1937 Rolls Royce 25/30 James Young Sports Saloon.
Chassis number: GUL73
Registration number: 618YUP
A rare & lovely sports saloon on the 25/30 Chassis clothed by James Young of Bromley; Believed to be one of three made to this design. Supplied through Rolls-Royce agents W H Johnson and Sons of Kings Lynn, it was delivered to Major William Parker, an equerry to King George V (who died shortly before the car was delivered), the car being a regular visitor to the Sandringham Estate where Major Parker had a grace and favour residence - Babingly Hall.
It is understood that the car was laid up during World War Two, thereafter passing into the ownership of Mr F Dane. An RAC inspection from 1956 states that the mileage at this time was 43,285 miles, the car then being in the ownership of Mr Bell who kept the car for almost 50 years until his death in 2005. During his tenure, Mr Bell kept copious notes, including retaining a vast number of invoices and detailed correspondence relating to servicing, repair and improvements. The car thus comes with a voluminous history file with bills dating back to the 1950's
Between 1985 and 1986, the car underwent a major restoration by Phantom Motors of Farnham which included a bare metal respray, rebuilt running-boards, full undersealing, a replacement cylinder head with new valves and guides and a stainless steel exhaust. The brakes were also overhauled including a replacement brake servo, fresh linings as well as work to the interior leather and seats. The woodwork was restored along with new carpets and attention to the wiring including the fitment of modern indicators to supplement the original semaphore arms (which these days are a mystery to any fellow motorist under the age of 50!).
The cost of this work amounted to over £15,000, the recorded mileage at this time being 85,882 miles. After Mr Bell’s death, the vehicle passed through two further owners who added fewer than 300 miles to the total before entering the hands of the current owner in 2011. During his ownership, the car has been sympathetically maintained and improved with various mechanical and cosmetic improvements and comes with a correct flying lady mascot and two town-caps.
The car has attended numerous RREC rallies having added some 1,500 miles since acquisition. Described by the last owner as a first time starter, he adds that the current mileage is still less than 88,000 miles from new which is backed up by literally hundreds of documents spanning some 60 years.
The car is finished in a pleasing deep red over black with the paint being really fine throughout. To the interior is beautiful Walnut woodwork with particularly fine figuring, having been all refinished, with very delicate fine filets round the window frames. The interior leather has been replaced in some areas but the seats themselves appear as original, albeit re-connolised. New grey leather bound carpets are fitted throughout. A pair of Walnut picnic tables fold out of the front seat backs.
This is a fine driving car in particularly good order with a warranted low mileage chassis. It is currently at The Priory Vintage Car co for a service & checking of the timing & brake servo etc as we noticed the brakes to a little hard on our test drive.
A gallery of large high resolution pictures may be viewed at http://www.vandp.net by clicking the "More Pictures" button.
Be sure to view image in "Original" format if you wish for a close up view. Menu is to right of picture.
Office 01442 236711
Richard Biddulph 07967 260673
Adi 07853 226940
We accept Credit/Debit Cards.
Part Exchange welcome.
Weekend & evening viewings OK.
Viewings by appointment :
9 Globe Industrial Estate,
Grays, Essex, RM17 6ST