- Original Engine C8BL
- Body Design No. B1075/M
- Original engine, body and London registration, FXP 472
- One of 100 \"LE\" Series 4-1/4 L. chassis built
- Stylish Derby Bentley ideal for touring
In 1931, Rolls-Royce acquired Bentley Motors from W.O. Bentley with the promise to continue building Bentley motorcars. For two years, they struggled to build a sporting car that would attract new buyers. The first \"Derby\" Bentley was a 3-1/2 litre with a chassis based on the 20/25 but a high-performance engine. In 1936, the engine was increased to 4-1/4 litres and the result was the much desired \"silent sports car\".
Recently, the \"Derby Bentleys\" have become popular as few pre-war cars offer such graceful coachwork and exceptional handing and power. The 4-1/4 Litre provides brisk acceleration, responsive handling and a top speed of 90 m.p.h. making it an ideal touring car.
The first owner, J.T. Johnson of Eastbourne, England had the chassis delivered to Thrupp and Maberly for bodywork. A \"phaeton\" style all-weather body was fitted to the car. This was the last of nine of design number B 1075/M fitted to a 4-1/4 L. Derby chassis. A characteristic of this design was that all doors were hung from the 'B' post and the hood, when folded, sits above the level of the doors.
Chassis No B137LE retains its original bodywork, chassis and engine and is a fully documented \"numbers matching\" car. It is finished in black over midnight blue with blue-gray leather and walnut trim.
The first owner, J.T. Johnson of Eastbourne, England had the chassis delivered to Thrupp and Maberly for a all-weather body. Only 3 were built, each being slightly different. It comes complete with books, tools and the history file.
B137LE is pictured on page 113 of \"All The Pre-War Bentleys - As New\" by Stanley Sedgewick and on page 201 of \"Bentley: Fifty Years of the Marque\" by Johnnie Green.The car has been completely restored and is ready for club events, concours d'elegance or the open road.