Alfa Romeo 6C 1750 Turismo
Chassis number: 0411875
Registration number: ST6093
This 1750 was first registered on March 5th 1930 to a Mr. George Couper, an Inverness trawler owner and, according to his daughters, it remained in the family ownership until 1950 when it was given to a relation. Its whereabouts up to March 1956 is unclear but it may still have been in the family ownership. A continuation log book, dated March 1956, records six owners up to 1968. It was then purchased by the last owner in 1984 from Mr.Dan Margulies and it is thought to have been off the road since the last book entry. The speedometer reading of 59,750 miles can logically believed to be correct, as the car was laid up during World War II and not accounted for from the last book entry to 1984 and not driven again until 2011, almost fifty years.
The decision was made to carry out a full restoration and a detailed rebuild of the chassis and all the mechanical components was commenced in 1992 by the last owner, an automobile engineer of considerable skill and who was Rob Walker's mechanic with over fifty years' experience with the Alfa Romeo marque, having also owned many, including two Zagato variants.
A number of improvements were carried out during the work to make the Alfa Romeo more reliable and comfortable for long distance touring; the most significant being to the engine where the compression ratio was raised from 5.2 to 7.2-1. Modern shell bearings were fitted to the crankshaft and new con rods were added with a full flow filtered oil system. The result is that the car has better performance than the twin-cam variant of the pre-war 1750 engine. New lower vertical and cross shaft gear sets were fitted. The camshaft was re-ground and installed with new line bored bearings valves and caps. The water pump was overhauled and fitted with a stainless steel impeller. New gears were made for the oil pump and a new set of sliding gears and all new bearings and seals were fitted to the gearbox. The rear axle gear and pinion were replaced with a new set raising the ratio from 10/55 to 12/49. This higher ratio has made the car more comfortable to drive and has improved the fuel consumption. All the components were dismantled for examination and restored as necessary; every bearing and seal was replaced. A new wiring harness was made, and modifications to the side and rear lamps enabled flashing indicators to be incorporated. A discreet installation of an electronic ignition system has ensured the engine is performing at its best. Extensive new ash wood framing was created to replace unserviceable original wood, using the old wood as a template.
The interior is trimmed with the finest leather from the Bridge of Weir factory in Scotland. The wood trim veneer is highly figured North American black burr walnut, book matched on the instrument panel, door facings and rear side trims. The hood is Mohair and the head lining, wool cloth. The colour is Midnight Blue with a grey line on the exterior waist moulding to match the interior trim.
Only the very best materials were used throughout the rebuild which was completed in 2011. Since that time, the car has covered about 2,000 miles. There is an extensive & exhaustive file of the bills and photographs of the work carried out, plus the genuine original handbook and period photographs of the car.
This Alfa Romeo motor car is one of only a handful to survive and must be one of the very best examples of the iconic 1750 to be found anywhere. It is in concours condition & wants for absolutely nothing. It is always a pleasure to handle a car of this quality needing no excuses whatsoever.
A large gallery of high resolution pictures may be viewed on our web site at http://www.vandp.net
Office 01375 379719
Richard Biddulph 07967 260673
Paul Fox 07955 588019
We accept Credit/Debit Cards.
Part Exchange welcome.
Weekend & evening viewings OK.
Viewings by appointment :
9 Globe Industrial Estate,
Grays, Essex, RM17 6ST