The Lincoln Motor Company was founded in 1917 by Henry Leland to produce Liberty Aero engines during World War I. Leland, who had founded Cadillac in 1903, decided to re-enter the luxury car market after the war was over with a new car; the Lincoln.
It had taken a few years for the Lincoln's to convert to automotive production, and this was due to Leland's quest for excellence and perfection. A nationwide recession after the War put Lincoln into receivership and was later rescued by Henry Ford. The company was purchased for eight million dollars in 1922. Leland remained with the company for only four months, as a dispute between Leland and Ford had him abandon the Lincoln Company and ultimately the automotive business forever.
The Lincoln automobiles became Ford's flagship vehicles with the direction of the company put into the control of Henry's son, Edsel. Many of the cars were designed by legendary coachbuilders such as Brunn, Judkins, Willoughby, Murphy and Locke who outfitted the cars with some of the most desirable custom creations.
The first model, the Model L was produced from 1921 to 1930 in total Lincoln produced 64.738 cars with twenty models to choose from. The price of between $4,600 and $6,600 made the car only available to the most well-to-do.
The Model L, powered by a V-8 was comparable in size and price to a Cadillac, but had a larger more powerful engine. The 136-inch wheelbase could be fitted with custom built coachwork. Under the bonnet was a 384.8 cubic-inch L-head V8 engine that had three main bearings and Stromberg carburetors, it was capable of producing 90 horsepower. There was a three-speed sliding gear transmission and four-wheel mechanical drum brakes. Top speed was achieved at 80 mph with fuel consumption of 12 miles per gallon.
This 1929 Lincoln Model L Sport Phaeton with chassis number 57919 and body type 163B with body nr. 13-291 from coach builder Locke was new delivered here in Holland. The first owner Mr. M. van Marwijk Kooy from the Bilt bought the car through the famous Dutch coach built company Schutter & van Bakel located in Amsterdam. The family van Marwijk Kooy still owns a property called van Vollenhoven in the Bilt. There are pictures present from our Lincoln in front of the house on the property. In 1937 the family drove with the car to Garmisch-Partenkirchen in Germany for vacation (see picture).
The last owner bought the car in this nice condition in September 1993 in a classic car action from Troostwijk and had it in his private museum sins than. Recently the complete technics are checked and full serviced, this model L is in very nice condition and drives fantastic.
At this moment we do not have the complete history covered, so when you know more about this car and especially about the period 1937 – 1993 we would love to hear it.
For more information please contact us.