The global magazine and marketplace for classic car enthusiasts, by enthusiasts.
The global magazine and marketplace for classic car enthusiasts, by enthusiasts.


This was a Fire truck manufacturer, founded in 1910 by John P Ahrens and Charles H Fox and built its first motorized fire engine in 1911. By the end of the following year production of horse-drawn fire apparatus ceased completely. Since then, over 1500 pieces of fire apparatus were built until 1977. Ahrens-Fox fire engines were recognizable by the chromed sphere above the pump that held air and smoothed the outgoing pressure fluctuations from the piston pump.
During the year 1913 only, Ahrens-Fox built a 44 hp (following then-actual rating practice) automobile. Like at rival American LaFrance, the idea was to sell these cars to bigger fire brigades as a car of duty for their chiefs. Also like at ALF, it was not successful for Ahrens-Fox either, although for Ahrens-Fox the results were more consequential; there was only one model, a huge six-cylinder called the E-C Battalion Roadster. It was guaranteed to go faster than 50 mph, and featured a four speed gearbox. A small pickup bed was added for some items that were thought to be useful for the head of a fire brigade, and was included in the base price. Only six of these roadster-pickups were built during 1913; it seems all stayed in Cincinnati. Ahrens-Fox abandoned the idea and never returned to it.
Source: Wikipedia
The information is written with the greatest of care. However, if you have any suggested amendments please contact us at office@prewarcar.com
Rauch & Lang were an old-established carriage building firm (founded 1853) when they began to make electric Rauch & Lang cars in 1905. These Rauch & Lang cars followed the usual pattern for such electric vehicles, being mainly closed town cars, although a few open phaeton Rauch & Lang cars were also made. The biggest Rauch & Lang cars were heavier vehicles and included a six-seater limousine with separate outside seat for the chauffeur. Some Rauch & Lang cars had 4-doors, a very unusual feature in electric cars. In 1916 the Rauch & Lang cars became part of the Baker, Rauch & Lane group and production declined. From 1919 onwards the Rauch & Lang cars were sometimes listed as Raulangs, and from 1922 this became the official name of the Rauch & Lang cars.
By this time production of Rauch & Lang cars had been transferred to the Stevens-Duryea factory at Chicopee Falls where the number of private cars made was very small. The factory, which was still turning out a few Stevens-Duryeas, also made petrol and electric taxi-cabs under the name Rauch & Lang cars, and bodies for Stanley Steamers.
Source: Georgano, encyclopedia of motorcar; GNG
The information is written with the greatest of care. However, if you have any suggested amendments please contact us at office@prewarcar.com

