The global magazine and marketplace for classic car enthusiasts, by enthusiasts.
The global magazine and marketplace for classic car enthusiasts, by enthusiasts.


Still active as a truck manufacturers within the Leyland Group, Albion was founded at the end of 1899 by T. Blackwood Murray and Norman Fulton, late of Arrol-Johnston and their early products were dogcarts with varnished-wood bodywork much in the Arrol-Johnston idiom, with 2-cylinder opposed-piston underfloor engines, low tension magneto ignition, and Murray’s patent governor. Wheel steering replaced the tiller in 1902, and a year later Albion began production of a 16hp vertical-twin which was made for many years, usually with solid tyres, and often with shooting-brake bodywork. ‘Cars for country houses’, especially Scottish ones, were a speciality of the house, though rather less rustic was a side-valve 5.6-litre chain-driven four introduced in 1906. This 24hp model had a seven-year production run. The last Albion passenger car was a 15hp Monobloc four with side valves in a T-head and worm drive, which sold for £475 in 1912. At the end of 1913 Albion elected to concentrade on commercial vehicles, though large shooting brakes using the 15hp engine continues to be made.
Source: Georgano, encyclopedia of motorcar; MCS
The information is written with the greatest of care. However, if you have any suggested amendments please contact us at office@prewarcar.com
The first Ariès motor vehicle was the delivery truck of 1903, which was powered by an Aster 2-cylinder engine. The Paris Salon of that year saw the first Ariès car, which was also Aster-powered. It was designed by Baron Charles Petiet. These Ariès were unremarkable machines, except for the feature of De Dion-type drive, the rear wheels being driven by shafts above a ‘dead’ axle. Not all Ariès were so furnished; some Ariès models were available with the choice of live axle or chain drive. By 1905, 4-cylinder Ariès cars as well as a twin were listed. Engines were still by Aster. 1908 brought a six and a narrow V4 engine of 60mm x 100mm, so compact that it was mistaken for a single and in 1910 Ariès catalogued the smallest 6-cylinder car in the world. All models had De Dion-type drive. The production of commercial Ariès vehicles took precedence over passenger cars towards the end of the decade. One Ariès for sale of the 1913 range, following the fashion, used a Knight double sleeve-valve engine.
After making Hispano-Suiza engines during World War 1, Ariès went back to cars, but still in a small way. Among the longest-lived models were the Ariès 15CV for sale and its close relative the Ariès 12CV, touring cars using a 4-cylinder sv engine with a cubic capacity of around three litres, and a 4-speed gearbox. From 1922 there was an Ariès Sport model with overhead camshaft and front wheel brakes. The smallest Ariès, the 5CV Ariès Type CC2 was worthy of more attention. It had a single overhead-camshaft engine of 1.085cc and (from 1924) four forward speeds. The 1929 Ariès CC4S sports model, with two plugs per cylinder, was a fast car. The Ariès 15CV was still there, but by the end of 1930 both it and the Ariès CC4S had gone, making way for the 1½-litre Aries CB4 and its successor the slightly bigger Ariès CC4N, current until 1934. The 4-cylinder, 10CV Ariès Super of 1934-1938 boasted a 2-speed rear axle.
Source: Georgano, encyclopedia of motorcar; TRN
The information is written with the greatest of care. However, if you have any suggested amendments please contact us at office@prewarcar.com


