The global magazine and marketplace for classic car enthusiasts, by enthusiasts.
The global magazine and marketplace for classic car enthusiasts, by enthusiasts.








This famous North Country engineering firm had previously manufactured the Wilson-Pilcher car, which was still being made in 1904-1905. The first Armstrong-Whitworth as such appeared in 1906, with T-headed oversquare 4-cylinder engines, low-tension magneto ignition, 4-speed gearboxes and shaft drive. By 1908 production was concentrated on a solid 7.7-litre 40 costing £789 in chassis form, this being joined a year later by a smaller Armstrong-Whitworth 18/22 of 3.4-litres’ capacity with a 5-bearing crankshaft. Pressure lubcrication and a Monobloc engine were features of the Armstrong-Whitworth company’s 191 2.4-litre model and the five types listed in 1912 ranged from a 2.7-litre Armstrong-Whitworth 15-20 up to a big 5.1-litre six with 4-speed gearbox, dual magneto ignition, a power tyre pump and optional electric lighting – the chassis cost £950. At the outbreak of World War 1 Armstrong-Whitworth were marketing three L-head fours, the biggest of which was a 3.8-litre Armstrong-Whitworth 30/40 with a 10ft 6in wheelbase, as well as an enlarged 5.7-litre version of their 6-cylinder Armstrong-Whitworth 30/50. Their solid reputation and workmanship was transferred after the war to the Armstong Siddeleys produced as a result of the merger with Siddeley-Deasy of Coventry, though no more cars were built at the Newcastle factory.
Source: Georgano, encyclopedia of motorcar; MCS
The information is written with the greatest of care. However, if you have any suggested amendments please contact us at office@prewarcar.com

