The global magazine and marketplace for classic car enthusiasts, by enthusiasts.
The global magazine and marketplace for classic car enthusiasts, by enthusiasts.




The early American Austin was known as The Highway King. Despite an output of 50 or less units per year, it was something of a pioneer in a number of ways. The 1902 2-cylinder Austin models were much larger than most contemporary makes and for several years, although colours were optional, most of these big Austin cars for sale were painted either white with tan trim or light brown. By 1911, the Austin cars were equipped with electric lights and left-hand steering. Two years later, Austins featured a highly successful two-speed axle, with wheel-base up to 11ft 10in. After 1915, this Austin company attempted to market smaller and cheaper cars and also introduced a 12-cylinder model in 1917 which was produced until the firm ceased operations. About 1000 cars were made altogether.
Herbert Austin resigned from the general managership of Wolseley in 1905, and formed his own company: Austin-Motor Co Ltd. Austin did not, however, pursue the development of the horizontal engine, but switched to more conventional designs using sv in-line units with T-heads, separately-cast cylinders and chain drive, first supplemented and then supplanted by shaft-driven cars. Most Austins of the pre-1914 period, were fours, though sixes were marketed from 1908 to 1913, the Austin 60hp being a really big machine of 9.7 litres’ capacity. There was also an Austin 1100cc single for sale in the 1909-1911 period, but this was really a Swift distinguishable only from the Coventry company’s version by its radiator. In 1909 Austin marketed a 15hp 4-cylinder town carriage with cab-over-engine layout at £475; at this time they were also making Gladiators for the British market. In 1910 a 1.6-litre 4-cylinder Austin Ten was made for export only, being introduced to the home market the following year. In 1914, when Austin became a public company, three 4-cylinder Austin models were listed, the largest, a Austin 30 of nearly 6-litres’ capacity, having electric lighting and starting.
After World War 1, Austin tried a one-model policy with a 3.6-litre Monobloc sv 4-cylinder Austin Twenty; the price had to be raised from £495 to £695 during the first year of production, which landed Austin in the hands of the official receiver, though the Austin Twenty car proved a great success and was made and for sale until 1929. Despite financial troubles, however, the Austin company came up in 1921 with their second great vintage design, the 1661cc Austin Twelve, one of the hardest-wearing machines of all time.
Enlarged to 1.9-litres in 1927, it remained in the Austin-catalogue, always with magneto ignition, right up to 1936, and survived in production as a taxicab into the 1940s. Finally, 1922 saw the Austin Seven for sale, one of the greatest of all baby cars; it gave 13bhp from 747cc, killed the cyclecar and boasted 4-wheel brakes, though these were not coupled until late 1930. The pedal worked the front ones and the lever the rear. By 1929, an Austin Seven supercharged sports version had 32bhp, still with a 2-bearing crankshaft; the 3-bearing crankshaft came out with the 1937 Austin Seven models. The Seven was extensively raced by the Austin works; among its countless successes were a third place in the 1929 TT, and a win in the 1930 B.R.D.C. 500-Mile Race at Brooklands. Its descendants were legion; the Austin Seven was made in Germany by Dixi and their successors BMW; In France by Rosengart, In Japan by Datsun and in the USA by the American Austin Co. Even after production ceased at Longbridge at the end of 1938, manufacture of the engine was taken over by Reliant and continued up to 1962.
6-cylinder Austin cars reappeared in the range in 1927 with a 3.4-litre Austin Twenty for sale, usually found with limousine bodywork, followed by a 2 ¼-litre coil-ignition Austin Sixteen for sale in 1928. A less successful 1 ½-litre Austin Six was introduced in 1931, but Austin found another winner in the 1.1-litre Austin Ten for sale in 1932, which was made until 1947. In 1934 the company offered a choice of over 50 models – the Austin Seven, the Austin Ten, a 1 ½-litre Light Austin 12/4, the old Austin Twelve and five Austin Sixes from 1496cc to 3400cc – not to mention semisports versions of some of the smaller Austin cars. Synchromesh was now standard, with the option of the American Hayes automatic gearbox on 16 and 18hp models only. In 1936 the Austin company sponsored a team of three short-stroke twin ohc 750cc supercharged Austin racing cars designed by Murray Jamieson, which had nothing in common with the ordinary Seven except for the transverse-leaf front suspension. Their engines developed 116bhp at 9000rpm and they were raced until the outbreak of World War 2.
Austin styling received a face-lift in 1937, and again in 1939 when alligator bonnets came in with the 900cc 8hp which replaced the Austin Seven, but the image remained the same – solid and well-furnished cars of great durability appealing to the more conservative type of owner. Girling mechanical brakes were used. The first sign of a more progressive attitude came in 1945, when a 2.2-litre ohv 4-cylinder Austin Sixteen came out using the chassis and body of the 1940 Austin Twelve; this proved quite as durable as the famous Austins of the 1920s, and the engine was still being used in taxis and the 4x4 Gipsy in 1967. Coil and wishbone independent front suspension appeared in 1947 on the luxurious and traditionally-styled ohv 4-litre 6-cylinder Austin Sheerline and Austin Princess, and these were followed by the 1.2-litre Austin A40 Dorset and Austin Devon saloons with overhead valves and independently sprung at the front, which did well in America and helped Austin to sell over 85.000 cars in 1928. A further bid for dollar exports came with the big 4-cylinder Austin A90 power-top convertible – successful long-distance record work at Indianapolis failed to attract many buyers, though the engine had a long run in the first Austin-Healeys.
Austin merged with Morris to form the British Motor Corporation in 1952, when there appeared their first unitary-construction car, the 803cc Austin A30. The Healey sports car came under Austin’s aegis that year, and in 1954 Austin-Healeyy started to make the little Metropolitan coupés and convertibles for Nash. In style these were Nash Airflytes in miniature, with 3-speed gearboxes. They were powered initially by the Austin A40 engine and later by the 1 ½-litre Austin A50. Production continued until 1961. From 1955 onwards all Austins save the 4-litre models had unitary construction, new models that year being the Austin Cambridge with A40 and A50 engines, and the 2.6-litre 6-cylinder Austin Westminster. The big Austin Princess saloon went over to automatic transmission in 1957, and these Vanden Plas-bodied models subsequently (in 1960) became a make in their own right, under the name of Vanden Plas Princess. In 1959 the 948cc Austin A40 appeared with Farina styling; this was later made in Italy under licence by Innocenti and pave the way to a rationalized range of 1½-litre saloons in the Farina idiom, made in Morris, MG, Wolsely, and Riley forms as well as the basic Austin Cambridge.
1960 saw a new Austin Seven, the first of Alec Issigonis’s Minis, which Morris sold as the Mini-Minor. It had a 848cc ohv 4-cylinder engine mounted transversely and driving the front wheels, the 4-speed gearbox lived in the sump, all wheels were independently sprung by rubber in torsion, and it had an unmistakable box-like silhouette. The name Mini was soon applied to all versions, Austin as well as Morris, and the car not only became a best-seller, but distinguished itself in competition as well, with numerous rally wins to its credit. Mini-Cooper versions joined the range in 1962, the hottest standard version in 1968 being the 1.275cc Cooper S with 76bhp and front disc brakes; later developments include a 4x4 Mini-Moke for off-the-road travel. Logical developments were the 4-door 1100 saloon with interlinked Hydrolastic suspension (introduced as a Morris in 1963, with an Austin version listed in 1964), and the bigger 1800 of 1965. Minis acquired Hydrolastic suspension in 1965, and all the smaller fwd cars were available with an automatic gearbox in 1967. Both the Mini and the 1100 are made for the Italian market by Innocenti.
Improvements in 1968 included all-synchromesh gearboxes for Minis and an alternative 1275cc engine for the 1100. A special ‘federalized’ version of this Austin 1300, the 2-door Austin America with automatic transmission, went on sale in the USA. At the same time the 6-cylinder A110 gave way to a new 3-litre, combining the Austin 1800’s hull design and Hydrolastic suspension with the existing engine and conventional rear-wheel drive. This one, however, coincided with the merger of B.M.C and Leyland interests in January 1968; it was slow into production, never caught on, and was discontinued in 1971. Later in the year came Mk II versions of the Austin 1800 with 86bhp engines and optional power steering, made as Morrises and Wolseley as well as Austins. An A60 replacement came in 1969; the 1½-litre Maxi in the Issigonis tradition with fwd and transverse engine. New were the 5-bearing engine with chain-driven ohc, the 5-speed all-synchromesh gearbox, and the 5-door semi-estate car body; by 1971 it had acquired a more satisfactory rod-operated gearchange and the option of a 1748cc power unit.
In 1970 rationalization led to the replacement of the MG 1300 by the Austin 1300GT, and that August the former Austin and Nuffield elements in the British Leyland empire (Austin, MG, Morris, Vanden Plas and Wolseley) were merged to form the Austin-Morris devision. Already at the 1969 Earls Court Show the Mini had been made a marque in its own right, and by early 1971 basic versions of the 1100/ 1300 theme were sold as Austins only, Morris variants being dropped. The 3-litre six’s replacement appeared in 1972. This ADO 17 was based on the C6 already announced by British Leyland’s Australian branch, and was in essence an enlarged Maxi on which the transversely-mounted ohc 2.227cc engine drove the front wheels. Basic price was £1.246. With the 1100/1300, the Maxi and the 1800 making up the 1973 range, Austin now offered only fwd cars, a far cry from the conservatism of pre-World War 2 days. Automatic and high-performance variants were also added in 1973.
Source: Georgano, encyclopedia of motorcar; KM, MCS
The information is written with the greatest of care. However, if you have any suggested amendments please contact us at office@prewarcar.com
The American Benjamin Berkeley Hotchkiss set up his ordnance Horchkiss car factory at St. Denis in 1867; the Hotchkiss cars were the result of an arm slump. The work of Terrasse, these first Hotchkiss cars were T-headed fours with pair-cast cylinders, 5-ball-bearing crankshafts, low-tension magneto ignition, round honeycomb radiators, 4-speed gearboxes, and the famous Hotchkiss drive by live axle and open propeller shaft. Initially cylinder capacities of Hotchkiss cars were 4.6-litres and 7.4-litres, but the Hotchkiss car company’s first racers of 1904 were 17.8-litre monsters notable for their aiv and chain drive. Though their 1905 successors conformed once more to touring-car practice, they were even bigger Hotchkiss cars, with 18.815cc and an alleged 130bhp. Hotchkiss’s last racing season was 1906 with their Grand Prix Hotchkiss cars had 16.3-litre L-head units and quick-detachable wire wheels. Though these Hotchkiss cars were unsuccessful, Hotchkiss sold 167 cars that year, with gate change standardized, and a choice of five Hotchkiss car models: a short-lived 4.2-litre petrol brougham, fours of 18, 30 and 42hp, and their first six. The last-mentioned Hotckiss car was the large V-type that evolved into a 9½-litre machine and was still being offered in 1912 as a Hotckiss car. Chassis price was £1.000 and it was capable of 60mph.
The slump following the Agadir crisis led to the abandonment of ball-bearing crankshafts on Hotchkiss cars; at the same time there was a move towards smaller Hotchkiss cars with the 3.1-litre T-type, with side valves in an L-head and high-tension magneto ignition. Two years later came something even smaller and more modern, the 12/16hp Hotchkiss X-type with 2-bearing crankshaft and three forward speeds at £390. Soon monobloc engines spread up the range to the 3.7-litre Hotckiss AB of 1912. From 1911 there were some smaller L-head sixes, the 4.678cc Hotchkiss X6 and the 5½-litre Hotchkiss AC6; 1912 sales were a record 598 Hotchkiss cars. Electric lighting was available from 1913, and all the 1914 Hotchkiss car models – the 2.6-litre Hotchkiss AG, the 4-litre Hotchkiss AF, the 5.7-litre Hotchkiss AC, and the 6-cylinder Hotchkiss AC6 – had semi-elliptic suspension all round.
The wartime demand for Hotchkiss machine guns led to the establishment of a branch factory under the Englishman Harry Ainsworth, this subsequently making engines for W.R. Morris until it was absorbed by him in 1923. At home Hotchkiss sold off their surplus works capacity at Lyons and concentrated on a revised Hotchkiss car again, the AF with full electrics and a horseshoe-shaped radiator in place of the traditional round one. Its successor, the Hotchkiss AH of 1921, had cantilever rear springs and torque tube drive, and a year later came the Hotchkiss AL with ohv, and a detachable head; front-wheel brakes were added for 1923. There was also a prototype luxury Hotchkiss car at the 1921 Paris Salon; this Hotchkiss AK had a 6.6-litre 6-cylinder ohc engine, dual ignition, 4-speed unit gearbox, servo-assisted 4-wheel brakes, and a cruciform-braced frame, but it never went into production.
The return of Ainsworth to St. Denis in 1923, coincided with the construction of a new Hotchkiss car factory and a more realistic type of car, the 2.4-litre 12CV Hotchkiss AM, with 4-cylinder sv engine, 4-speed unit box, four-wheel brakes, wire hwwls, and Hotchkiss drive once more. Between 1924 and 1928 it was the Hotchkiss car company’s staple product, selling at the rate of over a thousand a year and offering a 70mph performance at a modest outlay. It persisted until 1932, acquiring ohv in 1926 and rod-operated brakes in 1928, and its engine was used in some Morris-Léon Bollées. Even better was the Hotchkiss AM80 of 1929, largely the work of Bertarione. This was a short-stroke (80x100mm), 7-bearing ohv 3-litre six that owed a good deal to the AM2, though early cars featured torque tube drive; it was to be the basis from which all subsequent Hotchkisses were evolved. A silent 3rd gearbox featured on 1931 Hotchkiss car models, Hotchkiss drive reappeared in 1932, and 1933 improvements included Bendix brakes, cruciform-braked frames, down-draught carburetors and mechanical fuel pumps. Hotchkiss AM80 engines were also fitted to Sizaire Frères and Tracta cars.
The 1933 Hotchkiss car range was expanded both up and down, with new Hotchkiss 12CV (2-litre) and 13CV (1.3-litre) fours for the economy market, and an 85mph fast tourer, the 100bhp 3½-litre Hotckiss AM80S, for the enthusiast. This Hotchkiss car was based on the car with which Vasselle won the 1932 Monte Carlo Rally. Hotchkiss cars repeated this success in 1933 and 1934: in the latter year the Hotchkiss cars collected two Glazier Cups in the Alpine Trial. There were further wins in the Monte Carlo in 1938 and 1939; on the latter occasion a Grand Sport Hotchkiss car tied with a 3½-litre Delahaye. Radiators were moved forward on the 1934 Hotchkiss cars, and the 3-litre gave way to a 2.650cc 15CV that was not a success and lasted only one season. The 1935 Hotchkiss cars had synchromesh and integral boots, and at the top of the 3½-litre 20CV range was the twin-carburettor Hotckiss Paris-Nice, a 115bhp sports car capable of 95mph. Hydraulic brakes appeared in 1936 on Hotchkiss cars (to be quietly dropped halfway through 1937). The sports 20CV engine was now giving 125-130bhp and when allied to a short 9ft 2in wheelbase resulted in the Hotchkiss Grand Sport, a true 100mph saloon.
By 1938 the horseshoe radiator on the Hotchkiss car was now a wire-mesh grille, but despite the exigencies of French rearmament programmes the Hotchkiss car company managed to deliver 2.751 Hotchkiss cars that year, made up of the two fours, the reinstated 3-litre Hotchkiss 680, and the 3½-litre Hotchkiss 686 in various forms, including seven-seater limousines with the single-carburettor 100bhp engine. Hotchkiss also came to the rescue of the ailing Amilcar concern, helping to make the Grégoire-inspired 1.185cc Compound, a small fwd saloon with unitary construction in Alpax; this was sold in England, though not in France, as a Hotchkiss car. A 1.3-litre ohv development, the Hotchkiss B67, was ready for production when France collapsed in the summer of 1940.
Hotchkiss never really recovered from World War 2, though Peugeot were briefly interested in the Hotchkiss car company and Hotchkiss 686 cars won the first two post-war Monte Carlo Rallies of 1949 and 1950. The Hotchkiss 12CV and Hotchkiss 20CV were back in production, unchanged, by 1946, but the first year’s output was a miserable 117 Hotchkiss cars. Hydraulic brakes and independent front suspension did not appear until 1949 on Hotchkiss cars (though Hotchkiss had experimented with the latter in 1937), and a Cotal electric gearbox became a factory option. The 1951 Hotchkiss car models were ‘facelifted’ with V-screens, recessed headlamps and auxiliary coil rear suspension, but in the meantime there had been an expensive mistake: the acquisition by Hotchkiss of the rights to the Grégoire flat-4. This ingenious device was a development of the 1938 Amilcar theme featuring all-round independent suspension and a 4-speed overdrive gearbox, as well as front wheel drive. Production Hotchkiss car models with 2.2-litre engines were said to achieve 95mph and 30mpg, but the teething troubles were endless, and Hotchkiss only managed to make 250 Hotchkiss cars in the end. There was a shutdown in 1952 and the price of recovery was a merger with Delahaye that led inevitably to concentration on commercial vehicles. The old Hotchkiss cars 13CV and 20CV received another facelift in time for the 1954 Paris Salon, but his was their swansong, though medium-powered trucks continued to be made until 1970, along with a version of the American Jeep built under licence.
Hotchkiss of Coventry, a British offshoot of the famous French Hotchkiss car firm, was set up during World War 1 to make engines in Britain. Their units became best known as the motive power for Morris and BSA light cars, but before they were taken over by William Morris, Hotchkiss experimented with a small car of their own. The Hotchkiss car consisted of their 1.080cc air-cooled V-twin ohv engine installed with a 3-speed gearbox in a pre-war Morris Oxford chassis. It never went into production.
Source: Georgano, encyclopedia of motorcar; MCS, TRN
The information is written with the greatest of care. However, if you have any suggested amendments please contact us at office@prewarcar.com

