The global magazine and marketplace for classic car enthusiasts, by enthusiasts.
The global magazine and marketplace for classic car enthusiasts, by enthusiasts.


The Benjamin was a typical attempt to build a 4-cylinder light car and still stay below the statutory French weight limit for cyclecars (350kg). Features on the Benjamin for sale were a 750cc sv engine and a 3-speed transaxle with no differential, and suspension followed Austin Seven lines: transverse at the front and quarter-elliptic at the rear. By 1923 this engine was giving 14bhp, long-chassis four-seater versions were catalogued, and an ohc Benjamin sports model was capable of 60mph. Unfortunately in 1924 there was an attempt by Benjamin at a true cyclecar for sale in the shape of a tiny staggered two-seater selling for 5.500fr. This had a 525cc air-cooled vertical twin 2-stroke engine and 2-speed gearbox mounted at the rear of a crude boat-shaped perimeter frame. There was also a similar 3-cylinder Benjamin 9cv model. Although Benjamin tried again with a rear-engined lightweight in 1925, this time with a 630cc 4-stroke motor, their regular offerings were now conventional machines powered by 945cc and 1100cc Chapuis-Dornier 4-cylinder engines, the latter available with ohv. These Benjamin cars had quarter-elliptic springing all round and worm drive. Four-wheel brakes were seen on the 1926 Paris Salon Benjamin cars for sale: these were the last Benjamins, though a year later the marque reappeared under the Benova name. The fours were continued, along with a small straight-8 using the new S.C.A.P. 1500cc ohv proprietary unit. The Benova was still quoted in 1931, when four 4-cylinder Benova models were offered, capacities ranging from 945cc to 2.1 litres.
Source: Georgano, encyclopedia of motorcar; MCS
The information is written with the greatest of care. However, if you have any suggested amendments please contact us at office@prewarcar.com
Rauch & Lang were an old-established carriage building firm (founded 1853) when they began to make electric Rauch & Lang cars in 1905. These Rauch & Lang cars followed the usual pattern for such electric vehicles, being mainly closed town cars, although a few open phaeton Rauch & Lang cars were also made. The biggest Rauch & Lang cars were heavier vehicles and included a six-seater limousine with separate outside seat for the chauffeur. Some Rauch & Lang cars had 4-doors, a very unusual feature in electric cars. In 1916 the Rauch & Lang cars became part of the Baker, Rauch & Lane group and production declined. From 1919 onwards the Rauch & Lang cars were sometimes listed as Raulangs, and from 1922 this became the official name of the Rauch & Lang cars.
By this time production of Rauch & Lang cars had been transferred to the Stevens-Duryea factory at Chicopee Falls where the number of private cars made was very small. The factory, which was still turning out a few Stevens-Duryeas, also made petrol and electric taxi-cabs under the name Rauch & Lang cars, and bodies for Stanley Steamers.
Source: Georgano, encyclopedia of motorcar; GNG
The information is written with the greatest of care. However, if you have any suggested amendments please contact us at office@prewarcar.com
