The global magazine and marketplace for classic car enthusiasts, by enthusiasts.
The global magazine and marketplace for classic car enthusiasts, by enthusiasts.









The BMW firm developed from the Bayerische Flugzeug-Werke, Munich founded in 1916 for the production of aero engines. In 1922 the name was changed to Bayerische Motoren-Werke, and production of engines for boats, lorries and motor cycles began. In 1923 the first BMW motor cycle appeared. In 1928 the Eisenach Dixi works were acquired and car production began with the BMW-Dixi, an Austin Seven built under license. BMW car production was carried on in Eisenach, while production of BMW motorcycles remained in Munich. The BMW-Dixi was succeeded in 1932 by the 800cc BMW 3/20ps model with tubular backbone chassis and independent suspension.
In 1933 came the first 6-cylinder model, the BMW 303 for sale). The range of sixes continued with the ‘BMW 315’(1.490cc, 34 and 40bhp) and ‘BMW 319’ (1.911cc, 45 and 55bhp). The triple-carburettor sports versions of these BMW cars laid the foundation for the famous BMW sports cars, noted for their speed and appearance. The engine of the ‘BMW 326’ (1971cc, 50bhp) became the basis for the ‘BMW 327’ and ‘BMW 328’. The BMW 327 used the 55bhp engine, while the most successful BMW 328 developed 80bhp. Two of this model’s most remarkable successes amongst many in races, rallies and trials were a class win at Le Mans and the winning of the 1940 abbreviated Mille Miglia. The ‘BMW 327/328’ used an 80bhp engine in the ‘BMW 327’ longer wheelbase chassis and was also very successful in competitions. The last pre-World War 2 model was the ‘BMW 335’ with a 3.485cc 90bhp engine. It was intended for the British market and only a few hundred BMW 335’s were built. From 1935 to 1939 BMW’s were imported into the United Kingdom and marketed under the name of Frazer Nash-BMW.
The Eisenach factory was lost through nationalization in 1945. Production of BMW motorcycles was taken up again in the Munich factory and facilities for BMW car production were prepared. The first Munich-built BMW car appeared in 1952, the ‘BMW 501’ with a 6-cylinder 1.971cc engine, based on the last pre-war designs. This started the range of 6- and 8-cylinder prestige BMW cars. The last of this range was the ‘BMW 3200’ CS 2-door coupé with 3.2-litre 160bhp engine for sale. In 1955 BMW started production of the Isetta bubble car under licence, and this was followed in 1957 by the BMW ‘600’ 4-seater based on it. In 1960 the ‘BMW 700’ appeared with a 697cc air-cooled opposed twin-cylinder engine mounted in the rear. In 1962 BMW began to produce medium sized cars again, bringing out the 4-cylinder ‘BMW 1500’ (80bhp), which was developed into the ‘BMW 1800’(90bhp). The ‘BMW 1800TI’ and the ‘BMW 1800 TI/SA’ were tuned versions developing 110 and 130bhp respectively. In 1965 the ‘BMW 2000 C’ (100bhp) and the ‘BMW 2000 TI’ (120bhp) coupés appeared. In 1966 the ‘BMW 1600’ (83bhp), the ‘BMW 2000’ (100bhp) and the ‘BMW 2000 TI’ (120bhp) with 4-cylinder in-line engines of 1573cc and 1990cc capacity were added to the range. In 1967 the Frazer Nash-BMW name was revived for a special luxury model of the ‘BMW 2000TI’, selling in England for £1830. New for 1968 were the BMW 2002 for sale, combining the 135bhp 2-litre engine with the BMW 1600 chassis, and the BMW 1600GT, which used the body of the former Glas 1700, a result of the BMW-Glas merger of 1967. In 1969 the BMW company produced their first six since 1958, the BMW 2500. Mechanically this derived from the existing fours, but was powered by a 170bhp 2494cc 7-bearing engine. A bigger 2.8-litre version was also available By 1971 BMW were offering a 2985cc version with either twin carburetors or Bosch fuel injection; in the latter form it gave 200bhp. Also new in 1971 was a semi-estate car, the Touring, available in 1600, 1800, or 2000 guise. BMW ran a Formula 2 team in 1969, using special 1.6-litre engines in British Lola chassis, but though there were several victories in 1970, the BMW company retired from his branch of the sport after two seasons. The 1973 range embraced the 1600, 1800, 2000, and the sixes, as well as a new ohc BMW 520 for sale with 1990c 4-cylinder engine, wishbone and trailing-link front suspension, and saloon bodywork in the 2500 idiom. Options included 115bhp twin-carburettor or 130bhp fuel-injection models, and a choice of 4- and 5-speed manual and automatic transmissions. A 200bhp derivative of this unit powered a prototype mid-engined coupé, the turbo, with all-disc brakes.
Source: Georgano, encyclopedia of motorcar; HON
The information is written with the greatest of care. However, if you have any suggested amendments please contact us at office@prewarcar.com
The American Benjamin Berkeley Hotchkiss set up his ordnance Horchkiss car factory at St. Denis in 1867; the Hotchkiss cars were the result of an arm slump. The work of Terrasse, these first Hotchkiss cars were T-headed fours with pair-cast cylinders, 5-ball-bearing crankshafts, low-tension magneto ignition, round honeycomb radiators, 4-speed gearboxes, and the famous Hotchkiss drive by live axle and open propeller shaft. Initially cylinder capacities of Hotchkiss cars were 4.6-litres and 7.4-litres, but the Hotchkiss car company’s first racers of 1904 were 17.8-litre monsters notable for their aiv and chain drive. Though their 1905 successors conformed once more to touring-car practice, they were even bigger Hotchkiss cars, with 18.815cc and an alleged 130bhp. Hotchkiss’s last racing season was 1906 with their Grand Prix Hotchkiss cars had 16.3-litre L-head units and quick-detachable wire wheels. Though these Hotchkiss cars were unsuccessful, Hotchkiss sold 167 cars that year, with gate change standardized, and a choice of five Hotchkiss car models: a short-lived 4.2-litre petrol brougham, fours of 18, 30 and 42hp, and their first six. The last-mentioned Hotckiss car was the large V-type that evolved into a 9½-litre machine and was still being offered in 1912 as a Hotckiss car. Chassis price was £1.000 and it was capable of 60mph.
The slump following the Agadir crisis led to the abandonment of ball-bearing crankshafts on Hotchkiss cars; at the same time there was a move towards smaller Hotchkiss cars with the 3.1-litre T-type, with side valves in an L-head and high-tension magneto ignition. Two years later came something even smaller and more modern, the 12/16hp Hotchkiss X-type with 2-bearing crankshaft and three forward speeds at £390. Soon monobloc engines spread up the range to the 3.7-litre Hotckiss AB of 1912. From 1911 there were some smaller L-head sixes, the 4.678cc Hotchkiss X6 and the 5½-litre Hotchkiss AC6; 1912 sales were a record 598 Hotchkiss cars. Electric lighting was available from 1913, and all the 1914 Hotchkiss car models – the 2.6-litre Hotchkiss AG, the 4-litre Hotchkiss AF, the 5.7-litre Hotchkiss AC, and the 6-cylinder Hotchkiss AC6 – had semi-elliptic suspension all round.
The wartime demand for Hotchkiss machine guns led to the establishment of a branch factory under the Englishman Harry Ainsworth, this subsequently making engines for W.R. Morris until it was absorbed by him in 1923. At home Hotchkiss sold off their surplus works capacity at Lyons and concentrated on a revised Hotchkiss car again, the AF with full electrics and a horseshoe-shaped radiator in place of the traditional round one. Its successor, the Hotchkiss AH of 1921, had cantilever rear springs and torque tube drive, and a year later came the Hotchkiss AL with ohv, and a detachable head; front-wheel brakes were added for 1923. There was also a prototype luxury Hotchkiss car at the 1921 Paris Salon; this Hotchkiss AK had a 6.6-litre 6-cylinder ohc engine, dual ignition, 4-speed unit gearbox, servo-assisted 4-wheel brakes, and a cruciform-braced frame, but it never went into production.
The return of Ainsworth to St. Denis in 1923, coincided with the construction of a new Hotchkiss car factory and a more realistic type of car, the 2.4-litre 12CV Hotchkiss AM, with 4-cylinder sv engine, 4-speed unit box, four-wheel brakes, wire hwwls, and Hotchkiss drive once more. Between 1924 and 1928 it was the Hotchkiss car company’s staple product, selling at the rate of over a thousand a year and offering a 70mph performance at a modest outlay. It persisted until 1932, acquiring ohv in 1926 and rod-operated brakes in 1928, and its engine was used in some Morris-Léon Bollées. Even better was the Hotchkiss AM80 of 1929, largely the work of Bertarione. This was a short-stroke (80x100mm), 7-bearing ohv 3-litre six that owed a good deal to the AM2, though early cars featured torque tube drive; it was to be the basis from which all subsequent Hotchkisses were evolved. A silent 3rd gearbox featured on 1931 Hotchkiss car models, Hotchkiss drive reappeared in 1932, and 1933 improvements included Bendix brakes, cruciform-braked frames, down-draught carburetors and mechanical fuel pumps. Hotchkiss AM80 engines were also fitted to Sizaire Frères and Tracta cars.
The 1933 Hotchkiss car range was expanded both up and down, with new Hotchkiss 12CV (2-litre) and 13CV (1.3-litre) fours for the economy market, and an 85mph fast tourer, the 100bhp 3½-litre Hotckiss AM80S, for the enthusiast. This Hotchkiss car was based on the car with which Vasselle won the 1932 Monte Carlo Rally. Hotchkiss cars repeated this success in 1933 and 1934: in the latter year the Hotchkiss cars collected two Glazier Cups in the Alpine Trial. There were further wins in the Monte Carlo in 1938 and 1939; on the latter occasion a Grand Sport Hotchkiss car tied with a 3½-litre Delahaye. Radiators were moved forward on the 1934 Hotchkiss cars, and the 3-litre gave way to a 2.650cc 15CV that was not a success and lasted only one season. The 1935 Hotchkiss cars had synchromesh and integral boots, and at the top of the 3½-litre 20CV range was the twin-carburettor Hotckiss Paris-Nice, a 115bhp sports car capable of 95mph. Hydraulic brakes appeared in 1936 on Hotchkiss cars (to be quietly dropped halfway through 1937). The sports 20CV engine was now giving 125-130bhp and when allied to a short 9ft 2in wheelbase resulted in the Hotchkiss Grand Sport, a true 100mph saloon.
By 1938 the horseshoe radiator on the Hotchkiss car was now a wire-mesh grille, but despite the exigencies of French rearmament programmes the Hotchkiss car company managed to deliver 2.751 Hotchkiss cars that year, made up of the two fours, the reinstated 3-litre Hotchkiss 680, and the 3½-litre Hotchkiss 686 in various forms, including seven-seater limousines with the single-carburettor 100bhp engine. Hotchkiss also came to the rescue of the ailing Amilcar concern, helping to make the Grégoire-inspired 1.185cc Compound, a small fwd saloon with unitary construction in Alpax; this was sold in England, though not in France, as a Hotchkiss car. A 1.3-litre ohv development, the Hotchkiss B67, was ready for production when France collapsed in the summer of 1940.
Hotchkiss never really recovered from World War 2, though Peugeot were briefly interested in the Hotchkiss car company and Hotchkiss 686 cars won the first two post-war Monte Carlo Rallies of 1949 and 1950. The Hotchkiss 12CV and Hotchkiss 20CV were back in production, unchanged, by 1946, but the first year’s output was a miserable 117 Hotchkiss cars. Hydraulic brakes and independent front suspension did not appear until 1949 on Hotchkiss cars (though Hotchkiss had experimented with the latter in 1937), and a Cotal electric gearbox became a factory option. The 1951 Hotchkiss car models were ‘facelifted’ with V-screens, recessed headlamps and auxiliary coil rear suspension, but in the meantime there had been an expensive mistake: the acquisition by Hotchkiss of the rights to the Grégoire flat-4. This ingenious device was a development of the 1938 Amilcar theme featuring all-round independent suspension and a 4-speed overdrive gearbox, as well as front wheel drive. Production Hotchkiss car models with 2.2-litre engines were said to achieve 95mph and 30mpg, but the teething troubles were endless, and Hotchkiss only managed to make 250 Hotchkiss cars in the end. There was a shutdown in 1952 and the price of recovery was a merger with Delahaye that led inevitably to concentration on commercial vehicles. The old Hotchkiss cars 13CV and 20CV received another facelift in time for the 1954 Paris Salon, but his was their swansong, though medium-powered trucks continued to be made until 1970, along with a version of the American Jeep built under licence.
Hotchkiss of Coventry, a British offshoot of the famous French Hotchkiss car firm, was set up during World War 1 to make engines in Britain. Their units became best known as the motive power for Morris and BSA light cars, but before they were taken over by William Morris, Hotchkiss experimented with a small car of their own. The Hotchkiss car consisted of their 1.080cc air-cooled V-twin ohv engine installed with a 3-speed gearbox in a pre-war Morris Oxford chassis. It never went into production.
Source: Georgano, encyclopedia of motorcar; MCS, TRN
The information is written with the greatest of care. However, if you have any suggested amendments please contact us at office@prewarcar.com
