The global magazine and marketplace for classic car enthusiasts, by enthusiasts.
The global magazine and marketplace for classic car enthusiasts, by enthusiasts.









The early American Austin was known as The Highway King. Despite an output of 50 or less units per year, it was something of a pioneer in a number of ways. The 1902 2-cylinder Austin models were much larger than most contemporary makes and for several years, although colours were optional, most of these big Austin cars for sale were painted either white with tan trim or light brown. By 1911, the Austin cars were equipped with electric lights and left-hand steering. Two years later, Austins featured a highly successful two-speed axle, with wheel-base up to 11ft 10in. After 1915, this Austin company attempted to market smaller and cheaper cars and also introduced a 12-cylinder model in 1917 which was produced until the firm ceased operations. About 1000 cars were made altogether.
Herbert Austin resigned from the general managership of Wolseley in 1905, and formed his own company: Austin-Motor Co Ltd. Austin did not, however, pursue the development of the horizontal engine, but switched to more conventional designs using sv in-line units with T-heads, separately-cast cylinders and chain drive, first supplemented and then supplanted by shaft-driven cars. Most Austins of the pre-1914 period, were fours, though sixes were marketed from 1908 to 1913, the Austin 60hp being a really big machine of 9.7 litres’ capacity. There was also an Austin 1100cc single for sale in the 1909-1911 period, but this was really a Swift distinguishable only from the Coventry company’s version by its radiator. In 1909 Austin marketed a 15hp 4-cylinder town carriage with cab-over-engine layout at £475; at this time they were also making Gladiators for the British market. In 1910 a 1.6-litre 4-cylinder Austin Ten was made for export only, being introduced to the home market the following year. In 1914, when Austin became a public company, three 4-cylinder Austin models were listed, the largest, a Austin 30 of nearly 6-litres’ capacity, having electric lighting and starting.
After World War 1, Austin tried a one-model policy with a 3.6-litre Monobloc sv 4-cylinder Austin Twenty; the price had to be raised from £495 to £695 during the first year of production, which landed Austin in the hands of the official receiver, though the Austin Twenty car proved a great success and was made and for sale until 1929. Despite financial troubles, however, the Austin company came up in 1921 with their second great vintage design, the 1661cc Austin Twelve, one of the hardest-wearing machines of all time.
Enlarged to 1.9-litres in 1927, it remained in the Austin-catalogue, always with magneto ignition, right up to 1936, and survived in production as a taxicab into the 1940s. Finally, 1922 saw the Austin Seven for sale, one of the greatest of all baby cars; it gave 13bhp from 747cc, killed the cyclecar and boasted 4-wheel brakes, though these were not coupled until late 1930. The pedal worked the front ones and the lever the rear. By 1929, an Austin Seven supercharged sports version had 32bhp, still with a 2-bearing crankshaft; the 3-bearing crankshaft came out with the 1937 Austin Seven models. The Seven was extensively raced by the Austin works; among its countless successes were a third place in the 1929 TT, and a win in the 1930 B.R.D.C. 500-Mile Race at Brooklands. Its descendants were legion; the Austin Seven was made in Germany by Dixi and their successors BMW; In France by Rosengart, In Japan by Datsun and in the USA by the American Austin Co. Even after production ceased at Longbridge at the end of 1938, manufacture of the engine was taken over by Reliant and continued up to 1962.
6-cylinder Austin cars reappeared in the range in 1927 with a 3.4-litre Austin Twenty for sale, usually found with limousine bodywork, followed by a 2 ¼-litre coil-ignition Austin Sixteen for sale in 1928. A less successful 1 ½-litre Austin Six was introduced in 1931, but Austin found another winner in the 1.1-litre Austin Ten for sale in 1932, which was made until 1947. In 1934 the company offered a choice of over 50 models – the Austin Seven, the Austin Ten, a 1 ½-litre Light Austin 12/4, the old Austin Twelve and five Austin Sixes from 1496cc to 3400cc – not to mention semisports versions of some of the smaller Austin cars. Synchromesh was now standard, with the option of the American Hayes automatic gearbox on 16 and 18hp models only. In 1936 the Austin company sponsored a team of three short-stroke twin ohc 750cc supercharged Austin racing cars designed by Murray Jamieson, which had nothing in common with the ordinary Seven except for the transverse-leaf front suspension. Their engines developed 116bhp at 9000rpm and they were raced until the outbreak of World War 2.
Austin styling received a face-lift in 1937, and again in 1939 when alligator bonnets came in with the 900cc 8hp which replaced the Austin Seven, but the image remained the same – solid and well-furnished cars of great durability appealing to the more conservative type of owner. Girling mechanical brakes were used. The first sign of a more progressive attitude came in 1945, when a 2.2-litre ohv 4-cylinder Austin Sixteen came out using the chassis and body of the 1940 Austin Twelve; this proved quite as durable as the famous Austins of the 1920s, and the engine was still being used in taxis and the 4x4 Gipsy in 1967. Coil and wishbone independent front suspension appeared in 1947 on the luxurious and traditionally-styled ohv 4-litre 6-cylinder Austin Sheerline and Austin Princess, and these were followed by the 1.2-litre Austin A40 Dorset and Austin Devon saloons with overhead valves and independently sprung at the front, which did well in America and helped Austin to sell over 85.000 cars in 1928. A further bid for dollar exports came with the big 4-cylinder Austin A90 power-top convertible – successful long-distance record work at Indianapolis failed to attract many buyers, though the engine had a long run in the first Austin-Healeys.
Austin merged with Morris to form the British Motor Corporation in 1952, when there appeared their first unitary-construction car, the 803cc Austin A30. The Healey sports car came under Austin’s aegis that year, and in 1954 Austin-Healeyy started to make the little Metropolitan coupés and convertibles for Nash. In style these were Nash Airflytes in miniature, with 3-speed gearboxes. They were powered initially by the Austin A40 engine and later by the 1 ½-litre Austin A50. Production continued until 1961. From 1955 onwards all Austins save the 4-litre models had unitary construction, new models that year being the Austin Cambridge with A40 and A50 engines, and the 2.6-litre 6-cylinder Austin Westminster. The big Austin Princess saloon went over to automatic transmission in 1957, and these Vanden Plas-bodied models subsequently (in 1960) became a make in their own right, under the name of Vanden Plas Princess. In 1959 the 948cc Austin A40 appeared with Farina styling; this was later made in Italy under licence by Innocenti and pave the way to a rationalized range of 1½-litre saloons in the Farina idiom, made in Morris, MG, Wolsely, and Riley forms as well as the basic Austin Cambridge.
1960 saw a new Austin Seven, the first of Alec Issigonis’s Minis, which Morris sold as the Mini-Minor. It had a 848cc ohv 4-cylinder engine mounted transversely and driving the front wheels, the 4-speed gearbox lived in the sump, all wheels were independently sprung by rubber in torsion, and it had an unmistakable box-like silhouette. The name Mini was soon applied to all versions, Austin as well as Morris, and the car not only became a best-seller, but distinguished itself in competition as well, with numerous rally wins to its credit. Mini-Cooper versions joined the range in 1962, the hottest standard version in 1968 being the 1.275cc Cooper S with 76bhp and front disc brakes; later developments include a 4x4 Mini-Moke for off-the-road travel. Logical developments were the 4-door 1100 saloon with interlinked Hydrolastic suspension (introduced as a Morris in 1963, with an Austin version listed in 1964), and the bigger 1800 of 1965. Minis acquired Hydrolastic suspension in 1965, and all the smaller fwd cars were available with an automatic gearbox in 1967. Both the Mini and the 1100 are made for the Italian market by Innocenti.
Improvements in 1968 included all-synchromesh gearboxes for Minis and an alternative 1275cc engine for the 1100. A special ‘federalized’ version of this Austin 1300, the 2-door Austin America with automatic transmission, went on sale in the USA. At the same time the 6-cylinder A110 gave way to a new 3-litre, combining the Austin 1800’s hull design and Hydrolastic suspension with the existing engine and conventional rear-wheel drive. This one, however, coincided with the merger of B.M.C and Leyland interests in January 1968; it was slow into production, never caught on, and was discontinued in 1971. Later in the year came Mk II versions of the Austin 1800 with 86bhp engines and optional power steering, made as Morrises and Wolseley as well as Austins. An A60 replacement came in 1969; the 1½-litre Maxi in the Issigonis tradition with fwd and transverse engine. New were the 5-bearing engine with chain-driven ohc, the 5-speed all-synchromesh gearbox, and the 5-door semi-estate car body; by 1971 it had acquired a more satisfactory rod-operated gearchange and the option of a 1748cc power unit.
In 1970 rationalization led to the replacement of the MG 1300 by the Austin 1300GT, and that August the former Austin and Nuffield elements in the British Leyland empire (Austin, MG, Morris, Vanden Plas and Wolseley) were merged to form the Austin-Morris devision. Already at the 1969 Earls Court Show the Mini had been made a marque in its own right, and by early 1971 basic versions of the 1100/ 1300 theme were sold as Austins only, Morris variants being dropped. The 3-litre six’s replacement appeared in 1972. This ADO 17 was based on the C6 already announced by British Leyland’s Australian branch, and was in essence an enlarged Maxi on which the transversely-mounted ohc 2.227cc engine drove the front wheels. Basic price was £1.246. With the 1100/1300, the Maxi and the 1800 making up the 1973 range, Austin now offered only fwd cars, a far cry from the conservatism of pre-World War 2 days. Automatic and high-performance variants were also added in 1973.
Source: Georgano, encyclopedia of motorcar; KM, MCS
The information is written with the greatest of care. However, if you have any suggested amendments please contact us at office@prewarcar.com
The ‘Standard of the World’ started humbly as a single-cylinder car selling for $750. Henry M. Leland, its creator, had been associated with Henry Ford and has also built engines for Oldsmobile. The Model-A Cadillac was markedly similar to the early Fords in having a horizontal underfloor engine, 2-speed planetary transmission and central chain drive via a spur-type differential, but Cadillac’s 1½-litre inlet over exhaust power unit had one cylinder where Ford used two. There was no bonnet on the early Cadillac models. This very successful design remained in production until 1908, later improvements including rack-and-pinion steering, transverse front suspension and a dummy bonnet. The Cadillac marque was introduced to Britain by F.S. Bennett, who in 1908 conducted a ‘standardization test’ at Brooklands. Three single-cylinder Cadillac cars were dismantled and the parts mixed up – they were then reassembled and the vehicles run on the track. The R.A.C. awarded Cadillac the Dewar Trophy for this achievement.
A 30hp 4-cylinder Cadillac car with separate cylinders and copper jackets was announced for 1906 and 75.000 of this type Cadillac were sold before it was discontinued in 1914. The original planetary transmission gave way first to a conventional 3-speed box, and finally in 1914 to a 3-speed box with 2-speed back axle. Cadillac was one of the firms organized into the General Motors group in 1909 by W.C. Durant, and in 1910, when a 4-cylinder Cadillac tourer could be bought for $1600, the company was claiming that tolerance on 112 parts of the car were accurate to one-thousandth of an inch. 1912 saw a most important Cadillac innovation: the standardization of the Delco system of electric lighting and starting on the Cadillac, now of 5½-litres capacity and capable of 60mph. The first left-hand drive Cadillac of 1915 was also the first of the company’s V8s, to become as much a hallmark of the breed as were Buick’s overhead valves. Inspired by the De Dion Bouton of 1910 it had 5.1-litre engine and sold for $2700. 13.000 V8 Cadillac cars were sold in the first year of production and the model was widely used by the U.S. Army in World War 1. Cylinder heads were detachable from 1917 on, and 1924 Cadillac versions had Duco cellulose finish and front wheel brakes.
In 1927, when 47.000 Cadillac cars were sold, a less expensive companion make, La Salle appeared, and the cars were restyled in 1928. The synchromesh gearbox made its world debut with the 1929 Cadillac models, which also featured chromium plating and safety glass, with a price range from $3.295 to $5.995. 1930 saw the advent of the ohv Cadillac V16 of 7.4-litres, which gave 185bhp and had a wheelbase of 12ft 4in. This sold at an average rate of 500 Cadillac cars a year for eight seasons in the $6.000-$9.000 price backet. It was joined in 1931 by an equally impressive ohv 6-litre V12 Cadillac for sale. Improvements over the next few years included power brakes (1931), ride control (1932), no-draught ventilation (1933), Dubonnet type independent front suspension (1934) and ‘turret-top’ all-steel bodies (for sale in 1935). 1938 Cadillac models had column change as standard, a year ahead of other GM products, while the V12 and V16 were dropped in favour of a side-valve short-stroke Cadillac 16-cylinder model which was made until 1940. Another new model for Cadillac in 1938, the 8-cylinder Cadillac Sixty Special, anticipated GM’s 1940 styling with its absence of running boards and 4-light sedan bodywork. 5.7-litre side-valve V8s in three wheelbase lengths made up the 1941 Cadillac range, on which Hydramatic transmission was optional for the first time.
The post-war era was to see Cadillac outstrip all its competitors in the top-price class and become an international symbol of wealth. Sales climbed from 66.000 cars in 1941 to 103.857 Cadillac cars in 1950, and to a new record of 165.959 Cadillac cars in 1964. Tail fins made their first appearance on Cadillac’s 1948 fastback coupé, and in 1949 Cadillac, along with Oldsmobile, adopted overhead valves and oversquare cylinder dimensions, their new 5.4-litre engine developing 160bhp. Cadillacs were raced at Le Mans in 1950 by Briggs Cunningham and the Cadillac engine was also used in export editions of Britain’s J2. Allard. Power output increased steadily: 190bhp in 1952 (by which time manual transmission was no longer offered), 210bhp in 1953 (when a 12-volt electric system was standardized), and 230bhp in 1954, the year when panoramic wrap-around windscreens and power-assisted steering became standard on the Cadillac for sale.
The expensive Cadillac Eldorado Brougham of 1957 (it cost over $13.000) was the first car to have air suspension (dropped after a few seasons) as standard equipment, while Cadillac, along with Lincoln, started the fashion for four headlamps, that later became universal in the USA. 1966 Cadillac cars featured GM’s perimeter-type chassis frame, a 340bhp 7-litre engine, variable-rate power steering, full air conditioning, electric door locks and seat controls, a time switch for the headlamps and a six-position steering wheel. Prices started at $4.650. In 1967 Cadillac set a new sales record of 213.161 cars, bettered in 1969 with 266.798/ They introduced a fwd car on Oldsmobile Toronado lines, the Fleetwood Cadillac Eldorado with torsion-bar ifs, self-levelling suspension, and front disc brakes, these last being applied to the more expensive Cadillac Fleetwoods with conventional drive, and to all the 1969 Cadillac range. Capacity of the Cadillac V8 engine was increased – to 7.735cc in 1968 and to 8.2 litres in 1970, but otherwise there were no major changes. In 1973 Cadillac were one of the few firms offering a nine-seater limousine: the Cadillac 75 with a wheelbase of 12ft 7½in and an overall length of 20ft 8in.
Source: Georgano, encyclopedia of motorcar; MCS
The information is written with the greatest of care. However, if you have any suggested amendments please contact us at office@prewarcar.com


