The global magazine and marketplace for classic car enthusiasts, by enthusiasts.
The global magazine and marketplace for classic car enthusiasts, by enthusiasts.








The BMW firm developed from the Bayerische Flugzeug-Werke, Munich founded in 1916 for the production of aero engines. In 1922 the name was changed to Bayerische Motoren-Werke, and production of engines for boats, lorries and motor cycles began. In 1923 the first BMW motor cycle appeared. In 1928 the Eisenach Dixi works were acquired and car production began with the BMW-Dixi, an Austin Seven built under license. BMW car production was carried on in Eisenach, while production of BMW motorcycles remained in Munich. The BMW-Dixi was succeeded in 1932 by the 800cc BMW 3/20ps model with tubular backbone chassis and independent suspension.
In 1933 came the first 6-cylinder model, the BMW 303 for sale). The range of sixes continued with the ‘BMW 315’(1.490cc, 34 and 40bhp) and ‘BMW 319’ (1.911cc, 45 and 55bhp). The triple-carburettor sports versions of these BMW cars laid the foundation for the famous BMW sports cars, noted for their speed and appearance. The engine of the ‘BMW 326’ (1971cc, 50bhp) became the basis for the ‘BMW 327’ and ‘BMW 328’. The BMW 327 used the 55bhp engine, while the most successful BMW 328 developed 80bhp. Two of this model’s most remarkable successes amongst many in races, rallies and trials were a class win at Le Mans and the winning of the 1940 abbreviated Mille Miglia. The ‘BMW 327/328’ used an 80bhp engine in the ‘BMW 327’ longer wheelbase chassis and was also very successful in competitions. The last pre-World War 2 model was the ‘BMW 335’ with a 3.485cc 90bhp engine. It was intended for the British market and only a few hundred BMW 335’s were built. From 1935 to 1939 BMW’s were imported into the United Kingdom and marketed under the name of Frazer Nash-BMW.
The Eisenach factory was lost through nationalization in 1945. Production of BMW motorcycles was taken up again in the Munich factory and facilities for BMW car production were prepared. The first Munich-built BMW car appeared in 1952, the ‘BMW 501’ with a 6-cylinder 1.971cc engine, based on the last pre-war designs. This started the range of 6- and 8-cylinder prestige BMW cars. The last of this range was the ‘BMW 3200’ CS 2-door coupé with 3.2-litre 160bhp engine for sale. In 1955 BMW started production of the Isetta bubble car under licence, and this was followed in 1957 by the BMW ‘600’ 4-seater based on it. In 1960 the ‘BMW 700’ appeared with a 697cc air-cooled opposed twin-cylinder engine mounted in the rear. In 1962 BMW began to produce medium sized cars again, bringing out the 4-cylinder ‘BMW 1500’ (80bhp), which was developed into the ‘BMW 1800’(90bhp). The ‘BMW 1800TI’ and the ‘BMW 1800 TI/SA’ were tuned versions developing 110 and 130bhp respectively. In 1965 the ‘BMW 2000 C’ (100bhp) and the ‘BMW 2000 TI’ (120bhp) coupés appeared. In 1966 the ‘BMW 1600’ (83bhp), the ‘BMW 2000’ (100bhp) and the ‘BMW 2000 TI’ (120bhp) with 4-cylinder in-line engines of 1573cc and 1990cc capacity were added to the range. In 1967 the Frazer Nash-BMW name was revived for a special luxury model of the ‘BMW 2000TI’, selling in England for £1830. New for 1968 were the BMW 2002 for sale, combining the 135bhp 2-litre engine with the BMW 1600 chassis, and the BMW 1600GT, which used the body of the former Glas 1700, a result of the BMW-Glas merger of 1967. In 1969 the BMW company produced their first six since 1958, the BMW 2500. Mechanically this derived from the existing fours, but was powered by a 170bhp 2494cc 7-bearing engine. A bigger 2.8-litre version was also available By 1971 BMW were offering a 2985cc version with either twin carburetors or Bosch fuel injection; in the latter form it gave 200bhp. Also new in 1971 was a semi-estate car, the Touring, available in 1600, 1800, or 2000 guise. BMW ran a Formula 2 team in 1969, using special 1.6-litre engines in British Lola chassis, but though there were several victories in 1970, the BMW company retired from his branch of the sport after two seasons. The 1973 range embraced the 1600, 1800, 2000, and the sixes, as well as a new ohc BMW 520 for sale with 1990c 4-cylinder engine, wishbone and trailing-link front suspension, and saloon bodywork in the 2500 idiom. Options included 115bhp twin-carburettor or 130bhp fuel-injection models, and a choice of 4- and 5-speed manual and automatic transmissions. A 200bhp derivative of this unit powered a prototype mid-engined coupé, the turbo, with all-disc brakes.
Source: Georgano, encyclopedia of motorcar; HON
The information is written with the greatest of care. However, if you have any suggested amendments please contact us at office@prewarcar.com
The ‘Standard of the World’ started humbly as a single-cylinder car selling for $750. Henry M. Leland, its creator, had been associated with Henry Ford and has also built engines for Oldsmobile. The Model-A Cadillac was markedly similar to the early Fords in having a horizontal underfloor engine, 2-speed planetary transmission and central chain drive via a spur-type differential, but Cadillac’s 1½-litre inlet over exhaust power unit had one cylinder where Ford used two. There was no bonnet on the early Cadillac models. This very successful design remained in production until 1908, later improvements including rack-and-pinion steering, transverse front suspension and a dummy bonnet. The Cadillac marque was introduced to Britain by F.S. Bennett, who in 1908 conducted a ‘standardization test’ at Brooklands. Three single-cylinder Cadillac cars were dismantled and the parts mixed up – they were then reassembled and the vehicles run on the track. The R.A.C. awarded Cadillac the Dewar Trophy for this achievement.
A 30hp 4-cylinder Cadillac car with separate cylinders and copper jackets was announced for 1906 and 75.000 of this type Cadillac were sold before it was discontinued in 1914. The original planetary transmission gave way first to a conventional 3-speed box, and finally in 1914 to a 3-speed box with 2-speed back axle. Cadillac was one of the firms organized into the General Motors group in 1909 by W.C. Durant, and in 1910, when a 4-cylinder Cadillac tourer could be bought for $1600, the company was claiming that tolerance on 112 parts of the car were accurate to one-thousandth of an inch. 1912 saw a most important Cadillac innovation: the standardization of the Delco system of electric lighting and starting on the Cadillac, now of 5½-litres capacity and capable of 60mph. The first left-hand drive Cadillac of 1915 was also the first of the company’s V8s, to become as much a hallmark of the breed as were Buick’s overhead valves. Inspired by the De Dion Bouton of 1910 it had 5.1-litre engine and sold for $2700. 13.000 V8 Cadillac cars were sold in the first year of production and the model was widely used by the U.S. Army in World War 1. Cylinder heads were detachable from 1917 on, and 1924 Cadillac versions had Duco cellulose finish and front wheel brakes.
In 1927, when 47.000 Cadillac cars were sold, a less expensive companion make, La Salle appeared, and the cars were restyled in 1928. The synchromesh gearbox made its world debut with the 1929 Cadillac models, which also featured chromium plating and safety glass, with a price range from $3.295 to $5.995. 1930 saw the advent of the ohv Cadillac V16 of 7.4-litres, which gave 185bhp and had a wheelbase of 12ft 4in. This sold at an average rate of 500 Cadillac cars a year for eight seasons in the $6.000-$9.000 price backet. It was joined in 1931 by an equally impressive ohv 6-litre V12 Cadillac for sale. Improvements over the next few years included power brakes (1931), ride control (1932), no-draught ventilation (1933), Dubonnet type independent front suspension (1934) and ‘turret-top’ all-steel bodies (for sale in 1935). 1938 Cadillac models had column change as standard, a year ahead of other GM products, while the V12 and V16 were dropped in favour of a side-valve short-stroke Cadillac 16-cylinder model which was made until 1940. Another new model for Cadillac in 1938, the 8-cylinder Cadillac Sixty Special, anticipated GM’s 1940 styling with its absence of running boards and 4-light sedan bodywork. 5.7-litre side-valve V8s in three wheelbase lengths made up the 1941 Cadillac range, on which Hydramatic transmission was optional for the first time.
The post-war era was to see Cadillac outstrip all its competitors in the top-price class and become an international symbol of wealth. Sales climbed from 66.000 cars in 1941 to 103.857 Cadillac cars in 1950, and to a new record of 165.959 Cadillac cars in 1964. Tail fins made their first appearance on Cadillac’s 1948 fastback coupé, and in 1949 Cadillac, along with Oldsmobile, adopted overhead valves and oversquare cylinder dimensions, their new 5.4-litre engine developing 160bhp. Cadillacs were raced at Le Mans in 1950 by Briggs Cunningham and the Cadillac engine was also used in export editions of Britain’s J2. Allard. Power output increased steadily: 190bhp in 1952 (by which time manual transmission was no longer offered), 210bhp in 1953 (when a 12-volt electric system was standardized), and 230bhp in 1954, the year when panoramic wrap-around windscreens and power-assisted steering became standard on the Cadillac for sale.
The expensive Cadillac Eldorado Brougham of 1957 (it cost over $13.000) was the first car to have air suspension (dropped after a few seasons) as standard equipment, while Cadillac, along with Lincoln, started the fashion for four headlamps, that later became universal in the USA. 1966 Cadillac cars featured GM’s perimeter-type chassis frame, a 340bhp 7-litre engine, variable-rate power steering, full air conditioning, electric door locks and seat controls, a time switch for the headlamps and a six-position steering wheel. Prices started at $4.650. In 1967 Cadillac set a new sales record of 213.161 cars, bettered in 1969 with 266.798/ They introduced a fwd car on Oldsmobile Toronado lines, the Fleetwood Cadillac Eldorado with torsion-bar ifs, self-levelling suspension, and front disc brakes, these last being applied to the more expensive Cadillac Fleetwoods with conventional drive, and to all the 1969 Cadillac range. Capacity of the Cadillac V8 engine was increased – to 7.735cc in 1968 and to 8.2 litres in 1970, but otherwise there were no major changes. In 1973 Cadillac were one of the few firms offering a nine-seater limousine: the Cadillac 75 with a wheelbase of 12ft 7½in and an overall length of 20ft 8in.
Source: Georgano, encyclopedia of motorcar; MCS
The information is written with the greatest of care. However, if you have any suggested amendments please contact us at office@prewarcar.com

