The global magazine and marketplace for classic car enthusiasts, by enthusiasts.
The global magazine and marketplace for classic car enthusiasts, by enthusiasts.








Cesare Isotta and Vincenzo Fraschini went into partnership in 1899, importing French cars (Mors, Renault) and proprietary engines (Aster); when their company was floated a year later the first Isotta Fraschini cars to bear their names were thinly disguised Renaults with shaft drive and 5hp single-cylinder Aster power units. A 12hp twin Isotta Fraschini car appeared in 1902, but the first wholly Italian designed Isotta Fraschini cars were not seen until 1903. These new Isotta Fraschini cars followed the fashionable Mercédès idiom with pair-cast 4-cylinder engines, side valves in a T-head, low tension magneto ignition, 4-speed gearboxes and side-chain drive. Initially three Isotta Fraschini carmodels were listed – a 4.180cc Isotta Fraschini 12, a 5.426cc Isotta Fraschini 16 and a 7.433cc Isotta Fraschini 24 – and there were few major changes until 1908, though foot accelerators and high tension ignition came in 1906 on Isotta Fraschini cars, and compressed-air starters were offered briefly in 1907, when the largest Isotta Fraschini carcar in the catalogue was the 11.3-litre Isotta Fraschini Tipo C.
Like FIAT and Itala, theIsotta Fraschini carfirm was quick to recognize the prestige value of racing: in 1905 they built an unsuccessful 17.2-litre machine with gear-driven ohc; in 1907 Minoia won the Coppa Florio with a Isotta Fraschini car; and in 1908 Trucco won the Targa Florio. The last year brought numerous successes in the USA, where 40 Isotta Fraschini cars were sold. By 1906 Isotta Fraschini were Italy’s second-ranking manufacturers, after FIAT, but they were hard hit by the Agadir Crisis, and in 1907 there was a successful takeover bid by Lorraine-Dietrich of France, whose intention it was to integrate the Milan Isotta Fraschini car-factory into their organization. By 1909, however, Isotta Fraschini were independent again and had sold a manufacturing licence to Praga in Prague.
A novelty in 1908 was a 1.327cc racing voiturette with ohc 4-cylinder monobloc engine said to run up to 3.500rpm; this Isotta Fraschini car went into limited production as the FENC type. More important, a successful uncoupled 4-wheel braking system was evolved by Oreste Fraschini and Giustino Cattaneo (who had joined theIsotta Fraschini car firm in 1905 and was to be responsible for all Isotta Fraschini cars up to 1935). This was available on production Isotta Fraschini cars by 1911, and three years later was standardized on the larger Isotta Fraschini cars. The 1909 range included a modern sv monobloc four, the ENC, available in 2.1-litre and 2.2-litre forms, though the old combination of T-head engine and chain drive persisted until 1913. The smaller Isotta Fraschini cars of 1914 closely paralleled the offerings of FIAT and Itala, coming in 2.3-litre, 3-litre and 4.4-litre sizes, with monobloc engines, 4-speed gearboxes, and optional electrics. However, for the enthusiast the Isotta Fraschini car company offered some 16-valve ohc sports cars with 4-wheel brakes and chain drive – the 6.2-litre Isotta Fraschini TM and the 10.6-litre Isotta Fraschini KM. The latter boasted dual magneto ignition, could be had with pear-shaped or V-radiator, and this Isotta Fraschini car was capable of 85-90mph on 140bhp. A Isotta Fraschini car with 130bhp 7.2-litre engine was raced unsuccessfully at Indianapolis in 1913, and there was also a shaft-driven variant of the TM, designated the Isotta Fraschini TC.
After World War 1 Cattaneo switched to a one-model Isotta Fraschini car programme with the Isotta Fraschini Tipo 8, a 5.880cc 9-bearing pushrod ohv straight-8 with alloy block, magneto ignition, 3-speed unit gearbox, central ball change, multi-plate clutch, semi-elliptic springing, and coupled 4-wheel brakes. Output was 80bhp at a low 2.200rpm, and the Isotta Fraschini car was conceived from the start as a chauffeur-driven carriage – hence the ponderous handling that attracted unfavourable comparisons with the contemporary 32CV Hispano-Suiza. Most straight-8s were exported: of 1.370 delivered Isotta Fraschini cars between 1919 and 1935 about 450 went to the United States and there were agencies in eight foreign capitals. In 1925 the Isotta Fraschini Tipo 8 gave way to the 7.4-litre Isotta Fraschini 8A with servo brakes, higher gear ratios, and an output of 110 – 120bhp; the 135 bhp Isotta Fraschini 8ASS sports version was said to do 104mph. By 1929 a Isotta Fraschini carlimousine cost £2.900 in London or $22.750 in New York. Two years later came the last of Isotta Fraschini car with a straight-8, the Isotta Fraschini 8B. This had a redesigned engine capable of 3.000rpm, coil ignition, and a stiffer and deeper frame; from 1932 Isotta Fraschini car was available with a 4-speed preselective gearbox, a conversion initiated by Antione Lago, then the Isotta Fraschini company London agent. In 1934 a 4-speed synchromesh box was offered, but by now sales were down to a trickle (only 25-30 8Bs were made all told, as against 950 8As) and the Isotta Fraschini car company, after unsuccessful negotiations for a merger with Henry Ford, elected to concentrate on aero engines. In 1936 Isotta Fraschini joined the Caproni organization, and their only roadgoing products were diesel trucks made under MAN-licence.
There was a final comeback of Isotta Fraschini cars in 1947 with the Rapi-designed 8C Monterosa – Isotta Fraschini never marketed a six. This Isotta Fraschini car had a 90 degrees ohc V8 engine mounted at the rear of a platform chassis, with independent front suspension by rubber in compression and swing-axle rear suspension. The 5-speed all-synchromesh gearbox incorporated an overdrive top, brakes were hydraulic, and a curious feature was an ignition warning light that went out in the event of trouble. Various cylinder capacities were tried: the 1947 Paris Salon Isotta Fraschini car had a 3.4-litre unit, but production models were to have had 2.544cc engines. Prototype Isotta Fraschini cars wore aerodynamic convertible and closed coachwork by Touring of Milan, but less than 20 Isotta Fraschini 8Cs had been built when the factory was shut down by order of the Italian government. The name Isotta Fraschini was acquired by the Breda armaments firm, who attempted a revival of the diesel commercial vehicle range as late as 1958
Source: Georgano, encyclopedia of motorcar; MCS
The information is written with the greatest of care. However, if you have any suggested amendments please contact us at office@prewarcar.com
The ‘Standard of the World’ started humbly as a single-cylinder car selling for $750. Henry M. Leland, its creator, had been associated with Henry Ford and has also built engines for Oldsmobile. The Model-A Cadillac was markedly similar to the early Fords in having a horizontal underfloor engine, 2-speed planetary transmission and central chain drive via a spur-type differential, but Cadillac’s 1½-litre inlet over exhaust power unit had one cylinder where Ford used two. There was no bonnet on the early Cadillac models. This very successful design remained in production until 1908, later improvements including rack-and-pinion steering, transverse front suspension and a dummy bonnet. The Cadillac marque was introduced to Britain by F.S. Bennett, who in 1908 conducted a ‘standardization test’ at Brooklands. Three single-cylinder Cadillac cars were dismantled and the parts mixed up – they were then reassembled and the vehicles run on the track. The R.A.C. awarded Cadillac the Dewar Trophy for this achievement.
A 30hp 4-cylinder Cadillac car with separate cylinders and copper jackets was announced for 1906 and 75.000 of this type Cadillac were sold before it was discontinued in 1914. The original planetary transmission gave way first to a conventional 3-speed box, and finally in 1914 to a 3-speed box with 2-speed back axle. Cadillac was one of the firms organized into the General Motors group in 1909 by W.C. Durant, and in 1910, when a 4-cylinder Cadillac tourer could be bought for $1600, the company was claiming that tolerance on 112 parts of the car were accurate to one-thousandth of an inch. 1912 saw a most important Cadillac innovation: the standardization of the Delco system of electric lighting and starting on the Cadillac, now of 5½-litres capacity and capable of 60mph. The first left-hand drive Cadillac of 1915 was also the first of the company’s V8s, to become as much a hallmark of the breed as were Buick’s overhead valves. Inspired by the De Dion Bouton of 1910 it had 5.1-litre engine and sold for $2700. 13.000 V8 Cadillac cars were sold in the first year of production and the model was widely used by the U.S. Army in World War 1. Cylinder heads were detachable from 1917 on, and 1924 Cadillac versions had Duco cellulose finish and front wheel brakes.
In 1927, when 47.000 Cadillac cars were sold, a less expensive companion make, La Salle appeared, and the cars were restyled in 1928. The synchromesh gearbox made its world debut with the 1929 Cadillac models, which also featured chromium plating and safety glass, with a price range from $3.295 to $5.995. 1930 saw the advent of the ohv Cadillac V16 of 7.4-litres, which gave 185bhp and had a wheelbase of 12ft 4in. This sold at an average rate of 500 Cadillac cars a year for eight seasons in the $6.000-$9.000 price backet. It was joined in 1931 by an equally impressive ohv 6-litre V12 Cadillac for sale. Improvements over the next few years included power brakes (1931), ride control (1932), no-draught ventilation (1933), Dubonnet type independent front suspension (1934) and ‘turret-top’ all-steel bodies (for sale in 1935). 1938 Cadillac models had column change as standard, a year ahead of other GM products, while the V12 and V16 were dropped in favour of a side-valve short-stroke Cadillac 16-cylinder model which was made until 1940. Another new model for Cadillac in 1938, the 8-cylinder Cadillac Sixty Special, anticipated GM’s 1940 styling with its absence of running boards and 4-light sedan bodywork. 5.7-litre side-valve V8s in three wheelbase lengths made up the 1941 Cadillac range, on which Hydramatic transmission was optional for the first time.
The post-war era was to see Cadillac outstrip all its competitors in the top-price class and become an international symbol of wealth. Sales climbed from 66.000 cars in 1941 to 103.857 Cadillac cars in 1950, and to a new record of 165.959 Cadillac cars in 1964. Tail fins made their first appearance on Cadillac’s 1948 fastback coupé, and in 1949 Cadillac, along with Oldsmobile, adopted overhead valves and oversquare cylinder dimensions, their new 5.4-litre engine developing 160bhp. Cadillacs were raced at Le Mans in 1950 by Briggs Cunningham and the Cadillac engine was also used in export editions of Britain’s J2. Allard. Power output increased steadily: 190bhp in 1952 (by which time manual transmission was no longer offered), 210bhp in 1953 (when a 12-volt electric system was standardized), and 230bhp in 1954, the year when panoramic wrap-around windscreens and power-assisted steering became standard on the Cadillac for sale.
The expensive Cadillac Eldorado Brougham of 1957 (it cost over $13.000) was the first car to have air suspension (dropped after a few seasons) as standard equipment, while Cadillac, along with Lincoln, started the fashion for four headlamps, that later became universal in the USA. 1966 Cadillac cars featured GM’s perimeter-type chassis frame, a 340bhp 7-litre engine, variable-rate power steering, full air conditioning, electric door locks and seat controls, a time switch for the headlamps and a six-position steering wheel. Prices started at $4.650. In 1967 Cadillac set a new sales record of 213.161 cars, bettered in 1969 with 266.798/ They introduced a fwd car on Oldsmobile Toronado lines, the Fleetwood Cadillac Eldorado with torsion-bar ifs, self-levelling suspension, and front disc brakes, these last being applied to the more expensive Cadillac Fleetwoods with conventional drive, and to all the 1969 Cadillac range. Capacity of the Cadillac V8 engine was increased – to 7.735cc in 1968 and to 8.2 litres in 1970, but otherwise there were no major changes. In 1973 Cadillac were one of the few firms offering a nine-seater limousine: the Cadillac 75 with a wheelbase of 12ft 7½in and an overall length of 20ft 8in.
Source: Georgano, encyclopedia of motorcar; MCS
The information is written with the greatest of care. However, if you have any suggested amendments please contact us at office@prewarcar.com

