The global magazine and marketplace for classic car enthusiasts, by enthusiasts.
The global magazine and marketplace for classic car enthusiasts, by enthusiasts.




The first American front-wheel-drive car to win popular approval, the Cord was one of a trio of distinctive cars (the others being the Auburn and the Duesenburg) that made up Erret Lobban Cord’s empire. The first Cord for sale was the Cord Model L-29, powered by a 4.934cc straight 8 engine made by Lycoming, another Cord subsidiary. The Cord L-29 was much lower than most contemporary American cars and was made in open and closed models, as well as being given special coachwork by such firms as Murphy, Hayes, and in England, Freestone & Webb. However, the price of over $3.300 was against the car in the Depression years, and production ended in 1932 after some 4400 Cord cars had been sold.
The Cord name re-emerged later in 1935 with the strikingly modernistic Cord Model 810. Designed by Gordon Buehrig, this car had originally been intended as a small model of Duesenberg. Like the Cord L-29 the new car was front-driven and Lycoming-powered, although by a slightly smaller V8 engine of 4.730cc. The body was of a very advanced design, and featured retractable headlamps and a wrap-around grille. Body styles were the Westchester and Beverly sedans (identical except for upholstery pattern), two-seater Sportsman and four-seater Phaeton convertibles. In 1937 the Cord Model 812 series was introduced, featuring a long-wheelbase Custom berline with chauffeur division, while an optional supercharger boosted power to 195bhp. Prices ranged from $1.995 for the early models to $3.575 for the 1937 Cord Supercharged Custom berline, and this drastically restricted sales. Only 2320 examples of the Cord 810 and Cord 812 were made.
Source: Georgano, encyclopedia of motorcar; KM
The information is written with the greatest of care. However, if you have any suggested amendments please contact us at office@prewarcar.com
Rauch & Lang were an old-established carriage building firm (founded 1853) when they began to make electric Rauch & Lang cars in 1905. These Rauch & Lang cars followed the usual pattern for such electric vehicles, being mainly closed town cars, although a few open phaeton Rauch & Lang cars were also made. The biggest Rauch & Lang cars were heavier vehicles and included a six-seater limousine with separate outside seat for the chauffeur. Some Rauch & Lang cars had 4-doors, a very unusual feature in electric cars. In 1916 the Rauch & Lang cars became part of the Baker, Rauch & Lane group and production declined. From 1919 onwards the Rauch & Lang cars were sometimes listed as Raulangs, and from 1922 this became the official name of the Rauch & Lang cars.
By this time production of Rauch & Lang cars had been transferred to the Stevens-Duryea factory at Chicopee Falls where the number of private cars made was very small. The factory, which was still turning out a few Stevens-Duryeas, also made petrol and electric taxi-cabs under the name Rauch & Lang cars, and bodies for Stanley Steamers.
Source: Georgano, encyclopedia of motorcar; GNG
The information is written with the greatest of care. However, if you have any suggested amendments please contact us at office@prewarcar.com

