The global magazine and marketplace for classic car enthusiasts, by enthusiasts.
The global magazine and marketplace for classic car enthusiasts, by enthusiasts.



One of the best-known electric automobiles built in the United States as well as one of the most long-lived, the Detroit Electric car reached its peak in production and sales between 1912 and 1920. The Detroit-Electric success was largely due to the demand by women for a simple car for urban use. More than 1000 Detroit Electric cars per year were sold up to World War 1, but production tapered off in the 1920s. A few Detroit Electrics with Renault-type bonnets were made under licence by Arrol-Johnston in 1913/ 1914. In 1920, the old-fashioned appearance of the Detroit Electric cars was modified by the introduction of false front which made the Detroit look more like a conventional car. In the early 1930s, production of Detroit Electric cars was cut to individual orders, and bodies for the more conventional-looking cars were obtained from Willys-Overland, complete with the horizontal bonnet louvres. The earlier design of the Detroit Electric, however, with rounded battery covers, fore and aft, was also available. Only a handful of Detroit Electric cars were produced annually after 1935. Some of the last Detroit Electric cars used the Dodge bonnet and grille.
Source: Georgano, encyclopedia of motorcar; KM
The information is written with the greatest of care. However, if you have any suggested amendments please contact us at office@prewarcar.com
Rauch & Lang were an old-established carriage building firm (founded 1853) when they began to make electric Rauch & Lang cars in 1905. These Rauch & Lang cars followed the usual pattern for such electric vehicles, being mainly closed town cars, although a few open phaeton Rauch & Lang cars were also made. The biggest Rauch & Lang cars were heavier vehicles and included a six-seater limousine with separate outside seat for the chauffeur. Some Rauch & Lang cars had 4-doors, a very unusual feature in electric cars. In 1916 the Rauch & Lang cars became part of the Baker, Rauch & Lane group and production declined. From 1919 onwards the Rauch & Lang cars were sometimes listed as Raulangs, and from 1922 this became the official name of the Rauch & Lang cars.
By this time production of Rauch & Lang cars had been transferred to the Stevens-Duryea factory at Chicopee Falls where the number of private cars made was very small. The factory, which was still turning out a few Stevens-Duryeas, also made petrol and electric taxi-cabs under the name Rauch & Lang cars, and bodies for Stanley Steamers.
Source: Georgano, encyclopedia of motorcar; GNG
The information is written with the greatest of care. However, if you have any suggested amendments please contact us at office@prewarcar.com


