The global magazine and marketplace for classic car enthusiasts, by enthusiasts.
The global magazine and marketplace for classic car enthusiasts, by enthusiasts.






Fred Duesenberg began by making bicycles and designed his first Duesenberg car, the Mason, in 1904. He and his brother August made engines with horizontal overhead valves for the 1912 Mason racing cars, and founded Duesenberg Motors in the following year in order to produce marine engines and complete racing cars bearing the Duesenberg name. The most famous of the latter appeared in 1920: a 3-litre Bugatti-inspired Duesenberg straight-8 with single overhead camshaft and three (vertical) valves per cylinder. This Duesenberg won the 1921 French Grand Grand Prix. In the 1920s the Duesenberg racing cars were the great rivals of the Millers at Indianapolis, and victory was assured in 1924 by the adoption of a centrifugal blower on Duesenberg cars. Though a two-stroke 1½-litre 8-cylinder racing engine capable of 7.000rpm was made in 1926, this was not proceeded with. The horizontal-valve Duesenberg engine was taken over in 1920 by the Rochester Motor Manufacturing Co Inc and was used in various sporting and luxury cars.
Meanwhile, at the end of 1920, the first Duesenberg production car made its debut. This Duesenberg Model A was an extremely expensive, if very advanced, luxury car, embodying an 8-cylinder in-line engine – the first to be seen in an American production car – of 4.2 litres, basically similar to the Duesenberg racing unit, but with only two valves per cylinder and developing about 100bhp. There were also hydraulically-operated front wheel brakes – another ‘first’ as far as America was concerned. The Model A was current until 1926. A handful of its little-altered successor, the Duesenberg Model X, was made in 1926-1927, but in the former year E.L. Cord of Auburn acquired control of the Duesenberg company. He stipulated that Fred Duesenberg’s next car should be completely new, and a quite exceptional machine. In fact, the Duesenberg Model J, which made its bow at the end of 1928, was the most remarkable automobile in America: bigger, faster, more elaborate and more expensive than any other, yet also superior to them in refinement and good looks. Its 6.9-litre, 8-cylinder engine, made by Lycoming (a firm which Cord had also bought), had two chain-driven overhead camshafts operating four valves per cylinder; a layout of racing type unique among American cars at the time and said to develop 265bhp at 4250rpm – more than double the output of any rival. Although the complete Duesenberg car weighed more than 4980lb, it was claimed to be capable of 116mph in top gear and 89mph in second. Only Duesenberg Model J chassis were made for which $8500 was asked in 1929. Immensely long and strong and lowbuilt, Duesenberg cars were very popular with all the leading coachbuilders. The Duesenberg company preferred to sell cars complete with bodies designed by them but made by approved builders, such as Murphy, Bohman & Schwarts, Judkins, Derham and Le Baron. In this form, catalogued Duesenberg models cost up to $17.950. The transmission – apart form the double dry-plate clutch – was conventional, as was the suspension by half-elliptic springs and hydraulic shock absorbers. The brakes, of course, were hydraulic, with vacuum servo assistance from late 1929.
In 1932 a supercharged version of the Model J, the Duesenberg SJ, was added. To cope with the 320bhp now alleged to be available, bearings, reciprocating parts and valve springs were strengthened. Usually, the shortest Duesenberg J chassis was used, with the highest axle ratio and stronger front springs. A maximum speed of 129mph was attributed to the Duesenberg SJ, with an acceleration figure of 0-100mph in 17 seconds.
Duesenberg survived the Depression, but died in the collapse of the Cord Corporation in 1937. Attempts to revive the Duesenberg name were made in 1947 and in 1966. The first Duesenberg was unsuccessful, and in 1966 only one Duesenberg car was actually made, powered by a 7-litre V8 Chrysler engine with push-rod overhead valves, developing 431bhp at 5.000rpm. Transmission was automatic, front suspension was independent, and there were disc brakes. Body styling was by Ghia. This Duesenberg venture, too, collapsed.
Source: Georgano, encyclopedia of motorcar; TRN
The information is written with the greatest of care. However, if you have any suggested amendments please contact us at office@prewarcar.com
The Hansa works were founded with the intention of producing small cars. The first was a Hansa 7/9ps car with a single-cylinder 720cc De Dion engine based on the French Alcyon. The Hansa appeared in 1906, and was sold under the name HAG. After a few more models with proprietary engines such as Fafnir the Hansa 6/14ps appeared in 1907 with a 4-cylinder engine of the Hansa company’s own design. A wide range of models was offered during the following years. Among them were the Hansa Types D (10/30PS, 2.612cc) and Hansa E (15/50PS, 3.815cc) of 1911 with overhead valves, a feature which was rare at that time. Hansa cars were produced in considerable numbers and Hansa cars were renowned for their high technical standard and their good workmanship.
In 1913 Hansa took over the Westfalia works at Bielefeld and Hansa cars were built there in 1913 and 1914. The Hansa Type F (2.515cc) took part successfully in the 1914 Austrian Alpine Trial. In 1914 Hansa merged with Lloyd, the firm adopting the name Hansa-Lloyd. The production of Hansa cars was carried on until World War 1. After the war Hansa concentrated on light and medium-sized cars which were marketed as Hansa. The Lloyd factory specialized in the heavier cars and commercials, which were sold as Hansa-Lloyds. Post-war models were the Hansa P 8/36PS with a 4-cylinder 2.063cc engine, also available in a short-wheelbase sports version, and two cars, a 13/60PS (6-cylinder, 3.262cc) and a 16/70PS (8-cylinder, 3.996cc) which were equipped with American Continental engines.
In 1929 Hansa was taken over by Borgward-Goliath. Production in the Varel works ceased and Hansa private cars were subsequently built only in Bremen. The Hansa Konsul, Hansa Senator, Hansa Matador and Hansa Imperator were family and prestige cars with 4-, 6-, and 8-cylinder engines with capacities up to 5.8-litres and outputs to 100bhp. The 3.2-litre Hansa Senator was an unusually large four for the period, and the Hansa Matador had a 2.6-litre Continental engine, and the combination of independent rear suspension and a backbone frame. In 1933 the small Hansa 400 was introduced. It had a 2-cylinder 2-stroke rear engine of 400cc and was later available with a 500cc engine. A new model, the Hansa 1100, with all independent suspension appeared in 1934. It was in production until 1939 and became very popular. Other models were the 6-cylinder ‘Hansa 1700’ (also available in a twin-carburettor sports version), the ‘Hansa 2000’ and the ‘Hansa 3500’ Privat.
After 1938 Hansa cars were marketed as Borgwards. In 1958 the Hansa name was revived for the flat-four Goliath; it had previously been used as a type name for some Borgwards.
Source: Georgano, encyclopedia of motorcar; HON
The information is written with the greatest of care. However, if you have any suggested amendments please contact us at office@prewarcar.com


