The global magazine and marketplace for classic car enthusiasts, by enthusiasts.
The global magazine and marketplace for classic car enthusiasts, by enthusiasts.








The American Benjamin Berkeley Hotchkiss set up his ordnance Horchkiss car factory at St. Denis in 1867; the Hotchkiss cars were the result of an arm slump. The work of Terrasse, these first Hotchkiss cars were T-headed fours with pair-cast cylinders, 5-ball-bearing crankshafts, low-tension magneto ignition, round honeycomb radiators, 4-speed gearboxes, and the famous Hotchkiss drive by live axle and open propeller shaft. Initially cylinder capacities of Hotchkiss cars were 4.6-litres and 7.4-litres, but the Hotchkiss car company’s first racers of 1904 were 17.8-litre monsters notable for their aiv and chain drive. Though their 1905 successors conformed once more to touring-car practice, they were even bigger Hotchkiss cars, with 18.815cc and an alleged 130bhp. Hotchkiss’s last racing season was 1906 with their Grand Prix Hotchkiss cars had 16.3-litre L-head units and quick-detachable wire wheels. Though these Hotchkiss cars were unsuccessful, Hotchkiss sold 167 cars that year, with gate change standardized, and a choice of five Hotchkiss car models: a short-lived 4.2-litre petrol brougham, fours of 18, 30 and 42hp, and their first six. The last-mentioned Hotckiss car was the large V-type that evolved into a 9½-litre machine and was still being offered in 1912 as a Hotckiss car. Chassis price was £1.000 and it was capable of 60mph.
The slump following the Agadir crisis led to the abandonment of ball-bearing crankshafts on Hotchkiss cars; at the same time there was a move towards smaller Hotchkiss cars with the 3.1-litre T-type, with side valves in an L-head and high-tension magneto ignition. Two years later came something even smaller and more modern, the 12/16hp Hotchkiss X-type with 2-bearing crankshaft and three forward speeds at £390. Soon monobloc engines spread up the range to the 3.7-litre Hotckiss AB of 1912. From 1911 there were some smaller L-head sixes, the 4.678cc Hotchkiss X6 and the 5½-litre Hotchkiss AC6; 1912 sales were a record 598 Hotchkiss cars. Electric lighting was available from 1913, and all the 1914 Hotchkiss car models – the 2.6-litre Hotchkiss AG, the 4-litre Hotchkiss AF, the 5.7-litre Hotchkiss AC, and the 6-cylinder Hotchkiss AC6 – had semi-elliptic suspension all round.
The wartime demand for Hotchkiss machine guns led to the establishment of a branch factory under the Englishman Harry Ainsworth, this subsequently making engines for W.R. Morris until it was absorbed by him in 1923. At home Hotchkiss sold off their surplus works capacity at Lyons and concentrated on a revised Hotchkiss car again, the AF with full electrics and a horseshoe-shaped radiator in place of the traditional round one. Its successor, the Hotchkiss AH of 1921, had cantilever rear springs and torque tube drive, and a year later came the Hotchkiss AL with ohv, and a detachable head; front-wheel brakes were added for 1923. There was also a prototype luxury Hotchkiss car at the 1921 Paris Salon; this Hotchkiss AK had a 6.6-litre 6-cylinder ohc engine, dual ignition, 4-speed unit gearbox, servo-assisted 4-wheel brakes, and a cruciform-braced frame, but it never went into production.
The return of Ainsworth to St. Denis in 1923, coincided with the construction of a new Hotchkiss car factory and a more realistic type of car, the 2.4-litre 12CV Hotchkiss AM, with 4-cylinder sv engine, 4-speed unit box, four-wheel brakes, wire hwwls, and Hotchkiss drive once more. Between 1924 and 1928 it was the Hotchkiss car company’s staple product, selling at the rate of over a thousand a year and offering a 70mph performance at a modest outlay. It persisted until 1932, acquiring ohv in 1926 and rod-operated brakes in 1928, and its engine was used in some Morris-Léon Bollées. Even better was the Hotchkiss AM80 of 1929, largely the work of Bertarione. This was a short-stroke (80x100mm), 7-bearing ohv 3-litre six that owed a good deal to the AM2, though early cars featured torque tube drive; it was to be the basis from which all subsequent Hotchkisses were evolved. A silent 3rd gearbox featured on 1931 Hotchkiss car models, Hotchkiss drive reappeared in 1932, and 1933 improvements included Bendix brakes, cruciform-braked frames, down-draught carburetors and mechanical fuel pumps. Hotchkiss AM80 engines were also fitted to Sizaire Frères and Tracta cars.
The 1933 Hotchkiss car range was expanded both up and down, with new Hotchkiss 12CV (2-litre) and 13CV (1.3-litre) fours for the economy market, and an 85mph fast tourer, the 100bhp 3½-litre Hotckiss AM80S, for the enthusiast. This Hotchkiss car was based on the car with which Vasselle won the 1932 Monte Carlo Rally. Hotchkiss cars repeated this success in 1933 and 1934: in the latter year the Hotchkiss cars collected two Glazier Cups in the Alpine Trial. There were further wins in the Monte Carlo in 1938 and 1939; on the latter occasion a Grand Sport Hotchkiss car tied with a 3½-litre Delahaye. Radiators were moved forward on the 1934 Hotchkiss cars, and the 3-litre gave way to a 2.650cc 15CV that was not a success and lasted only one season. The 1935 Hotchkiss cars had synchromesh and integral boots, and at the top of the 3½-litre 20CV range was the twin-carburettor Hotckiss Paris-Nice, a 115bhp sports car capable of 95mph. Hydraulic brakes appeared in 1936 on Hotchkiss cars (to be quietly dropped halfway through 1937). The sports 20CV engine was now giving 125-130bhp and when allied to a short 9ft 2in wheelbase resulted in the Hotchkiss Grand Sport, a true 100mph saloon.
By 1938 the horseshoe radiator on the Hotchkiss car was now a wire-mesh grille, but despite the exigencies of French rearmament programmes the Hotchkiss car company managed to deliver 2.751 Hotchkiss cars that year, made up of the two fours, the reinstated 3-litre Hotchkiss 680, and the 3½-litre Hotchkiss 686 in various forms, including seven-seater limousines with the single-carburettor 100bhp engine. Hotchkiss also came to the rescue of the ailing Amilcar concern, helping to make the Grégoire-inspired 1.185cc Compound, a small fwd saloon with unitary construction in Alpax; this was sold in England, though not in France, as a Hotchkiss car. A 1.3-litre ohv development, the Hotchkiss B67, was ready for production when France collapsed in the summer of 1940.
Hotchkiss never really recovered from World War 2, though Peugeot were briefly interested in the Hotchkiss car company and Hotchkiss 686 cars won the first two post-war Monte Carlo Rallies of 1949 and 1950. The Hotchkiss 12CV and Hotchkiss 20CV were back in production, unchanged, by 1946, but the first year’s output was a miserable 117 Hotchkiss cars. Hydraulic brakes and independent front suspension did not appear until 1949 on Hotchkiss cars (though Hotchkiss had experimented with the latter in 1937), and a Cotal electric gearbox became a factory option. The 1951 Hotchkiss car models were ‘facelifted’ with V-screens, recessed headlamps and auxiliary coil rear suspension, but in the meantime there had been an expensive mistake: the acquisition by Hotchkiss of the rights to the Grégoire flat-4. This ingenious device was a development of the 1938 Amilcar theme featuring all-round independent suspension and a 4-speed overdrive gearbox, as well as front wheel drive. Production Hotchkiss car models with 2.2-litre engines were said to achieve 95mph and 30mpg, but the teething troubles were endless, and Hotchkiss only managed to make 250 Hotchkiss cars in the end. There was a shutdown in 1952 and the price of recovery was a merger with Delahaye that led inevitably to concentration on commercial vehicles. The old Hotchkiss cars 13CV and 20CV received another facelift in time for the 1954 Paris Salon, but his was their swansong, though medium-powered trucks continued to be made until 1970, along with a version of the American Jeep built under licence.
Hotchkiss of Coventry, a British offshoot of the famous French Hotchkiss car firm, was set up during World War 1 to make engines in Britain. Their units became best known as the motive power for Morris and BSA light cars, but before they were taken over by William Morris, Hotchkiss experimented with a small car of their own. The Hotchkiss car consisted of their 1.080cc air-cooled V-twin ohv engine installed with a 3-speed gearbox in a pre-war Morris Oxford chassis. It never went into production.
Source: Georgano, encyclopedia of motorcar; MCS, TRN
The information is written with the greatest of care. However, if you have any suggested amendments please contact us at office@prewarcar.com
The Invicta car from Finchley was seen as a bicycle, a motor cycle and as a voiturette. Rather surprisingly for such a small concern, the latter two were powered by engines of the firm’s own manufacture.
Carlo Mantovani had been technical director of Bender and Martiny (Perfecta) and he built a few light cars named Invicta cars with side-chain drive and 3-speed gearboxes in their old factory. The 6/8hp Invicta car was a twin and the 10/12hp a four with pair-cast cylinders; neither lasted long
The short-lived Invicta car from Leamington was one of the cyclecar breed. The Invicta car was powered by a watercooled V-twin JAP engine of 8hp, driving through a 3-speed gearbox and shaft primary drive to chain final drive.
In 1925 Noel Macklin and Oliver Lyle, both of them with experience of motor design and Macklin a former manufacturer as well (Eric Campbell, Silver Hawk) introduced a type of car, the Invicta car, that was quite new to the British market. The idea behind the Invicta car was to combine in an assembled car the American concept of flexibility and performance with British quality and road-holding, thus getting the best of both worlds. The engine in the Invicta car, the Meadows 2½-litre, 6-cylinder engine had push-rod overhead valves. Its low-speed torque permitted the Invicta car to accelerate from a walking pace to 60mph in top gear, but a four-speed gearbox was provided, all the same, and the Invicta car make’s sustained high-speed cruising capabilities became legendary after winning the Dewar Trophy for long-distance reliability runs in 1927 and 1929. In outward appearance the first Invicta car was very staid, and it was marred by the fact that the brakes on the Invicta car were poor. The rivets down the bonnet were copied from the Rolls-Royce. During 1926, an engine with a bigger bore, providing 3 litres, was offered on Invicta cars alongside the original unit, and by 1927 was the only one sold. In that year real speed arrived for the fist time in the shape of the 4½-litre Invicta car. This Invicta car had a larger bore still, with an 85mph maximum and really shattering acceleration in spite of pulling a 3.9:1 axle ratio. By late 1929, the 3-litre Invicta car had been dropped. The 1931 4½-litre came in two types: the Invicta 4½-litre high-chassis, and the Invicta 4½-litre ‘100-mph’ low-chassis model. The latter Invicta car was lowered by underslinging the rear springs. This invicta car was capable of 95mph.
Unfortunately the splendid Invicta car was always expensive, and its roadholding reputation was damaged among sportsmen, who were by now its most important customers, by a highly-publicized accident to S.C.H. Davis at Brooklands in 1931. In spite of a win in the Monte Carlo Rally of an Invicta car, a Coupe des Glaciers in the Alpine Trial that year and almost equal success in the same events in 1932, only about 1.000 Invicta cars were made before production ceased in 1935. Invicta tried to stave off the end by introducing a small Invicta car for a more popular market in 1932. This Invicta 12/45 was not a success because the single overhead-camshaft 6-cylinder engine, amade by Blackburne, was of only 1½-litres’ capacity. However efficient this Invicta car was, it could not cope with its heavy chassis without the aid of an axle ratio of 6:1. This gave the famed flexibility, but not the performance you would expect on an Invicta car. The 12/45 was supplemented in 1933 by the supercharged Invicta 12/90, but only a handful were made. Both Invicta cars were seen with Wilson self-changing gearbox, the weight of which cannot have helped. After Invicta ended, Macklin went on to make the Railton, a machine with the traditional Invicta car performance characteristics allied to low price. For 1938, three new Invicta cars, in 2½-, 3- and 4-litre form, were planned. All these Invicta cars were to have 6-cylinder, overhead-valve engines, all-synchromesh gearboxes, and independent front suspension by transverse spring. Nothing was seen of these Invicta cars, the chassis of which seem to have been disguised Darracqs and the bodies similar to those of the 3-litre D670 Delage.
The old Invicta name was revived briefly after World War 2, when it was attached to a luxury car called the Invicta Black Prince, powered by a 6-cylinder Meadows engine of three litres, with two overhead camshafts and two plugs per cylinder. This unit produced 120bhp at 5.000rpm. Unlike earlier Invicta cars, the car’s other characteristics were highly unconventional. There was no gearbox in the Invicta car; instead, a Brockhouse hydrokinetic turbo transmitter that provided automatic transmission on any ratio between 15:1 and 4,27:1. Suspension was independent all round, by torsion bars. But the new Invicta car was another horribly expensive car, although plans envisaged an output of 250 a year, it met the same fate as its predecessors after only a score or so had been made. AFN Ltd, manufacturers of the Frazer Nash, acquired the assets of the dead firm.
Source: Georgano, encyclopedia of motorcar; TRN
The information is written with the greatest of care. However, if you have any suggested amendments please contact us at office@prewarcar.com


