The global magazine and marketplace for classic car enthusiasts, by enthusiasts.
The global magazine and marketplace for classic car enthusiasts, by enthusiasts.



The American Benjamin Berkeley Hotchkiss set up his ordnance Horchkiss car factory at St. Denis in 1867; the Hotchkiss cars were the result of an arm slump. The work of Terrasse, these first Hotchkiss cars were T-headed fours with pair-cast cylinders, 5-ball-bearing crankshafts, low-tension magneto ignition, round honeycomb radiators, 4-speed gearboxes, and the famous Hotchkiss drive by live axle and open propeller shaft. Initially cylinder capacities of Hotchkiss cars were 4.6-litres and 7.4-litres, but the Hotchkiss car company’s first racers of 1904 were 17.8-litre monsters notable for their aiv and chain drive. Though their 1905 successors conformed once more to touring-car practice, they were even bigger Hotchkiss cars, with 18.815cc and an alleged 130bhp. Hotchkiss’s last racing season was 1906 with their Grand Prix Hotchkiss cars had 16.3-litre L-head units and quick-detachable wire wheels. Though these Hotchkiss cars were unsuccessful, Hotchkiss sold 167 cars that year, with gate change standardized, and a choice of five Hotchkiss car models: a short-lived 4.2-litre petrol brougham, fours of 18, 30 and 42hp, and their first six. The last-mentioned Hotckiss car was the large V-type that evolved into a 9½-litre machine and was still being offered in 1912 as a Hotckiss car. Chassis price was £1.000 and it was capable of 60mph.
The slump following the Agadir crisis led to the abandonment of ball-bearing crankshafts on Hotchkiss cars; at the same time there was a move towards smaller Hotchkiss cars with the 3.1-litre T-type, with side valves in an L-head and high-tension magneto ignition. Two years later came something even smaller and more modern, the 12/16hp Hotchkiss X-type with 2-bearing crankshaft and three forward speeds at £390. Soon monobloc engines spread up the range to the 3.7-litre Hotckiss AB of 1912. From 1911 there were some smaller L-head sixes, the 4.678cc Hotchkiss X6 and the 5½-litre Hotchkiss AC6; 1912 sales were a record 598 Hotchkiss cars. Electric lighting was available from 1913, and all the 1914 Hotchkiss car models – the 2.6-litre Hotchkiss AG, the 4-litre Hotchkiss AF, the 5.7-litre Hotchkiss AC, and the 6-cylinder Hotchkiss AC6 – had semi-elliptic suspension all round.
The wartime demand for Hotchkiss machine guns led to the establishment of a branch factory under the Englishman Harry Ainsworth, this subsequently making engines for W.R. Morris until it was absorbed by him in 1923. At home Hotchkiss sold off their surplus works capacity at Lyons and concentrated on a revised Hotchkiss car again, the AF with full electrics and a horseshoe-shaped radiator in place of the traditional round one. Its successor, the Hotchkiss AH of 1921, had cantilever rear springs and torque tube drive, and a year later came the Hotchkiss AL with ohv, and a detachable head; front-wheel brakes were added for 1923. There was also a prototype luxury Hotchkiss car at the 1921 Paris Salon; this Hotchkiss AK had a 6.6-litre 6-cylinder ohc engine, dual ignition, 4-speed unit gearbox, servo-assisted 4-wheel brakes, and a cruciform-braced frame, but it never went into production.
The return of Ainsworth to St. Denis in 1923, coincided with the construction of a new Hotchkiss car factory and a more realistic type of car, the 2.4-litre 12CV Hotchkiss AM, with 4-cylinder sv engine, 4-speed unit box, four-wheel brakes, wire hwwls, and Hotchkiss drive once more. Between 1924 and 1928 it was the Hotchkiss car company’s staple product, selling at the rate of over a thousand a year and offering a 70mph performance at a modest outlay. It persisted until 1932, acquiring ohv in 1926 and rod-operated brakes in 1928, and its engine was used in some Morris-Léon Bollées. Even better was the Hotchkiss AM80 of 1929, largely the work of Bertarione. This was a short-stroke (80x100mm), 7-bearing ohv 3-litre six that owed a good deal to the AM2, though early cars featured torque tube drive; it was to be the basis from which all subsequent Hotchkisses were evolved. A silent 3rd gearbox featured on 1931 Hotchkiss car models, Hotchkiss drive reappeared in 1932, and 1933 improvements included Bendix brakes, cruciform-braked frames, down-draught carburetors and mechanical fuel pumps. Hotchkiss AM80 engines were also fitted to Sizaire Frères and Tracta cars.
The 1933 Hotchkiss car range was expanded both up and down, with new Hotchkiss 12CV (2-litre) and 13CV (1.3-litre) fours for the economy market, and an 85mph fast tourer, the 100bhp 3½-litre Hotckiss AM80S, for the enthusiast. This Hotchkiss car was based on the car with which Vasselle won the 1932 Monte Carlo Rally. Hotchkiss cars repeated this success in 1933 and 1934: in the latter year the Hotchkiss cars collected two Glazier Cups in the Alpine Trial. There were further wins in the Monte Carlo in 1938 and 1939; on the latter occasion a Grand Sport Hotchkiss car tied with a 3½-litre Delahaye. Radiators were moved forward on the 1934 Hotchkiss cars, and the 3-litre gave way to a 2.650cc 15CV that was not a success and lasted only one season. The 1935 Hotchkiss cars had synchromesh and integral boots, and at the top of the 3½-litre 20CV range was the twin-carburettor Hotckiss Paris-Nice, a 115bhp sports car capable of 95mph. Hydraulic brakes appeared in 1936 on Hotchkiss cars (to be quietly dropped halfway through 1937). The sports 20CV engine was now giving 125-130bhp and when allied to a short 9ft 2in wheelbase resulted in the Hotchkiss Grand Sport, a true 100mph saloon.
By 1938 the horseshoe radiator on the Hotchkiss car was now a wire-mesh grille, but despite the exigencies of French rearmament programmes the Hotchkiss car company managed to deliver 2.751 Hotchkiss cars that year, made up of the two fours, the reinstated 3-litre Hotchkiss 680, and the 3½-litre Hotchkiss 686 in various forms, including seven-seater limousines with the single-carburettor 100bhp engine. Hotchkiss also came to the rescue of the ailing Amilcar concern, helping to make the Grégoire-inspired 1.185cc Compound, a small fwd saloon with unitary construction in Alpax; this was sold in England, though not in France, as a Hotchkiss car. A 1.3-litre ohv development, the Hotchkiss B67, was ready for production when France collapsed in the summer of 1940.
Hotchkiss never really recovered from World War 2, though Peugeot were briefly interested in the Hotchkiss car company and Hotchkiss 686 cars won the first two post-war Monte Carlo Rallies of 1949 and 1950. The Hotchkiss 12CV and Hotchkiss 20CV were back in production, unchanged, by 1946, but the first year’s output was a miserable 117 Hotchkiss cars. Hydraulic brakes and independent front suspension did not appear until 1949 on Hotchkiss cars (though Hotchkiss had experimented with the latter in 1937), and a Cotal electric gearbox became a factory option. The 1951 Hotchkiss car models were ‘facelifted’ with V-screens, recessed headlamps and auxiliary coil rear suspension, but in the meantime there had been an expensive mistake: the acquisition by Hotchkiss of the rights to the Grégoire flat-4. This ingenious device was a development of the 1938 Amilcar theme featuring all-round independent suspension and a 4-speed overdrive gearbox, as well as front wheel drive. Production Hotchkiss car models with 2.2-litre engines were said to achieve 95mph and 30mpg, but the teething troubles were endless, and Hotchkiss only managed to make 250 Hotchkiss cars in the end. There was a shutdown in 1952 and the price of recovery was a merger with Delahaye that led inevitably to concentration on commercial vehicles. The old Hotchkiss cars 13CV and 20CV received another facelift in time for the 1954 Paris Salon, but his was their swansong, though medium-powered trucks continued to be made until 1970, along with a version of the American Jeep built under licence.
Hotchkiss of Coventry, a British offshoot of the famous French Hotchkiss car firm, was set up during World War 1 to make engines in Britain. Their units became best known as the motive power for Morris and BSA light cars, but before they were taken over by William Morris, Hotchkiss experimented with a small car of their own. The Hotchkiss car consisted of their 1.080cc air-cooled V-twin ohv engine installed with a 3-speed gearbox in a pre-war Morris Oxford chassis. It never went into production.
Source: Georgano, encyclopedia of motorcar; MCS, TRN
The information is written with the greatest of care. However, if you have any suggested amendments please contact us at office@prewarcar.com
Belgium’s greatest marque, the Minerva car, arose from humble beginnings – a bicycle factory opened in 1897 by Sylvain de Jong. He soon progressed to proprietary motorcycle engines (of which he became Europe’s leading supplier), and to complete motor-cycles in 1900, though a year earlier he had built a prototype voiturette and a primitive motor lorry. A 6hp 4-cylinder Minerva car on Panhard lines appeared in 1902, but serious Minerva car manufacture did not get under way until 1904. These early Minerva cars retained side-chain drive an armoured wood frames, but used mechanically-operated side valves in a T-head. The Minerva cars came in 1.6-litre 2-cylinder, 2.4-litre 3-cylinder and 3.2-litre 4-cylinder forms, and alongside them was an ingenious and successful cyclecar, the Minervette. Its 636cc single-cylinder engine was transversely mounted at the front, driving the offside rear wheel by chain via a 2-speed constant-mesh gearbox.. This little Minerva car cost only £106. A year later the Minerva car company had settle down to bevel-driving twins and fours, the latter being a 2.9-litre 14 with steel frame that was sold in London by the Hon C.S. Rolls.
The almost mandatory petrol brougham for Minerva cars came in 1906, but more successful were a 3.6-litre Minerva 22 and a rapid 6.2-litre six Minerva car introduced in 1907. This Minerva car had gate change, and its engine developed 6-bhp. Even faster were the Minerva carfirm’s 8-litre Kaiserpreis Minerva cars with 5-bearing ioe engine and chain drive; Minerva cars failed in the German race but won the Belgian Circuit des Ardennes. In 1909 there was a Minerva L-head monobloc four of 2½-litres’ capacity, but at the same time the Minerva car company adopted the Knight double-sleeve-valve engine, and thereafter all catalogued Minerva cars used Knights.
Though inevitably emphasis now shifted to chauffeur-driven carraiges and silence, Minerva’s Knights were by no means lethargic, as witness outright victories in the Swedish Winter Trials of 1911, 1913 and 1914 by Minerva cars, and distinguished performances in the Austrian Alpine Trials. The 3.3-litre Minerva cars that ran in the 1914 TT were good for 85mph and the Minerva carteam finished intact, in 2nd, 3rd and 5th places. Their success is reflected in the phasing-out of the motorcycles after 1910, and in a clientele of Minerva cars that included Henry Ford as well as the Kings of Belgium, Sweden and Norway.
The 1910 Minerva cars were all fours: a 2.234cc monobloc Minerva 16hp, a 4¼-litre Minerva 26hp, and a large Minerva 38 of 6.3-litre capacity. Electric lighting was available in 1912 on Minerva cars, when Citroën-type helical bevel gears made their appearance; two years later starters were an option and wire wheels were standardized on Minerva car, and the Minerva car range extended from a modest 2.1-litre worm-drive monobloc Minerva 14 (which was popular as a taxi in Sweden) up to an enlarged 7.4-litre Minerva 38.
De Jong was quick to set Minerva cars on their feet after the German occupation of 1914-1918, and by 1920 they were back in production with two Minerva cars, a 3.6-litre 4-cylinder Minerva 20 and a 6-cylinder 30CV of 5.344cc, both with monobloc engines, vacuum feed, cone clutches, 4-speed gearboxes, cantilever rear springing and rear-wheel and transmission brakes, though plate clutches were standardized Minerva cars after 1921. Minerva cars, like Daimler, made their own bodies, a new coachworks being opened at Mortsel, an Antwerp suburb, in 1922; the Minerva carcompany also supplied engines to other firms, among them Mors and the curious Anglo-American Crown Magnetic. (Émile Mathis’s 1913 sleeve-valve cars had been Minerva cars with Mathis radiators). Smaller Minerva cars followed: a 15CV 2-litre four in 1922, and a 20CV six of 3.4-litre capacity in 1923, this Minerva car having 4-wheel brakes as standard, and a wheelbase of nearly 12 feet. In 1925, 2.500 Minerva cars found buyers, and a year later all Minerva cars had 4-wheel brakes, with some necessary Dewandre servo assistance on the big ones. The 1927 Minerva carrange included a replacement for the 30CV, the magnificent 5.954cc Minerva AK six with alloy pistons, light steel sleeves, and a 12ft 5½in wheelbase. There was, however, a new small 6-cylinder Minerva car, the 2-litre Minerva 12-14CV; this came with a 3-speed unit gearbox, central ball change, and lhd, and sold for under £500 in England. This Minerva car was made until 1933.
The carriage trade was not forgotten, for there were three new big cars in 1930: a 150bhp sports edition of the Minerva AK with full-pressure lubrication, and two straight-8s. Of these the 6.6-litre Minerva AL was a vast 9-bearing affair with dual ignition and right-hand change, whereas its 4-litre companion, the 22CV Minerva AP, had coil ignition and central change, and could be bought for less than £900. In 1932 there was a 20CV six Minerva car with the same specification and cylinder dimensions of 75x112mm. However, none of these Minerva cars was suitable for the prevailing economic climate, and 1934 brought what was effectively the Minerva car company’s last model, the 2-litre Minerva M4, Minerva cars first four since 1927. The sleeve-valve engine was retained, but in other respects it was typical of the prevailing idiom, with 3-speed synchromesh gearbox, mechanical brakes and pillarless saloon bodywork.
The Minerva M4 was not a success and in October 1935 Minerva cars merged with the only other Belgian factory still making private cars, Imperia of Nessonvaux. The traditional Minerva cars were continued for another season, and the Minerva AP survived until 1938, but thereafter the only cars sold to the public under the Minerva car name were some fwd Imperias exported to France. Purely experimental was an astonishing Minerva car exhibited at the 1937 Brussels Salon. This featured all-independent springing by torsion bars, and a transversely-mounted 3.6-litre Ford V8 engine drove the front wheels via a torque converter. Only three prototypes were made.
In 1952 a comeback was planned with two Minerva car-models, both of foreign design. The smaller car was based on the 1947 Cemsa-Caproni, and the new luxury Minerva car was to use the mechanical elements of the Armstrong Siddeley Sapphire, but neither materialized. The last Minerva car was a jeep-type 4x4, the C20 of 1956. This Minerva car was powered by a 4-cylinder sv Continental engine.
Source: Georgano, encyclopedia of motorcar; MCS
The information is written with the greatest of care. However, if you have any suggested amendments please contact us at office@prewarcar.com
