The global magazine and marketplace for classic car enthusiasts, by enthusiasts.
The global magazine and marketplace for classic car enthusiasts, by enthusiasts.







Fred Duesenberg began by making bicycles and designed his first Duesenberg car, the Mason, in 1904. He and his brother August made engines with horizontal overhead valves for the 1912 Mason racing cars, and founded Duesenberg Motors in the following year in order to produce marine engines and complete racing cars bearing the Duesenberg name. The most famous of the latter appeared in 1920: a 3-litre Bugatti-inspired Duesenberg straight-8 with single overhead camshaft and three (vertical) valves per cylinder. This Duesenberg won the 1921 French Grand Grand Prix. In the 1920s the Duesenberg racing cars were the great rivals of the Millers at Indianapolis, and victory was assured in 1924 by the adoption of a centrifugal blower on Duesenberg cars. Though a two-stroke 1½-litre 8-cylinder racing engine capable of 7.000rpm was made in 1926, this was not proceeded with. The horizontal-valve Duesenberg engine was taken over in 1920 by the Rochester Motor Manufacturing Co Inc and was used in various sporting and luxury cars.
Meanwhile, at the end of 1920, the first Duesenberg production car made its debut. This Duesenberg Model A was an extremely expensive, if very advanced, luxury car, embodying an 8-cylinder in-line engine – the first to be seen in an American production car – of 4.2 litres, basically similar to the Duesenberg racing unit, but with only two valves per cylinder and developing about 100bhp. There were also hydraulically-operated front wheel brakes – another ‘first’ as far as America was concerned. The Model A was current until 1926. A handful of its little-altered successor, the Duesenberg Model X, was made in 1926-1927, but in the former year E.L. Cord of Auburn acquired control of the Duesenberg company. He stipulated that Fred Duesenberg’s next car should be completely new, and a quite exceptional machine. In fact, the Duesenberg Model J, which made its bow at the end of 1928, was the most remarkable automobile in America: bigger, faster, more elaborate and more expensive than any other, yet also superior to them in refinement and good looks. Its 6.9-litre, 8-cylinder engine, made by Lycoming (a firm which Cord had also bought), had two chain-driven overhead camshafts operating four valves per cylinder; a layout of racing type unique among American cars at the time and said to develop 265bhp at 4250rpm – more than double the output of any rival. Although the complete Duesenberg car weighed more than 4980lb, it was claimed to be capable of 116mph in top gear and 89mph in second. Only Duesenberg Model J chassis were made for which $8500 was asked in 1929. Immensely long and strong and lowbuilt, Duesenberg cars were very popular with all the leading coachbuilders. The Duesenberg company preferred to sell cars complete with bodies designed by them but made by approved builders, such as Murphy, Bohman & Schwarts, Judkins, Derham and Le Baron. In this form, catalogued Duesenberg models cost up to $17.950. The transmission – apart form the double dry-plate clutch – was conventional, as was the suspension by half-elliptic springs and hydraulic shock absorbers. The brakes, of course, were hydraulic, with vacuum servo assistance from late 1929.
In 1932 a supercharged version of the Model J, the Duesenberg SJ, was added. To cope with the 320bhp now alleged to be available, bearings, reciprocating parts and valve springs were strengthened. Usually, the shortest Duesenberg J chassis was used, with the highest axle ratio and stronger front springs. A maximum speed of 129mph was attributed to the Duesenberg SJ, with an acceleration figure of 0-100mph in 17 seconds.
Duesenberg survived the Depression, but died in the collapse of the Cord Corporation in 1937. Attempts to revive the Duesenberg name were made in 1947 and in 1966. The first Duesenberg was unsuccessful, and in 1966 only one Duesenberg car was actually made, powered by a 7-litre V8 Chrysler engine with push-rod overhead valves, developing 431bhp at 5.000rpm. Transmission was automatic, front suspension was independent, and there were disc brakes. Body styling was by Ghia. This Duesenberg venture, too, collapsed.
Source: Georgano, encyclopedia of motorcar; TRN
The information is written with the greatest of care. However, if you have any suggested amendments please contact us at office@prewarcar.com
Wilbur Gunn, the founder of the Lagonda Car Company, hailed over Springfield, Ohio. He came to England in about 1897. In 1898 he built an air-cooled cycle in a greenhouse at Staines. On this site the first vehicle to bear the Lagonda car name was assembled in 1900, an improved version of the air-cooled cycle; and it was here that Lagonda cars were to be built until 1947.
To his new product, the Lagonda car, Gunn gave the French form of the American Indian name for Buck Creek, the stream near his home town. In 1905 the Lagonda car company’s first racing success came when a V-twin cycle won the London-Edingburgh trial. This victory encouraged Gunn to enter the motor car field with a 20hp 4-cylinder Lagonda car. Developed in 1906, this first Lagonda car was brought out the following year as the Lagonda Torpedo. A 6-cylinder version followed; the Lagonda car carried Wilbur Gunn and Bert Hammond to win the Moscow – St Petersburg Reliability Trial in 1910. The big tourer Lagonda car was a result ‘greatly favoured’ by Tsar Nicholas II, and the Lagonda Car Company’s early fortune was made form exporting these Lagonda cars to Russia until war broke out in 1914.
At home a dapper Lagonda 14/4 replaced the earlier Lagonda 12/4 in 1909. This gave way in 1913 to an 11.1hp light Lagonda car of radically advanced design. Among its more striking innovations were a riveted monocoque body of unit construction; an anti-roll bar to assist the suspension; and the Lagonda car had the earliest known fly-off hand brake. The Lagonda car enjoyed a wide market, being subsequently enlarged into a 11.9 in 1920 and a 12/24 in 1924, though later Lagonda cars no longer had monocoque construction.
In 1925 Arthur Davidson designed the 1954cc ohv-engined Lagonda car which marks the beginning of the Lagonda as a sports car. The Lagonda 14/60 engine featured 4-fully-machined hemispherical combustion chambers, the first to be marketed, aspirated by interchangebale valves opposed at 90 degrees. Twin camshafts were carried high in the block of the Lagonda car. A Rubury braking system of prodigious efficiency was fitted. Grouped chassis lubrication nipples were featured, as was a clutch stop. The whole Lagonda car was superbly finished.
The Lagonda 2-litre Speed Model, a modified version of the 14/60 Lagonda car, was developed late in 1927 for the 1928 season. The chief difference between it and the earlier Lagonda car lay in the valve-timing overlap, twin carburetors on a direct manifold, and a raised compression ratio of 6.8:1. These alterations combined to give the Lagonda Speed Model tourer an acceleration from rest to 80mph in 50 seconds, and the new Lagonda car did well in competition. A 2½-litre 6-cylinder Lagonda car with push-rod operated ohv was introduced in 1926, and this was subsequently enlarged to 3-litres on Lagonda cars in 1928. For 1930 the chassis of the Lagonda 2-litre was lowered and during that year a supercharged Lagonda car became available. In 1932 came the last of the 4-cylinder 2-litres Lagonda cars, the Lagonda Continental, which had smaller wheels and a sloping radiator, and this finally gave way to the Lagonda 16/80, a 2-litre six with a push-rod operated ohv engine of Crossley manufacture. This Lagonda car was later fitted with an ENV preselector gearbox. This was an attractive car but, like all the Lagonda 2-litres, it suffered from excessive weight.
In the meantime a version of the 3-litre known as the Lagonda Selector Special appeared. This Lagonda car was fitted with a Maybach gearbox that gave eight forward speeds, four high and four low, by means of an internal reduction gear with semi-automatic control. This Lagonda car was something of a failure, however, and was quietly dropped.
At the 1933 Motor Show two outstanding Lagonda cars were introduced: the 1.104cc Lagonda Rapier, with twin overhead camshafts and the 4½-litre Lagonda M45, having a similar Meadows 6-cylinder ohv engine to that in the now defunct Invicta. At last a Lagonda car had real performance and it is noteworthy that the Lagonda Car Company made their own very attractive coachwork.
For 1935 two additional Lagonda car models made their appearance, the 4½ Lagonda Rapide and the Lagonda 3½-litre, both using the same shortened chassis. It was no doubt this complexity of models which caused the Lagonda car company to get into financial difficulties, and a victory at Le Mans by a Lagonda Rapide came too late to save the day.
When in the summer of 1935 Alan Good saved the Lagonda Car Company from absorption by Rolls-Royce, he appointed W.O. Bentley as chief designer. The Lagonda LG45 model with which Bentley attacked the Luxury market in 1936 had longer road springs and Luvax dampers, but retained the Lagonda M45R engine and chassis. Not until the 1936 Motor Show could Bentley’s influence on the Meadows engine be seen in its definitive form in Lagonda cars. The Sanction III unit featured an improved coss-flow inlet manifold cast integrally into the head, onto which the carburetors were now bolted directly. Various other improvements on the engine of the Lagonda cars including a lightened flywheel allowed the line on the revolution counter to be moved up to 4.000rpm.
The last of the 4½-litre Lagonda cars was the Lagonda LG6 of 1938. This Lagonda car had independent front suspension, hydraulic brakes and outboard rear springs, but still used the Meadows engine. The V12 engine, brought out for the 1937 Lagonda car season, is considered the finest of W.O. Bentley’s designs. This 180bhp unit could raise the Lagonda car’s speed from 7 to 103,45mph on top gear without snatching; and this flexibility could be supplemented by revving freely to 5.000rpm on the indirects. Regrettably the Lagonda car design was never developed fully, for production was stopped in 1940, a few months after Lagonda Rapide versions had been placed third and fourth at Le Mans.
In 1947 the Lagonda car firm was taken over by the David Brown complex. Contrary to spelling the end of the traditional Lagonda car, the new merger enabled Bentley’s last motor-car design to be realized. This was the Lagonda 2.6-litre model which appeared in 1948. Its brilliant but unorthodox layout embraced a true cruciform chassis, independent rear suspension unique amongst British cars, and a twin ohc 6-cylinder engine. A bored-out edition of the 2.6 Lagonda car was offered as the 3-litre in 1951, featuring luxurious styling, rich appointments and a top speed of 110mph. HRH the Duke of Edingburgh had two Lagonda cars for his personal use, and for many years was a honorary member of the Lagonda Club.
The Lagonda Rapide was announced in 1961. Using a DB4 engine of 3.996cc capacity, the Lagonda car was set up on a platform chassis with independent springing all round, servo-assisted disc brakes and a De Dion rear axle. An elegant, aluminium Superleggera body by Touring of Milan contributed greatly to the Lagonda car’s massive acceleration. The Lagonda Rapide’s top speed was a genuine 125mph with comfortable cruising at 120; its sumptuous finish and appointments were in kepping with a price of £5.000. Production of Lagonda cars ceased in 1963, though a 4-door saloon version of the V8 Aston Martin DBS built for Sir David Brown in 1970 bore the Lagonda emblem.
Source: Georgano, encyclopedia of motorcar; HAF
The information is written with the greatest of care. However, if you have any suggested amendments please contact us at office@prewarcar.com


