The global magazine and marketplace for classic car enthusiasts, by enthusiasts.
The global magazine and marketplace for classic car enthusiasts, by enthusiasts.
This well-known bicycle and typewriter firm had already built components for Benz as well as a few De Dion tricycles when their first car appeared in 1900. This closely resembled the contemporary Renault, with tubular frame, shaft drive, and front-mounted 400cc single-cylinder De Dion engine; suspension was full-elliptic all round and steering was by tiller, but both these archaisms had gone by 1901 when a bigger 510cc power unit was standardized. By 1902 the company were making their own engines, an 850cc single and a 1.7-litre twin, there were four forward speeds, and the lateral radiators continued the Renault idiom.
With the arrival of Edmund Rumpler in 1903 the Adler idiom crystallized, even if this experimental swing-axle suspension did not pass beyond the prototype stage. Characteristics of the new models were side valves in an L-head, dual ignition, pressed-steel frames, and rectangular radiators. Four cylinders were preferred, though singles were still offered in 1905, and twins as late as 1909. By 1905 there were 4-cylinder cars of 2.8-litres, 4-litres and 7.4-litres, this last figuring in Adler’s Herkomer Trophy entry, and attracting an order from Kaiser Wilhelm II in 1907. If the 1906 Kleinwagen, a 1.032cc aiv V-twin with water cooling and steel artillery wheels, marked a retrograde step, by 1907 the company had adopted the unit gearbox, and were experimenting with ioe engines, achieving a 3rd place in the Prince Henry trials. There were also some modest short-stroke fours. A 2-litre 8/15ps was followed a year later by the successful 1.555cc 7/15. This developed into the 1.8-litre 7/15, popular in England as the 12hp. These small Adlers had dual ignition, but foot accelerators were found only on the bigger cars as late as 1913. There was a fast 5.2-litre 76bhp ioe model for the 1910 Prince Henry Trials, and a smaller 3.2-litre version was offered to the public. It evolved into the 15/40 of 1913, with 3.8-litre and 69bhp, used as the basis for Adler’s unsuccessful 1914 T.T. racers. Their Knight-engined 1911 cars did not progress beyond the prototype stage, but very attractive was that year’s new model, the 1.3-litre K voiturette, initially with pair-cast cylinders, but offered in 1913 with Monobloc engine and a choice of side-by-side or tandem seats. Rear suspension was full-elliptic. It did 50mhp and 38mpg, and was well received by Britons, who bought it under the name of Morgan-Adler Carette. There were also some large sv fours, the 4.8-litre 19/45 appearing in 1911, followed in 1912 by a 7.8-litre 30/70, and in 1914 by a V-radiatored 9.1-litre monster, top of a nine-model range. Also new was an enlarged K, the 1.552cc KL with four-seater bodywork and semi-elliptic rear springs.
A selection of the more popular 1914 types reappeared in 1919, and even in 1922 a replacement for the KL, the 6/22PS, retained a fixed head and reverted to a separate gearbox. Adler’s first sixes came in 1925, these boasting alloy pistons, detachable heads, and front wheel brakes. The 10/50 had a 2.6-litre Monobloc engine, but the 4.7-litre 18/80 was of biblock type. Also new was an essay in the American idiom, Becker’s 1.550cc 4-cylinder Favorit. Three years later it had been joined by a 2.9-litre six and a 3.9-litre straight-8, both with hydraulic brakes, these being offered on an enlarged and modernized Favorit in 1929.
At the Geneva Show in 1932 Adler presented their new 1.5-litre Trumpf with front-wheel drive and independent wheel suspension, a design of H.G. Röhr. This first front-driven car was followed by the 1-litre Trumpf Junior, the 1.7-litre Trumpf and the 2-litre model. The competition versions of these models – very often fitted with aerodynamic bodies – were very successful in the years from their appearance to the outbreak of World War 2. Streamlined Trumpf and Trumpf Junior cars gained 22 international records in 1935 and 1936 on the Avus and the Darmstadt Autobahn. A win in the Leinster Trophy Race of 1934, a Team Prize at Spa in 1936 in the 2-litre class, a 2-litre class win and 6th place overall at Le Mans in 1937 were only a few of the victories. In 1937 Adler introduced a rear-wheel driven model again, the 2.5-litre with 6-cylinder 50bhp engine, aerodynamic body and swing axles. The sports version of this type developed 80bhp.
Production of private ceased in 1939. Some prototypes of the Trumpf Junior were produced after the war and were on show at the Hanover Fair 1948, but production was not taken up. Instead of this, production of motorcycles was resumed, lasting until 1957.
Source: Georgano, encyclopedia of motorcar; HON
The information is written with the greatest of care. However, if you have any suggested amendments please contact us at office@prewarcar.com
Lea Francis started as bicycle manufacturers, like so many car makers, but unlike most of the rest, never went over permanently and consistently to Lea Francis cars. These Lea Francis cars appeared in fits and starts. The first appeared in 1904, in the shape of a 15hp Lea Francis car with a 3-cylinder horizontal engine, the oddest feature of which was its connecting rods over 3ft long. In the same year, however, Lea Francis stopped making their cars, and Singer the Cycle Company began building Lea Francis cars under licence and under the Singer name. R.H. Lea had in fact worked for Singer before branching out on his own. Thus began another famous car name. Lea Francis made motor cycles from 1911, and they concentrated on these until 1920. In that year two Lea Francis cars reappeared beside the motorcycles; assembled 4-cylinder touring Lea Francis cars of 11.9 and 13.9hp. Few of either were made. Then, late in 1922, the Lea Francis car company found its feet at last, with an equally conventional assembled light Lea Francis car. This Lea Francis car had a 1.074cc 4-cylinder sv engine of 8.9hp by Coventry-Simplex, replaced in the following year by a 10hp Meadows unit of 1¼ litres with overhead valves. A Lea Francis car with 7hp Bradshaw flat-twin engine came to nothing. There were 3 forward speeds and quarter-elliptic springs at both ends. The 10hp Lea Francis car was very popular, and was made until 1928. Like other Lea Francise cars to come, it was well made, dependable, and lively. The great moment came for the Lea Francis cars in the very important RAC Small Car Trials of 1924, in which the Lea Francis car made the best all-round performance. During 1925 a wider family market was sought with the 12/22hp J-type Lea Francis car. This Lea Francis car had a longer wheelbase, allowing more spacious bodies, front-wheel brakes, a 1½-litre 4EC Meadows engine to cope with the weight and a 4-speed gearbox. For the sake of comfort, semi-elliptic springs were substituted at the rear on the P-type Lea Francis car introduced for 1928, which also had a plate clutch and 4ED meadows engine.
The Lea Francis car firm’s first serious sports car was the L-type with 4ED engine, announced for 1925. The Lea Francis 12/40hp was one of the best assembled cars in Britain, and appealed more widely than the light Lea Francis cars. It was, indeed, current until the second cessation of car production in 1935. However, Lea Francis also made some more ponderous, less lively Lea Francis cars, without the same degree of success. From 1925 until 1929, the Lea Francis range duplicated some of the heavy 6-cylinder machines offered by Vulcan of Southport, with whom Lea Francis cars had been associated since 1922. The 18hp Lea Francis car was a 2¼-litre car with cantilever rear springs and overhead worm drive. This Lea Francis car was succeeded by A.O. Lord’s Type T, with its advanced but unreliable Lea Francis LFS-type, double ohc engine of 1.7-litres. There was also, in 1928, a 2-litre six Lea Francis car. These Vulcan/ Lea Francis cars ended with the demise of the Vulcan. However, an excellent Lea Francis car with a six was at last introduced for 1931: the Lea Francis Ace of Spades model, with their own 2-litre, single ohc engine. This Lea Francis car continued alongside the old 12/40hp until 1935, together with a new 18hp Lea Francis car, which was a 2¼-litre enlargement of the Lea Francis Ace of Spades. However, a really powerful Lea Francis car was also listed from 1928. This Lea Francis Hyper Sports was a quite different car, with its heavily-modified, Cozette-supercharged Meadows 1½-litre engine, low build and raked radiator. The sports-racing two-seater Lea Francis car could attain 90mph, though a coupé and a short open tourer could also be had by those who did not intend to enter competitions. The Lea Francis Hyper Sports won the 1928 Ulster Trophy race.
A new company introduced two entirely new Lea Francis cars for 1938. These Lea Francis cars were designed by Hugh Rose, who had been responsible for the Riley Nine engine and, like the Riley, had 4-cylinder power units with push-rod overhead valves operated by two high camshafts. The Lea Francis car had ceased to be an entirely assembled car. A 12hp and a 14hp Lea Francis car were available, with cubic capacities of 1½ and 1.6-litres. Both had a 4-speed synchromesh gearbox. A sports version of the 1½-litre Lea Francis car was also sold, thus maintaining the old tradition. These two ‘Leafs’ were good cars, and as they were new, up-to-date Lea Francis carmodels, they could be continued after World War 2. Most of those built in this period were Lea Francis Fourteens, which were heavier but had a bigger bore and a capacity of 1.8-litres. A tuned sports Lea Francis car of the 14hp arrived for 1948. At the end of that year, an export version of the 14hp Lea Francis car, with torsion-bar independent front suspension, was shown and this suspension was adopted for both the 14hp and for the new 18hp, with a 2½-litre engine, in 1950. The sports model of the 18hp Lea Francis car was a fine car, with 100bhp available. The Lea Francis cars for 1953 had hydraulic brakes, but that was the last year in which the Lea Francis car appeared as a competitive production car. By mid-1952, output had fallen to six Lea Francis cars a week. An expensive car of specialist appeal, the post-war years were too hard for it. In 1960 a few prototypes of a new sports Lea Francis car, the Leaf-Lynx, were made, but it never reached production. The power unit of this Lea Francis car was a 2½-litre Ford Zephyr, there was independent front suspension and disc brakes were supplied, but the car was ill-favoured and ill received. No better luck attented the Lea Francis carfirm’s attempt to make the Nobel bubble-car.
Source: Georgano, encyclopedia of motorcar; TRN
The information is written with the greatest of care. However, if you have any suggested amendments please contact us at office@prewarcar.com

