The global magazine and marketplace for classic car enthusiasts, by enthusiasts.
The global magazine and marketplace for classic car enthusiasts, by enthusiasts.







David Buick’s first car followed conventional American design in having a flat-twin engine mounted amidships under the floor, a two-speed planetary transmission, and final drive by chain – but unusual were its mechanically-operated full overhead valves, a feature of all cars bearing the name of Buick to the present day, apart from Buick fours of the 1906 – 1909 period, which had side-valves in T-heads. Capacity was 2.6-litres, and it sold for $1.250. Developments of this original Buick model were selling in England for £294 in 1907, but there was already a companion 4.2-litre four with front-mounted engine, and 1908 saw a ‘square’ Buick four (95.2x95.2mm) with planetary transmission added to the range. In 1908 W.C. Durant formed General Motors, Buick being one of the original members of the group. In 1909 Bob Burman drove a Buick to victory in the first race ever held at Indianapolis Speedway. Sales had exceeded 30.000 Buick cars by 1910. For the next few years Buicks with English bodywork were sold in Britain first as ‘all British Bedfords’, and then as ‘Bedford-Buicks’. By 1912 planetary transmission had been dropped and 4-cylinder Buick cars were available in 2.7-litre, 3.3-litre and 5.2-litre sizes, still with rhd, but with the brake and gear levers faired into the driver’s door. Delco electric lighting and starting were standard on all Buick models by 1914, in which year Buick marketed their first six, the Buick B-55. Nearly 126.000 Buick cars were sold in 1916, and the company entered the post-World War 1 era with a 2.8-litre four and a 3.9-litre six, cars which brought Buick into fourth position in US sales, behind Ford, Dodge, and Chevrolet, all far cheaper vehicles; a Buick Six tourer cost $1795 in 1921.
Drastic change came in 1924. The Buick cars acquired front wheel brakes as standard equipment, while cylinder heads were now detachable, and the rounded radiator shell gave way to an angular, Packard-like outline that was to continue until 1928. Prices of Buick fours started at $935, and the cheapest Buick six was listed at $1565. The 6-cylinder cars became the staple in 1925 and the ‘back-to-front’ gear shift pattern shared with Dodge was discarded in 1927. The Buick cars were completely re-styled in 1929, when hydraulic shock absorbers were added, and the capacities of the two basic Buick models were increased to 3.8-litres and 5.1-litres respectively. Prices ran from $1.195 to $2.145, but for Buick customers with slenderer pockets there was the Buick Marquette. Buick went over to an all-straight-8 programme, still with overhead valves, in 1931. Expanding brakes were now standard at front and rear. Synchromesh was standardized on the more expensive Buick models and available as an extra on all, and was standardized throughout the range in 1932.
Buick’s evolution up to World War 2 followed General motors policy; cruciform-braced frame and no-draught ventilation in 1933, Dubonnet-type ifs in 1934, and turret-top styling, down-draught carburation and hydraulic brakes in 1936 with the Buick DA-series – one example of which became famous when it took Mrs Ernest Simpson into exile at the time of the British Abdication crisis. Despite Buick’s upper middle-class position in the GM sales picture, the 1937 range of 4.1-litre and 5.2-litre eights covered everything from a sedan on a 10ft 2in wheelbase at $855 up to a seven-seater Buick C090 limousine at $2095; prices in Britain, where the Buick cars were consistently well received between the Wars, were £500 and £865 respectively. 1938 Buicks had coil springing all round, and that year the Division produced GM’s first ‘dream car’, a two-seater convertible coupé styled by Harley Earl on a Roadmaster chassis. Buicks used the same engines up to 1952, though they came out with a 2-speed Dynaflow automatic transmission in 1948. In 1948 they pioneered the now popular hardtop convertible body with their Buick Riveira. The smaller engines were, however, enlarged to 4.3-litres in 1952, and the following year the Division’s first ohv V8 unit appeared; its capacity was 5.3-litres, and its output 188bhp. All 1954 Buicks used this type of engine.
Buick sales dropped in 1958, but the 1959 cars were style leaders with the delta tail and fins. Buick’s first effort at a compact car in 1961 was the Buick Special with an all-aluminium 155bhp, 3½-litres V8 engine, replaced the following year by a cast-iron V6, used also by Oldsmobile. The demand for cars with a sporting flavor resulted in the handsome Buick Riviera sports coupé of 1963, which by 1966 was giving 340bhp from 7 litres, and was capable of 120mph. Automatic transmission was, of course, standard. The 1966 Buick range had a more sporting atmosphere than in the past, and embraced the Buick Special with a 9ft 7in wheelbase and a choice of V6 or 4.9-litre V8 engines; the Buick Skylark with the same chassis dimensions and a 6.6-litre V8 engine; and the bigger Buicks in the shape of the 5½-litre Buick Le Sabre, the 6.6-litre Buick Wildcat, the Buick Electra, and the top-line Buick Riviera. These models continued without basic change until 1971, though concealed screenwipers (found on other GM cars of that year) and the option of front disc brakes came in 1967, and cylinder capacities were increased: the biggest V8 ran to 7046cc in that year, to 7456cc in 1970. The small 3½-litre V8 abandoned by Buick in 1963 was taken up by Rover of England in 1968 and was subsequently supplied by them to Morgan. The 1971 Buick station wagons featured glide-away tailgates. By 1972 all but the economy Buick Skylarks had front disc brakes as regular equipment. Engine outputs were reduced (from 370bhp to 250bhp in the case of the most potent V8), and the Buick Riviera was restyled in the Chevrolet Corvette hardtop idiom. Only V8s, of 5736cc and 7456cc, were offered in 1973; the Buick Skylark gave way to a new car with an old Buick name, the Century, that reverted to the single-headlamp layout.
Source: Georgano, encyclopedia of motorcar; MCS
The information is written with the greatest of care. However, if you have any suggested amendments please contact us at office@prewarcar.com
Lea Francis started as bicycle manufacturers, like so many car makers, but unlike most of the rest, never went over permanently and consistently to Lea Francis cars. These Lea Francis cars appeared in fits and starts. The first appeared in 1904, in the shape of a 15hp Lea Francis car with a 3-cylinder horizontal engine, the oddest feature of which was its connecting rods over 3ft long. In the same year, however, Lea Francis stopped making their cars, and Singer the Cycle Company began building Lea Francis cars under licence and under the Singer name. R.H. Lea had in fact worked for Singer before branching out on his own. Thus began another famous car name. Lea Francis made motor cycles from 1911, and they concentrated on these until 1920. In that year two Lea Francis cars reappeared beside the motorcycles; assembled 4-cylinder touring Lea Francis cars of 11.9 and 13.9hp. Few of either were made. Then, late in 1922, the Lea Francis car company found its feet at last, with an equally conventional assembled light Lea Francis car. This Lea Francis car had a 1.074cc 4-cylinder sv engine of 8.9hp by Coventry-Simplex, replaced in the following year by a 10hp Meadows unit of 1¼ litres with overhead valves. A Lea Francis car with 7hp Bradshaw flat-twin engine came to nothing. There were 3 forward speeds and quarter-elliptic springs at both ends. The 10hp Lea Francis car was very popular, and was made until 1928. Like other Lea Francise cars to come, it was well made, dependable, and lively. The great moment came for the Lea Francis cars in the very important RAC Small Car Trials of 1924, in which the Lea Francis car made the best all-round performance. During 1925 a wider family market was sought with the 12/22hp J-type Lea Francis car. This Lea Francis car had a longer wheelbase, allowing more spacious bodies, front-wheel brakes, a 1½-litre 4EC Meadows engine to cope with the weight and a 4-speed gearbox. For the sake of comfort, semi-elliptic springs were substituted at the rear on the P-type Lea Francis car introduced for 1928, which also had a plate clutch and 4ED meadows engine.
The Lea Francis car firm’s first serious sports car was the L-type with 4ED engine, announced for 1925. The Lea Francis 12/40hp was one of the best assembled cars in Britain, and appealed more widely than the light Lea Francis cars. It was, indeed, current until the second cessation of car production in 1935. However, Lea Francis also made some more ponderous, less lively Lea Francis cars, without the same degree of success. From 1925 until 1929, the Lea Francis range duplicated some of the heavy 6-cylinder machines offered by Vulcan of Southport, with whom Lea Francis cars had been associated since 1922. The 18hp Lea Francis car was a 2¼-litre car with cantilever rear springs and overhead worm drive. This Lea Francis car was succeeded by A.O. Lord’s Type T, with its advanced but unreliable Lea Francis LFS-type, double ohc engine of 1.7-litres. There was also, in 1928, a 2-litre six Lea Francis car. These Vulcan/ Lea Francis cars ended with the demise of the Vulcan. However, an excellent Lea Francis car with a six was at last introduced for 1931: the Lea Francis Ace of Spades model, with their own 2-litre, single ohc engine. This Lea Francis car continued alongside the old 12/40hp until 1935, together with a new 18hp Lea Francis car, which was a 2¼-litre enlargement of the Lea Francis Ace of Spades. However, a really powerful Lea Francis car was also listed from 1928. This Lea Francis Hyper Sports was a quite different car, with its heavily-modified, Cozette-supercharged Meadows 1½-litre engine, low build and raked radiator. The sports-racing two-seater Lea Francis car could attain 90mph, though a coupé and a short open tourer could also be had by those who did not intend to enter competitions. The Lea Francis Hyper Sports won the 1928 Ulster Trophy race.
A new company introduced two entirely new Lea Francis cars for 1938. These Lea Francis cars were designed by Hugh Rose, who had been responsible for the Riley Nine engine and, like the Riley, had 4-cylinder power units with push-rod overhead valves operated by two high camshafts. The Lea Francis car had ceased to be an entirely assembled car. A 12hp and a 14hp Lea Francis car were available, with cubic capacities of 1½ and 1.6-litres. Both had a 4-speed synchromesh gearbox. A sports version of the 1½-litre Lea Francis car was also sold, thus maintaining the old tradition. These two ‘Leafs’ were good cars, and as they were new, up-to-date Lea Francis carmodels, they could be continued after World War 2. Most of those built in this period were Lea Francis Fourteens, which were heavier but had a bigger bore and a capacity of 1.8-litres. A tuned sports Lea Francis car of the 14hp arrived for 1948. At the end of that year, an export version of the 14hp Lea Francis car, with torsion-bar independent front suspension, was shown and this suspension was adopted for both the 14hp and for the new 18hp, with a 2½-litre engine, in 1950. The sports model of the 18hp Lea Francis car was a fine car, with 100bhp available. The Lea Francis cars for 1953 had hydraulic brakes, but that was the last year in which the Lea Francis car appeared as a competitive production car. By mid-1952, output had fallen to six Lea Francis cars a week. An expensive car of specialist appeal, the post-war years were too hard for it. In 1960 a few prototypes of a new sports Lea Francis car, the Leaf-Lynx, were made, but it never reached production. The power unit of this Lea Francis car was a 2½-litre Ford Zephyr, there was independent front suspension and disc brakes were supplied, but the car was ill-favoured and ill received. No better luck attented the Lea Francis carfirm’s attempt to make the Nobel bubble-car.
Source: Georgano, encyclopedia of motorcar; TRN
The information is written with the greatest of care. However, if you have any suggested amendments please contact us at office@prewarcar.com


