The global magazine and marketplace for classic car enthusiasts, by enthusiasts.
The global magazine and marketplace for classic car enthusiasts, by enthusiasts.
The Chenard-Walcker company was founded in 1899 and made tricycles before exhibiting the first Chenard-Walcker car at the 1901 Paris Salon. It was a 1.160cc twin with mechanically operated side valves in a T-head, coil ignition, four forward speeds, and a flitchplate frame. The most interesting feature was, however, the ‘double’ back axle with the drive taken by two cardan shafts independently of a second, dead axle beam. This was to be a feature of the Chenard-Walcker make until the middle 1920s, though at first a cheaper Chenard-Walcker 10hp car was for sale with conventional drive, and there as also a short-lived Chenard-Walcker 12hp twin with side-chain transmission in 1904. A 4.1-litre 4-cylinder with Iow-tension magneto ignition followed in 1903, and by 1905 only Chenard-Walcker fours were made, the smallest short-stroke 2.6-litre was made exclusively for export to Britain. By 1906 the Chenard-Walcker cars for sale had the classic radiator with round core. In 1907 Chenard-Walcker cars had pressed-steel chassis, twin transmission brakes, and no hand throttle. New during 1908 was a 9/10hp single that had a 4-speed gearbox, though neither this nor its companion twin was quoted after 1910, by which time L-head engines had arrived on the 2.1-litre P-type. From 1912 to 1914 the Chenard-Walcker cars had monobloc power units with full-pressure lubcrication. Friction dampers were standard, and capacities of the fours were 1.6-litres and 3-litres. A big six joined the Chenard-Walcker range in 1913.
The staple 1919 Chenard-Walcker was the usual uprated 1914 design, the 3-litre Chenard-Walcker UU, still with separate 4-speed gearbox and foot transmission brake; it was joined by a 2651cc Chenard-Walcker 12CV in 1920, and by a 2-litre, the Chenard-Walcker TT, in 1921, and a 3-speed 1½-litre Chenard-Walcker Type Y, appeared in 1923, these old-fashioned machines persisiting for several years. New in 1922, however, was the Touté-designed 3-litre, an ohc four with dry-sump lubcrication that gave close on 90bhp, and had the usual Hallot servo brakes on front wheels and transmission only. These Chenard-Walcker cars finished 1st and 2nd in the first Le Mans 24-Hour Race of 1923, as well as winning the 1924 Circuit des Routes Pavées. A 2-litre edition followed soon afterwards, these sports Chenard-Walcker cars being made until 1927. From 1925 there were also parallel sv touring editions of Chenard-Walcker with similar chassis and plug covers giving the appearance of ohv units.
In 1924 and 1925 the Chenard-Walcker company raced a bi-block straight-8 which in its final form had brakes on all four wheels, and achieved nearly 110mph on 130bhp. But it was never reliable though it was catalogued, at 84.525 francs for a Chenard-Walcker tourer. Much more successful were the 1100cc ‘Chenard-Walcker tanks’ for sale with 55bhp 2-bearing pushrod engines and differential-less back axles that had two successful racing seasons (1925 and 1926) and even staged a comeback in 1937, when two Chenard-Walcker examples finished 1st and 2nd in the Bol d’Or. For 1927 the company introduced the 8CV Chenard-Walcker Z2, a tough little family car with 1300cc sv short-stroke engine, magneto ignition, 4-speed gearbox, conventional rear axle, and fabric bodywork; it sold for 24.000 francs. That year, however, an association with Delahaye, which lasted until 1932, led to the rationalization of both companies’ ranges, and it became difficult to tell the two makes apart. A production edition of the ‘Chenard-Walcker tank’ came out in 1928 with a 1½-litre ioe engine, but this was the last Chenard-Walcker with any sporting potential; the range now consisted of pedestrian sv fours, plus a couple of Delahaye-like ioe sixes with capacities of 2½-litres and 2.9-litres. The smaller of these, the Chenard-Walcker 14CV, was still being made in 1934. In 1932 the Chenard-Walcker T11 appeared, a new 12CV four on the usual lines with a free-wheel as standard equipment. Then in 1934 Chenard-Walcker cars, now free of Delahaye influence, adopted transverse ifs. They also offered a 3560cc sv V8, the Chenard-Walcker Aigle 8, which used their own engine, in effect a double T11 unit. In 1935 the Chenard-Walcker cars had torsion-bar front suspension and the option of a Cotal gearbox, and ohv engines became available; the range consisted of two fours and the eight. A 4-cylinder fwd car did not go into production.
From 1937 onwards Chenard-Walcker cars slowly lost their individuality. Their bodies were replaced by Chausson coachwork identical to that of the Matford, and only one Chenard-Walcker model retained the 2.180cc ohv Chenard-Walcker engine. The other Chenard-Walcker cars had 1911cc 4-cylinder Citroën and 3622cc Matford units. Finally Citroën and Matford chassis were adopted as well and the Chenard engine dropped, the only ‘native’ components of the cars being their back axles – though the cabriolets were quite handsome, being of Vutotal type with no screen pillars. A few Chenard-Walcker 11CV and 21CV cars were made after World War 2, but from 1947 the staple Chenard-Walcker product was a forward-control light van, the development of which was continued by Peugeot after that company took over in 1951.
Source: Georgano, encyclopedia of motorcar; MCS
The information is written with the greatest of care. However, if you have any suggested amendments please contact us at office@prewarcar.com
Lea Francis started as bicycle manufacturers, like so many car makers, but unlike most of the rest, never went over permanently and consistently to Lea Francis cars. These Lea Francis cars appeared in fits and starts. The first appeared in 1904, in the shape of a 15hp Lea Francis car with a 3-cylinder horizontal engine, the oddest feature of which was its connecting rods over 3ft long. In the same year, however, Lea Francis stopped making their cars, and Singer the Cycle Company began building Lea Francis cars under licence and under the Singer name. R.H. Lea had in fact worked for Singer before branching out on his own. Thus began another famous car name. Lea Francis made motor cycles from 1911, and they concentrated on these until 1920. In that year two Lea Francis cars reappeared beside the motorcycles; assembled 4-cylinder touring Lea Francis cars of 11.9 and 13.9hp. Few of either were made. Then, late in 1922, the Lea Francis car company found its feet at last, with an equally conventional assembled light Lea Francis car. This Lea Francis car had a 1.074cc 4-cylinder sv engine of 8.9hp by Coventry-Simplex, replaced in the following year by a 10hp Meadows unit of 1¼ litres with overhead valves. A Lea Francis car with 7hp Bradshaw flat-twin engine came to nothing. There were 3 forward speeds and quarter-elliptic springs at both ends. The 10hp Lea Francis car was very popular, and was made until 1928. Like other Lea Francise cars to come, it was well made, dependable, and lively. The great moment came for the Lea Francis cars in the very important RAC Small Car Trials of 1924, in which the Lea Francis car made the best all-round performance. During 1925 a wider family market was sought with the 12/22hp J-type Lea Francis car. This Lea Francis car had a longer wheelbase, allowing more spacious bodies, front-wheel brakes, a 1½-litre 4EC Meadows engine to cope with the weight and a 4-speed gearbox. For the sake of comfort, semi-elliptic springs were substituted at the rear on the P-type Lea Francis car introduced for 1928, which also had a plate clutch and 4ED meadows engine.
The Lea Francis car firm’s first serious sports car was the L-type with 4ED engine, announced for 1925. The Lea Francis 12/40hp was one of the best assembled cars in Britain, and appealed more widely than the light Lea Francis cars. It was, indeed, current until the second cessation of car production in 1935. However, Lea Francis also made some more ponderous, less lively Lea Francis cars, without the same degree of success. From 1925 until 1929, the Lea Francis range duplicated some of the heavy 6-cylinder machines offered by Vulcan of Southport, with whom Lea Francis cars had been associated since 1922. The 18hp Lea Francis car was a 2¼-litre car with cantilever rear springs and overhead worm drive. This Lea Francis car was succeeded by A.O. Lord’s Type T, with its advanced but unreliable Lea Francis LFS-type, double ohc engine of 1.7-litres. There was also, in 1928, a 2-litre six Lea Francis car. These Vulcan/ Lea Francis cars ended with the demise of the Vulcan. However, an excellent Lea Francis car with a six was at last introduced for 1931: the Lea Francis Ace of Spades model, with their own 2-litre, single ohc engine. This Lea Francis car continued alongside the old 12/40hp until 1935, together with a new 18hp Lea Francis car, which was a 2¼-litre enlargement of the Lea Francis Ace of Spades. However, a really powerful Lea Francis car was also listed from 1928. This Lea Francis Hyper Sports was a quite different car, with its heavily-modified, Cozette-supercharged Meadows 1½-litre engine, low build and raked radiator. The sports-racing two-seater Lea Francis car could attain 90mph, though a coupé and a short open tourer could also be had by those who did not intend to enter competitions. The Lea Francis Hyper Sports won the 1928 Ulster Trophy race.
A new company introduced two entirely new Lea Francis cars for 1938. These Lea Francis cars were designed by Hugh Rose, who had been responsible for the Riley Nine engine and, like the Riley, had 4-cylinder power units with push-rod overhead valves operated by two high camshafts. The Lea Francis car had ceased to be an entirely assembled car. A 12hp and a 14hp Lea Francis car were available, with cubic capacities of 1½ and 1.6-litres. Both had a 4-speed synchromesh gearbox. A sports version of the 1½-litre Lea Francis car was also sold, thus maintaining the old tradition. These two ‘Leafs’ were good cars, and as they were new, up-to-date Lea Francis carmodels, they could be continued after World War 2. Most of those built in this period were Lea Francis Fourteens, which were heavier but had a bigger bore and a capacity of 1.8-litres. A tuned sports Lea Francis car of the 14hp arrived for 1948. At the end of that year, an export version of the 14hp Lea Francis car, with torsion-bar independent front suspension, was shown and this suspension was adopted for both the 14hp and for the new 18hp, with a 2½-litre engine, in 1950. The sports model of the 18hp Lea Francis car was a fine car, with 100bhp available. The Lea Francis cars for 1953 had hydraulic brakes, but that was the last year in which the Lea Francis car appeared as a competitive production car. By mid-1952, output had fallen to six Lea Francis cars a week. An expensive car of specialist appeal, the post-war years were too hard for it. In 1960 a few prototypes of a new sports Lea Francis car, the Leaf-Lynx, were made, but it never reached production. The power unit of this Lea Francis car was a 2½-litre Ford Zephyr, there was independent front suspension and disc brakes were supplied, but the car was ill-favoured and ill received. No better luck attented the Lea Francis carfirm’s attempt to make the Nobel bubble-car.
Source: Georgano, encyclopedia of motorcar; TRN
The information is written with the greatest of care. However, if you have any suggested amendments please contact us at office@prewarcar.com


