The global magazine and marketplace for classic car enthusiasts, by enthusiasts.
The global magazine and marketplace for classic car enthusiasts, by enthusiasts.




August Horch was among the pioneers of car manufacture in Germany. He was employed as a an engineer with Benz from 1896 to 1899 when he started his own Horch car factory at Cologne. The first Horch car appeared in 1900. This Horch car had a 2-cylinder 5hp front-mounted engine and shaft drive. The next Horch models were a 2-cylinder 10/12hp and a 4-cylinder 16/20hp. After the Zwickau works had been set up in 1904 Horch was able to increase production. The Horch 18/22hp ohv 4-cylinder model of 1904 became very popular and was the basis for several subsequent Horch cars. A victory in the Herkomer Trial of 1906 was gained with this Horch car model, the first such success for a Horch. Horch also pioneered with his Horch Torpedo form aero-dynamic bodies for the Prince Henry Trials, which were built by Kathe of Halle. In 1906 a 6-cylinder 8-litre power unit was designed for Horch cars, developing 60bhp, but it was not a success and this was one cause of differences between Horch and his partners. Horch himself left the firm and started the Audi factory.
Various models with different engine sizes were included in the Horch car range, from the small Horch 6/18PS 1.588cc to the Horch 25/60PS 6.395cc. All Horch cars had 4-cylinder engines. After World War 1 the Horch 33/80PS 8.440cc model appeared, which had actually been designed in 1914. This Horch car started a series of prestige cars for which the make became famous in the following years. Paul Daimler (son of Gottlieb) was engaged as chief engineer in 1923. Ohc 4- and 6-cylinder Horch car models with fwb appeared in 1923/ 1924, but the first new Horch car under his management was the Horch 300 with a straight-8 3.230cc engine with twin overhead camshafts. In 1927 the ‘Horch 305’ and ‘Horch 306’ appeared, which also featured straight-8 engines, with twin overhead camshafts and a capacity of 3.375cc developing 75bhp. These Horch car models differed only in wheelbase. They were followed by the ‘Horch 375’ in 1928 with an 8-cylinder 3.974cc engine capable of 80bhp. After Daimler left Horch two more models (the Horch ‘400’ and ‘405’) were produced showing Daimler influence. The Horch 450 of 1930 was entirely new. This Horch car was straight-8 with only one overhead camshaft. Two different wheelbases and engines of 4, 4½ and 5 litres were available. The last of these stayed in the Horch car range until 1939, later Horch cars having 10-bearing crankshafts and all round independent suspension. Type numbers of Horch cars became a little confusing in the next few years, when some models were available with different wheelbases and engine capacities. A V12 with 5.990cc (Horch car models ‘600’ and ‘670’) appeared in 1931, followed by the V8 3.517cc ‘Horch 830B’ in 1933, available in two wheelbase and engine sizes. By 1939 the range consisted of the ‘Horch 930V’ and ‘Horch 830BL’(3.823cc, 92bhp) and the ‘Horch 951A’, ‘Horch 853A’ and ‘Horch 855’ (4.944cc, 120bhp). These Horch car models were available with different wheelbases and a variety of body styles from a two-seater roadster to a large Pullman saloon. The Horch car company was celebrated for luxurious ‘prestige’cars which were sold at lower prices than other top makes; a V8 cost £615 in England, and straight-8s from £985.
From 1932 Horch was a member of the Auto Union, and the racing cars bearing this name were built in the Horch car works. In 1945 the Horch car factory was nationalized and in 1956 it brought out a new Horch car. This had to be sold as the Sachsenring, as Auto Union, now based on Düsseldorf, hold the sole rights to the brand-names Horch, Audi and Wanderer.
Source: Georgano, encyclopedia of motorcar; HON
The information is written with the greatest of care. However, if you have any suggested amendments please contact us at office@prewarcar.com
Lea Francis started as bicycle manufacturers, like so many car makers, but unlike most of the rest, never went over permanently and consistently to Lea Francis cars. These Lea Francis cars appeared in fits and starts. The first appeared in 1904, in the shape of a 15hp Lea Francis car with a 3-cylinder horizontal engine, the oddest feature of which was its connecting rods over 3ft long. In the same year, however, Lea Francis stopped making their cars, and Singer the Cycle Company began building Lea Francis cars under licence and under the Singer name. R.H. Lea had in fact worked for Singer before branching out on his own. Thus began another famous car name. Lea Francis made motor cycles from 1911, and they concentrated on these until 1920. In that year two Lea Francis cars reappeared beside the motorcycles; assembled 4-cylinder touring Lea Francis cars of 11.9 and 13.9hp. Few of either were made. Then, late in 1922, the Lea Francis car company found its feet at last, with an equally conventional assembled light Lea Francis car. This Lea Francis car had a 1.074cc 4-cylinder sv engine of 8.9hp by Coventry-Simplex, replaced in the following year by a 10hp Meadows unit of 1¼ litres with overhead valves. A Lea Francis car with 7hp Bradshaw flat-twin engine came to nothing. There were 3 forward speeds and quarter-elliptic springs at both ends. The 10hp Lea Francis car was very popular, and was made until 1928. Like other Lea Francise cars to come, it was well made, dependable, and lively. The great moment came for the Lea Francis cars in the very important RAC Small Car Trials of 1924, in which the Lea Francis car made the best all-round performance. During 1925 a wider family market was sought with the 12/22hp J-type Lea Francis car. This Lea Francis car had a longer wheelbase, allowing more spacious bodies, front-wheel brakes, a 1½-litre 4EC Meadows engine to cope with the weight and a 4-speed gearbox. For the sake of comfort, semi-elliptic springs were substituted at the rear on the P-type Lea Francis car introduced for 1928, which also had a plate clutch and 4ED meadows engine.
The Lea Francis car firm’s first serious sports car was the L-type with 4ED engine, announced for 1925. The Lea Francis 12/40hp was one of the best assembled cars in Britain, and appealed more widely than the light Lea Francis cars. It was, indeed, current until the second cessation of car production in 1935. However, Lea Francis also made some more ponderous, less lively Lea Francis cars, without the same degree of success. From 1925 until 1929, the Lea Francis range duplicated some of the heavy 6-cylinder machines offered by Vulcan of Southport, with whom Lea Francis cars had been associated since 1922. The 18hp Lea Francis car was a 2¼-litre car with cantilever rear springs and overhead worm drive. This Lea Francis car was succeeded by A.O. Lord’s Type T, with its advanced but unreliable Lea Francis LFS-type, double ohc engine of 1.7-litres. There was also, in 1928, a 2-litre six Lea Francis car. These Vulcan/ Lea Francis cars ended with the demise of the Vulcan. However, an excellent Lea Francis car with a six was at last introduced for 1931: the Lea Francis Ace of Spades model, with their own 2-litre, single ohc engine. This Lea Francis car continued alongside the old 12/40hp until 1935, together with a new 18hp Lea Francis car, which was a 2¼-litre enlargement of the Lea Francis Ace of Spades. However, a really powerful Lea Francis car was also listed from 1928. This Lea Francis Hyper Sports was a quite different car, with its heavily-modified, Cozette-supercharged Meadows 1½-litre engine, low build and raked radiator. The sports-racing two-seater Lea Francis car could attain 90mph, though a coupé and a short open tourer could also be had by those who did not intend to enter competitions. The Lea Francis Hyper Sports won the 1928 Ulster Trophy race.
A new company introduced two entirely new Lea Francis cars for 1938. These Lea Francis cars were designed by Hugh Rose, who had been responsible for the Riley Nine engine and, like the Riley, had 4-cylinder power units with push-rod overhead valves operated by two high camshafts. The Lea Francis car had ceased to be an entirely assembled car. A 12hp and a 14hp Lea Francis car were available, with cubic capacities of 1½ and 1.6-litres. Both had a 4-speed synchromesh gearbox. A sports version of the 1½-litre Lea Francis car was also sold, thus maintaining the old tradition. These two ‘Leafs’ were good cars, and as they were new, up-to-date Lea Francis carmodels, they could be continued after World War 2. Most of those built in this period were Lea Francis Fourteens, which were heavier but had a bigger bore and a capacity of 1.8-litres. A tuned sports Lea Francis car of the 14hp arrived for 1948. At the end of that year, an export version of the 14hp Lea Francis car, with torsion-bar independent front suspension, was shown and this suspension was adopted for both the 14hp and for the new 18hp, with a 2½-litre engine, in 1950. The sports model of the 18hp Lea Francis car was a fine car, with 100bhp available. The Lea Francis cars for 1953 had hydraulic brakes, but that was the last year in which the Lea Francis car appeared as a competitive production car. By mid-1952, output had fallen to six Lea Francis cars a week. An expensive car of specialist appeal, the post-war years were too hard for it. In 1960 a few prototypes of a new sports Lea Francis car, the Leaf-Lynx, were made, but it never reached production. The power unit of this Lea Francis car was a 2½-litre Ford Zephyr, there was independent front suspension and disc brakes were supplied, but the car was ill-favoured and ill received. No better luck attented the Lea Francis carfirm’s attempt to make the Nobel bubble-car.
Source: Georgano, encyclopedia of motorcar; TRN
The information is written with the greatest of care. However, if you have any suggested amendments please contact us at office@prewarcar.com

