The global magazine and marketplace for classic car enthusiasts, by enthusiasts.
The global magazine and marketplace for classic car enthusiasts, by enthusiasts.

Cesare Isotta and Vincenzo Fraschini went into partnership in 1899, importing French cars (Mors, Renault) and proprietary engines (Aster); when their company was floated a year later the first Isotta Fraschini cars to bear their names were thinly disguised Renaults with shaft drive and 5hp single-cylinder Aster power units. A 12hp twin Isotta Fraschini car appeared in 1902, but the first wholly Italian designed Isotta Fraschini cars were not seen until 1903. These new Isotta Fraschini cars followed the fashionable Mercédès idiom with pair-cast 4-cylinder engines, side valves in a T-head, low tension magneto ignition, 4-speed gearboxes and side-chain drive. Initially three Isotta Fraschini carmodels were listed – a 4.180cc Isotta Fraschini 12, a 5.426cc Isotta Fraschini 16 and a 7.433cc Isotta Fraschini 24 – and there were few major changes until 1908, though foot accelerators and high tension ignition came in 1906 on Isotta Fraschini cars, and compressed-air starters were offered briefly in 1907, when the largest Isotta Fraschini carcar in the catalogue was the 11.3-litre Isotta Fraschini Tipo C.
Like FIAT and Itala, theIsotta Fraschini carfirm was quick to recognize the prestige value of racing: in 1905 they built an unsuccessful 17.2-litre machine with gear-driven ohc; in 1907 Minoia won the Coppa Florio with a Isotta Fraschini car; and in 1908 Trucco won the Targa Florio. The last year brought numerous successes in the USA, where 40 Isotta Fraschini cars were sold. By 1906 Isotta Fraschini were Italy’s second-ranking manufacturers, after FIAT, but they were hard hit by the Agadir Crisis, and in 1907 there was a successful takeover bid by Lorraine-Dietrich of France, whose intention it was to integrate the Milan Isotta Fraschini car-factory into their organization. By 1909, however, Isotta Fraschini were independent again and had sold a manufacturing licence to Praga in Prague.
A novelty in 1908 was a 1.327cc racing voiturette with ohc 4-cylinder monobloc engine said to run up to 3.500rpm; this Isotta Fraschini car went into limited production as the FENC type. More important, a successful uncoupled 4-wheel braking system was evolved by Oreste Fraschini and Giustino Cattaneo (who had joined theIsotta Fraschini car firm in 1905 and was to be responsible for all Isotta Fraschini cars up to 1935). This was available on production Isotta Fraschini cars by 1911, and three years later was standardized on the larger Isotta Fraschini cars. The 1909 range included a modern sv monobloc four, the ENC, available in 2.1-litre and 2.2-litre forms, though the old combination of T-head engine and chain drive persisted until 1913. The smaller Isotta Fraschini cars of 1914 closely paralleled the offerings of FIAT and Itala, coming in 2.3-litre, 3-litre and 4.4-litre sizes, with monobloc engines, 4-speed gearboxes, and optional electrics. However, for the enthusiast the Isotta Fraschini car company offered some 16-valve ohc sports cars with 4-wheel brakes and chain drive – the 6.2-litre Isotta Fraschini TM and the 10.6-litre Isotta Fraschini KM. The latter boasted dual magneto ignition, could be had with pear-shaped or V-radiator, and this Isotta Fraschini car was capable of 85-90mph on 140bhp. A Isotta Fraschini car with 130bhp 7.2-litre engine was raced unsuccessfully at Indianapolis in 1913, and there was also a shaft-driven variant of the TM, designated the Isotta Fraschini TC.
After World War 1 Cattaneo switched to a one-model Isotta Fraschini car programme with the Isotta Fraschini Tipo 8, a 5.880cc 9-bearing pushrod ohv straight-8 with alloy block, magneto ignition, 3-speed unit gearbox, central ball change, multi-plate clutch, semi-elliptic springing, and coupled 4-wheel brakes. Output was 80bhp at a low 2.200rpm, and the Isotta Fraschini car was conceived from the start as a chauffeur-driven carriage – hence the ponderous handling that attracted unfavourable comparisons with the contemporary 32CV Hispano-Suiza. Most straight-8s were exported: of 1.370 delivered Isotta Fraschini cars between 1919 and 1935 about 450 went to the United States and there were agencies in eight foreign capitals. In 1925 the Isotta Fraschini Tipo 8 gave way to the 7.4-litre Isotta Fraschini 8A with servo brakes, higher gear ratios, and an output of 110 – 120bhp; the 135 bhp Isotta Fraschini 8ASS sports version was said to do 104mph. By 1929 a Isotta Fraschini carlimousine cost £2.900 in London or $22.750 in New York. Two years later came the last of Isotta Fraschini car with a straight-8, the Isotta Fraschini 8B. This had a redesigned engine capable of 3.000rpm, coil ignition, and a stiffer and deeper frame; from 1932 Isotta Fraschini car was available with a 4-speed preselective gearbox, a conversion initiated by Antione Lago, then the Isotta Fraschini company London agent. In 1934 a 4-speed synchromesh box was offered, but by now sales were down to a trickle (only 25-30 8Bs were made all told, as against 950 8As) and the Isotta Fraschini car company, after unsuccessful negotiations for a merger with Henry Ford, elected to concentrate on aero engines. In 1936 Isotta Fraschini joined the Caproni organization, and their only roadgoing products were diesel trucks made under MAN-licence.
There was a final comeback of Isotta Fraschini cars in 1947 with the Rapi-designed 8C Monterosa – Isotta Fraschini never marketed a six. This Isotta Fraschini car had a 90 degrees ohc V8 engine mounted at the rear of a platform chassis, with independent front suspension by rubber in compression and swing-axle rear suspension. The 5-speed all-synchromesh gearbox incorporated an overdrive top, brakes were hydraulic, and a curious feature was an ignition warning light that went out in the event of trouble. Various cylinder capacities were tried: the 1947 Paris Salon Isotta Fraschini car had a 3.4-litre unit, but production models were to have had 2.544cc engines. Prototype Isotta Fraschini cars wore aerodynamic convertible and closed coachwork by Touring of Milan, but less than 20 Isotta Fraschini 8Cs had been built when the factory was shut down by order of the Italian government. The name Isotta Fraschini was acquired by the Breda armaments firm, who attempted a revival of the diesel commercial vehicle range as late as 1958
Source: Georgano, encyclopedia of motorcar; MCS
The information is written with the greatest of care. However, if you have any suggested amendments please contact us at office@prewarcar.com
Lea Francis started as bicycle manufacturers, like so many car makers, but unlike most of the rest, never went over permanently and consistently to Lea Francis cars. These Lea Francis cars appeared in fits and starts. The first appeared in 1904, in the shape of a 15hp Lea Francis car with a 3-cylinder horizontal engine, the oddest feature of which was its connecting rods over 3ft long. In the same year, however, Lea Francis stopped making their cars, and Singer the Cycle Company began building Lea Francis cars under licence and under the Singer name. R.H. Lea had in fact worked for Singer before branching out on his own. Thus began another famous car name. Lea Francis made motor cycles from 1911, and they concentrated on these until 1920. In that year two Lea Francis cars reappeared beside the motorcycles; assembled 4-cylinder touring Lea Francis cars of 11.9 and 13.9hp. Few of either were made. Then, late in 1922, the Lea Francis car company found its feet at last, with an equally conventional assembled light Lea Francis car. This Lea Francis car had a 1.074cc 4-cylinder sv engine of 8.9hp by Coventry-Simplex, replaced in the following year by a 10hp Meadows unit of 1¼ litres with overhead valves. A Lea Francis car with 7hp Bradshaw flat-twin engine came to nothing. There were 3 forward speeds and quarter-elliptic springs at both ends. The 10hp Lea Francis car was very popular, and was made until 1928. Like other Lea Francise cars to come, it was well made, dependable, and lively. The great moment came for the Lea Francis cars in the very important RAC Small Car Trials of 1924, in which the Lea Francis car made the best all-round performance. During 1925 a wider family market was sought with the 12/22hp J-type Lea Francis car. This Lea Francis car had a longer wheelbase, allowing more spacious bodies, front-wheel brakes, a 1½-litre 4EC Meadows engine to cope with the weight and a 4-speed gearbox. For the sake of comfort, semi-elliptic springs were substituted at the rear on the P-type Lea Francis car introduced for 1928, which also had a plate clutch and 4ED meadows engine.
The Lea Francis car firm’s first serious sports car was the L-type with 4ED engine, announced for 1925. The Lea Francis 12/40hp was one of the best assembled cars in Britain, and appealed more widely than the light Lea Francis cars. It was, indeed, current until the second cessation of car production in 1935. However, Lea Francis also made some more ponderous, less lively Lea Francis cars, without the same degree of success. From 1925 until 1929, the Lea Francis range duplicated some of the heavy 6-cylinder machines offered by Vulcan of Southport, with whom Lea Francis cars had been associated since 1922. The 18hp Lea Francis car was a 2¼-litre car with cantilever rear springs and overhead worm drive. This Lea Francis car was succeeded by A.O. Lord’s Type T, with its advanced but unreliable Lea Francis LFS-type, double ohc engine of 1.7-litres. There was also, in 1928, a 2-litre six Lea Francis car. These Vulcan/ Lea Francis cars ended with the demise of the Vulcan. However, an excellent Lea Francis car with a six was at last introduced for 1931: the Lea Francis Ace of Spades model, with their own 2-litre, single ohc engine. This Lea Francis car continued alongside the old 12/40hp until 1935, together with a new 18hp Lea Francis car, which was a 2¼-litre enlargement of the Lea Francis Ace of Spades. However, a really powerful Lea Francis car was also listed from 1928. This Lea Francis Hyper Sports was a quite different car, with its heavily-modified, Cozette-supercharged Meadows 1½-litre engine, low build and raked radiator. The sports-racing two-seater Lea Francis car could attain 90mph, though a coupé and a short open tourer could also be had by those who did not intend to enter competitions. The Lea Francis Hyper Sports won the 1928 Ulster Trophy race.
A new company introduced two entirely new Lea Francis cars for 1938. These Lea Francis cars were designed by Hugh Rose, who had been responsible for the Riley Nine engine and, like the Riley, had 4-cylinder power units with push-rod overhead valves operated by two high camshafts. The Lea Francis car had ceased to be an entirely assembled car. A 12hp and a 14hp Lea Francis car were available, with cubic capacities of 1½ and 1.6-litres. Both had a 4-speed synchromesh gearbox. A sports version of the 1½-litre Lea Francis car was also sold, thus maintaining the old tradition. These two ‘Leafs’ were good cars, and as they were new, up-to-date Lea Francis carmodels, they could be continued after World War 2. Most of those built in this period were Lea Francis Fourteens, which were heavier but had a bigger bore and a capacity of 1.8-litres. A tuned sports Lea Francis car of the 14hp arrived for 1948. At the end of that year, an export version of the 14hp Lea Francis car, with torsion-bar independent front suspension, was shown and this suspension was adopted for both the 14hp and for the new 18hp, with a 2½-litre engine, in 1950. The sports model of the 18hp Lea Francis car was a fine car, with 100bhp available. The Lea Francis cars for 1953 had hydraulic brakes, but that was the last year in which the Lea Francis car appeared as a competitive production car. By mid-1952, output had fallen to six Lea Francis cars a week. An expensive car of specialist appeal, the post-war years were too hard for it. In 1960 a few prototypes of a new sports Lea Francis car, the Leaf-Lynx, were made, but it never reached production. The power unit of this Lea Francis car was a 2½-litre Ford Zephyr, there was independent front suspension and disc brakes were supplied, but the car was ill-favoured and ill received. No better luck attented the Lea Francis carfirm’s attempt to make the Nobel bubble-car.
Source: Georgano, encyclopedia of motorcar; TRN
The information is written with the greatest of care. However, if you have any suggested amendments please contact us at office@prewarcar.com

