The global magazine and marketplace for classic car enthusiasts, by enthusiasts.
The global magazine and marketplace for classic car enthusiasts, by enthusiasts.


Lea Francis started as bicycle manufacturers, like so many car makers, but unlike most of the rest, never went over permanently and consistently to Lea Francis cars. These Lea Francis cars appeared in fits and starts. The first appeared in 1904, in the shape of a 15hp Lea Francis car with a 3-cylinder horizontal engine, the oddest feature of which was its connecting rods over 3ft long. In the same year, however, Lea Francis stopped making their cars, and Singer the Cycle Company began building Lea Francis cars under licence and under the Singer name. R.H. Lea had in fact worked for Singer before branching out on his own. Thus began another famous car name. Lea Francis made motor cycles from 1911, and they concentrated on these until 1920. In that year two Lea Francis cars reappeared beside the motorcycles; assembled 4-cylinder touring Lea Francis cars of 11.9 and 13.9hp. Few of either were made. Then, late in 1922, the Lea Francis car company found its feet at last, with an equally conventional assembled light Lea Francis car. This Lea Francis car had a 1.074cc 4-cylinder sv engine of 8.9hp by Coventry-Simplex, replaced in the following year by a 10hp Meadows unit of 1¼ litres with overhead valves. A Lea Francis car with 7hp Bradshaw flat-twin engine came to nothing. There were 3 forward speeds and quarter-elliptic springs at both ends. The 10hp Lea Francis car was very popular, and was made until 1928. Like other Lea Francise cars to come, it was well made, dependable, and lively. The great moment came for the Lea Francis cars in the very important RAC Small Car Trials of 1924, in which the Lea Francis car made the best all-round performance. During 1925 a wider family market was sought with the 12/22hp J-type Lea Francis car. This Lea Francis car had a longer wheelbase, allowing more spacious bodies, front-wheel brakes, a 1½-litre 4EC Meadows engine to cope with the weight and a 4-speed gearbox. For the sake of comfort, semi-elliptic springs were substituted at the rear on the P-type Lea Francis car introduced for 1928, which also had a plate clutch and 4ED meadows engine.
The Lea Francis car firm’s first serious sports car was the L-type with 4ED engine, announced for 1925. The Lea Francis 12/40hp was one of the best assembled cars in Britain, and appealed more widely than the light Lea Francis cars. It was, indeed, current until the second cessation of car production in 1935. However, Lea Francis also made some more ponderous, less lively Lea Francis cars, without the same degree of success. From 1925 until 1929, the Lea Francis range duplicated some of the heavy 6-cylinder machines offered by Vulcan of Southport, with whom Lea Francis cars had been associated since 1922. The 18hp Lea Francis car was a 2¼-litre car with cantilever rear springs and overhead worm drive. This Lea Francis car was succeeded by A.O. Lord’s Type T, with its advanced but unreliable Lea Francis LFS-type, double ohc engine of 1.7-litres. There was also, in 1928, a 2-litre six Lea Francis car. These Vulcan/ Lea Francis cars ended with the demise of the Vulcan. However, an excellent Lea Francis car with a six was at last introduced for 1931: the Lea Francis Ace of Spades model, with their own 2-litre, single ohc engine. This Lea Francis car continued alongside the old 12/40hp until 1935, together with a new 18hp Lea Francis car, which was a 2¼-litre enlargement of the Lea Francis Ace of Spades. However, a really powerful Lea Francis car was also listed from 1928. This Lea Francis Hyper Sports was a quite different car, with its heavily-modified, Cozette-supercharged Meadows 1½-litre engine, low build and raked radiator. The sports-racing two-seater Lea Francis car could attain 90mph, though a coupé and a short open tourer could also be had by those who did not intend to enter competitions. The Lea Francis Hyper Sports won the 1928 Ulster Trophy race.
A new company introduced two entirely new Lea Francis cars for 1938. These Lea Francis cars were designed by Hugh Rose, who had been responsible for the Riley Nine engine and, like the Riley, had 4-cylinder power units with push-rod overhead valves operated by two high camshafts. The Lea Francis car had ceased to be an entirely assembled car. A 12hp and a 14hp Lea Francis car were available, with cubic capacities of 1½ and 1.6-litres. Both had a 4-speed synchromesh gearbox. A sports version of the 1½-litre Lea Francis car was also sold, thus maintaining the old tradition. These two ‘Leafs’ were good cars, and as they were new, up-to-date Lea Francis carmodels, they could be continued after World War 2. Most of those built in this period were Lea Francis Fourteens, which were heavier but had a bigger bore and a capacity of 1.8-litres. A tuned sports Lea Francis car of the 14hp arrived for 1948. At the end of that year, an export version of the 14hp Lea Francis car, with torsion-bar independent front suspension, was shown and this suspension was adopted for both the 14hp and for the new 18hp, with a 2½-litre engine, in 1950. The sports model of the 18hp Lea Francis car was a fine car, with 100bhp available. The Lea Francis cars for 1953 had hydraulic brakes, but that was the last year in which the Lea Francis car appeared as a competitive production car. By mid-1952, output had fallen to six Lea Francis cars a week. An expensive car of specialist appeal, the post-war years were too hard for it. In 1960 a few prototypes of a new sports Lea Francis car, the Leaf-Lynx, were made, but it never reached production. The power unit of this Lea Francis car was a 2½-litre Ford Zephyr, there was independent front suspension and disc brakes were supplied, but the car was ill-favoured and ill received. No better luck attented the Lea Francis carfirm’s attempt to make the Nobel bubble-car.
Source: Georgano, encyclopedia of motorcar; TRN
The information is written with the greatest of care. However, if you have any suggested amendments please contact us at office@prewarcar.com
Belgium’s greatest marque, the Minerva car, arose from humble beginnings – a bicycle factory opened in 1897 by Sylvain de Jong. He soon progressed to proprietary motorcycle engines (of which he became Europe’s leading supplier), and to complete motor-cycles in 1900, though a year earlier he had built a prototype voiturette and a primitive motor lorry. A 6hp 4-cylinder Minerva car on Panhard lines appeared in 1902, but serious Minerva car manufacture did not get under way until 1904. These early Minerva cars retained side-chain drive an armoured wood frames, but used mechanically-operated side valves in a T-head. The Minerva cars came in 1.6-litre 2-cylinder, 2.4-litre 3-cylinder and 3.2-litre 4-cylinder forms, and alongside them was an ingenious and successful cyclecar, the Minervette. Its 636cc single-cylinder engine was transversely mounted at the front, driving the offside rear wheel by chain via a 2-speed constant-mesh gearbox.. This little Minerva car cost only £106. A year later the Minerva car company had settle down to bevel-driving twins and fours, the latter being a 2.9-litre 14 with steel frame that was sold in London by the Hon C.S. Rolls.
The almost mandatory petrol brougham for Minerva cars came in 1906, but more successful were a 3.6-litre Minerva 22 and a rapid 6.2-litre six Minerva car introduced in 1907. This Minerva car had gate change, and its engine developed 6-bhp. Even faster were the Minerva carfirm’s 8-litre Kaiserpreis Minerva cars with 5-bearing ioe engine and chain drive; Minerva cars failed in the German race but won the Belgian Circuit des Ardennes. In 1909 there was a Minerva L-head monobloc four of 2½-litres’ capacity, but at the same time the Minerva car company adopted the Knight double-sleeve-valve engine, and thereafter all catalogued Minerva cars used Knights.
Though inevitably emphasis now shifted to chauffeur-driven carraiges and silence, Minerva’s Knights were by no means lethargic, as witness outright victories in the Swedish Winter Trials of 1911, 1913 and 1914 by Minerva cars, and distinguished performances in the Austrian Alpine Trials. The 3.3-litre Minerva cars that ran in the 1914 TT were good for 85mph and the Minerva carteam finished intact, in 2nd, 3rd and 5th places. Their success is reflected in the phasing-out of the motorcycles after 1910, and in a clientele of Minerva cars that included Henry Ford as well as the Kings of Belgium, Sweden and Norway.
The 1910 Minerva cars were all fours: a 2.234cc monobloc Minerva 16hp, a 4¼-litre Minerva 26hp, and a large Minerva 38 of 6.3-litre capacity. Electric lighting was available in 1912 on Minerva cars, when Citroën-type helical bevel gears made their appearance; two years later starters were an option and wire wheels were standardized on Minerva car, and the Minerva car range extended from a modest 2.1-litre worm-drive monobloc Minerva 14 (which was popular as a taxi in Sweden) up to an enlarged 7.4-litre Minerva 38.
De Jong was quick to set Minerva cars on their feet after the German occupation of 1914-1918, and by 1920 they were back in production with two Minerva cars, a 3.6-litre 4-cylinder Minerva 20 and a 6-cylinder 30CV of 5.344cc, both with monobloc engines, vacuum feed, cone clutches, 4-speed gearboxes, cantilever rear springing and rear-wheel and transmission brakes, though plate clutches were standardized Minerva cars after 1921. Minerva cars, like Daimler, made their own bodies, a new coachworks being opened at Mortsel, an Antwerp suburb, in 1922; the Minerva carcompany also supplied engines to other firms, among them Mors and the curious Anglo-American Crown Magnetic. (Émile Mathis’s 1913 sleeve-valve cars had been Minerva cars with Mathis radiators). Smaller Minerva cars followed: a 15CV 2-litre four in 1922, and a 20CV six of 3.4-litre capacity in 1923, this Minerva car having 4-wheel brakes as standard, and a wheelbase of nearly 12 feet. In 1925, 2.500 Minerva cars found buyers, and a year later all Minerva cars had 4-wheel brakes, with some necessary Dewandre servo assistance on the big ones. The 1927 Minerva carrange included a replacement for the 30CV, the magnificent 5.954cc Minerva AK six with alloy pistons, light steel sleeves, and a 12ft 5½in wheelbase. There was, however, a new small 6-cylinder Minerva car, the 2-litre Minerva 12-14CV; this came with a 3-speed unit gearbox, central ball change, and lhd, and sold for under £500 in England. This Minerva car was made until 1933.
The carriage trade was not forgotten, for there were three new big cars in 1930: a 150bhp sports edition of the Minerva AK with full-pressure lubrication, and two straight-8s. Of these the 6.6-litre Minerva AL was a vast 9-bearing affair with dual ignition and right-hand change, whereas its 4-litre companion, the 22CV Minerva AP, had coil ignition and central change, and could be bought for less than £900. In 1932 there was a 20CV six Minerva car with the same specification and cylinder dimensions of 75x112mm. However, none of these Minerva cars was suitable for the prevailing economic climate, and 1934 brought what was effectively the Minerva car company’s last model, the 2-litre Minerva M4, Minerva cars first four since 1927. The sleeve-valve engine was retained, but in other respects it was typical of the prevailing idiom, with 3-speed synchromesh gearbox, mechanical brakes and pillarless saloon bodywork.
The Minerva M4 was not a success and in October 1935 Minerva cars merged with the only other Belgian factory still making private cars, Imperia of Nessonvaux. The traditional Minerva cars were continued for another season, and the Minerva AP survived until 1938, but thereafter the only cars sold to the public under the Minerva car name were some fwd Imperias exported to France. Purely experimental was an astonishing Minerva car exhibited at the 1937 Brussels Salon. This featured all-independent springing by torsion bars, and a transversely-mounted 3.6-litre Ford V8 engine drove the front wheels via a torque converter. Only three prototypes were made.
In 1952 a comeback was planned with two Minerva car-models, both of foreign design. The smaller car was based on the 1947 Cemsa-Caproni, and the new luxury Minerva car was to use the mechanical elements of the Armstrong Siddeley Sapphire, but neither materialized. The last Minerva car was a jeep-type 4x4, the C20 of 1956. This Minerva car was powered by a 4-cylinder sv Continental engine.
Source: Georgano, encyclopedia of motorcar; MCS
The information is written with the greatest of care. However, if you have any suggested amendments please contact us at office@prewarcar.com


