The global magazine and marketplace for classic car enthusiasts, by enthusiasts.
The global magazine and marketplace for classic car enthusiasts, by enthusiasts.










The brothers J.W. and W.D. Packard bought a Winton in 1898 and determined to improve upon it. The result was the first 12hp Packard car of 1899. This Packard car followed traditional early-American lines with a single horizontal cylinder, central chain drive, buggy styling and wire wheels, but the Packard car was more advanced than its competitors in having a 3-speed and reverse gearbox and automatic spark advance. This gave way to the wheel-steered Model C Packard car, which proved capable of 40mph. An even more powerful Packard car, a single old for $3.000 in 1903 and on one of these Fetch and Krarup Packard cars successfully drove from San Francisco to New York in 61 days. In the same year a very big Packard car four of over 12 litres’ capacity was designed on European lines by Charles Schmidt, late of Mors. This Packard car sold for $7.500 and led to the famous Packard Model L, the first Packard car to bear the classic Packard radiator. This Packard car had side valves in an L-head and the gearbox was mounted in unit with the back axle; a similar engine was used in the racing car Gray Wolf, a streamlined lightweight Packard car capable of 75mph. 1906 Packard cars had T-head engines and magneto ignition in place of coil; engine capacity was 5¾-litres, increasing to 7-litres Packard cars in 1907 with the introduction of the famous ‘Packard 30’, from which 60bhp was claimed. For the next few years these high-quality four-cylinder Packard cars engaged all Packard’s attentions, the ‘Packard 30’ at $4.200 being joined by a short-wheelbase Packard 18 intended for use as a town carriage. Dry-plate clutches were adopted on Packard cars in 1910 and in 1911 a third model joined the range: Packard cars first six, the 7¼-litre ‘Packard48’.
Six-cylinder Packard cars only were offered in 1913, when electric lighting and starting were standardized. Spiral bevel final drive followed in 1914. Revolutionary was the world’s first series-production 12-cylinder, the Packard Twin-Six, which Packard car was announced in 1915 for 1916: this Packard car was also the first American touring car to use aluminium pistons and was quite modestly priced at $2.600. First series Packard cars had the unusual combination of left-hand drive and left-hand gear-change, abandoned on later series Packard car which also had detachable cylinder heads. A special racing car version of the Packard car, the 905 with a much bigger engine, recorded 149.9mph in the hands of Ralph de Palma at Daytona in 1919. From 1916 to 1920 only the Packard Twin Six was made, but this Packard car was then joined by a straightforward sv Single-Six selling from $2.350 up. This Packard car was given front-wheel brakes as standard replaced the Packard Twin-six during 1923; the Packard car came in two wheelbase lengths. A tourer Packard car cost $3.750 and it was the ancestor of the whole line of ‘Senior’ Packard cars up to 1939. 1925 Packard cars had centralized chassis lubrication and over 40.000 sixes were sold, as against less than 5.700 eights. Innovations on Packard cars for 1927 were a hypoid back axle, and a bigger 8-cylinder engine of 6.3-litres’ capacity, developing 106bhp. Only eight-cylinder Packard car were made in 1929, in which year a 5.3-litre Standard model was catalogued at $2.435, while in 1930 a limited series of ‘Packard 734’ sports models with high axle ratio, 145 bhp engines and 4-speed gearboxes was introduced. 1932 Packard cars had V-radiators. An inexpensive Packard Light 8 at $1.750, using the 5.3-litre engine, proved uneconomic to make, but there was also an excellent 7-litre V12 and all Packard cars had synchromesh gearboxes and vacuum-servo brakes. The Packard car company’s styling with its traditional radiator shape continued up to 1939.
In 1935 the Packard car company made a bid for the low-priced market with the 3.7-litre straight-8 ‘Packard 120’ with hydraulic brakes and independent front suspension, priced from $980, as against $2.475 for the Packard Standard-eight, $2.990 for the Packard Super-eight and $3.820 for the Twelve. The new Packard car model accounted for 24.995 of the 31.889 cars sold by Packard cars that year and was joined two seasons later by a very similar 3.6-litre six, the ‘115’ at $860; this and the ‘120’, now enlarged to 4.6-litres, were made in a separate factory. In 1938, 50 percent of the Packard car company’s labour force was engaged in making the senior Packard cars which accounted for no more than 8 percent of total production.
In 1937 hydraulic brakes and independent front suspension were standardized on Packard cars throughout the range. 1939 was the last year of the true senior Packard cars; column change was introduced and overdrive was available on all Packard cars except the Twelve. Air conditioning was a 1940 option and 1941 brought the first of the handsome Packard Clipper line, made in 4-litre 6-cylinder and 4.6-litre straight-8 versions. Expensive Packard cars were still made, with custom bodywork by Rollson, Le Baron and Darrin available on the 5.8-litre chassis. During World War 2, body dies for the bigger, conventionally-bodied Packard cars were sold to the Soviet Government, the result being the 1945 Z.I.S.
Production of Packard cars was resumed with the Clipper 6 and 8 in 1946, but Packard never regained their former pre-eminence. Styling was unfortunate and the Packard car company retained the old straight-8 until 1954, though they evolved their own ‘Ultramatic’ automatic transmission in 1949 and had power brakes, steering and window lifts in 1954. Super-luxury Packard cars included the eight-seater Executive limousine at $6.900 in 1953 and the big Caribbean convertible.
The 1954 merger of Packard cars with Studebaker brought about a new 260bhp, ohv V8 with an ingenious inter-linked torsion-level suspension, while engines were sold to American Motors for their Nash and Hudson lines. Sales fell to a depressing 13.000 in 1956 and though the Packard lingered on until 1958, the last two seasons’ cars were nothing more than disguised Studebakers.
Source: Georgano, encyclopedia of motorcar; MCS
The information is written with the greatest of care. However, if you have any suggested amendments please contact us at office@prewarcar.com
Lea Francis started as bicycle manufacturers, like so many car makers, but unlike most of the rest, never went over permanently and consistently to Lea Francis cars. These Lea Francis cars appeared in fits and starts. The first appeared in 1904, in the shape of a 15hp Lea Francis car with a 3-cylinder horizontal engine, the oddest feature of which was its connecting rods over 3ft long. In the same year, however, Lea Francis stopped making their cars, and Singer the Cycle Company began building Lea Francis cars under licence and under the Singer name. R.H. Lea had in fact worked for Singer before branching out on his own. Thus began another famous car name. Lea Francis made motor cycles from 1911, and they concentrated on these until 1920. In that year two Lea Francis cars reappeared beside the motorcycles; assembled 4-cylinder touring Lea Francis cars of 11.9 and 13.9hp. Few of either were made. Then, late in 1922, the Lea Francis car company found its feet at last, with an equally conventional assembled light Lea Francis car. This Lea Francis car had a 1.074cc 4-cylinder sv engine of 8.9hp by Coventry-Simplex, replaced in the following year by a 10hp Meadows unit of 1¼ litres with overhead valves. A Lea Francis car with 7hp Bradshaw flat-twin engine came to nothing. There were 3 forward speeds and quarter-elliptic springs at both ends. The 10hp Lea Francis car was very popular, and was made until 1928. Like other Lea Francise cars to come, it was well made, dependable, and lively. The great moment came for the Lea Francis cars in the very important RAC Small Car Trials of 1924, in which the Lea Francis car made the best all-round performance. During 1925 a wider family market was sought with the 12/22hp J-type Lea Francis car. This Lea Francis car had a longer wheelbase, allowing more spacious bodies, front-wheel brakes, a 1½-litre 4EC Meadows engine to cope with the weight and a 4-speed gearbox. For the sake of comfort, semi-elliptic springs were substituted at the rear on the P-type Lea Francis car introduced for 1928, which also had a plate clutch and 4ED meadows engine.
The Lea Francis car firm’s first serious sports car was the L-type with 4ED engine, announced for 1925. The Lea Francis 12/40hp was one of the best assembled cars in Britain, and appealed more widely than the light Lea Francis cars. It was, indeed, current until the second cessation of car production in 1935. However, Lea Francis also made some more ponderous, less lively Lea Francis cars, without the same degree of success. From 1925 until 1929, the Lea Francis range duplicated some of the heavy 6-cylinder machines offered by Vulcan of Southport, with whom Lea Francis cars had been associated since 1922. The 18hp Lea Francis car was a 2¼-litre car with cantilever rear springs and overhead worm drive. This Lea Francis car was succeeded by A.O. Lord’s Type T, with its advanced but unreliable Lea Francis LFS-type, double ohc engine of 1.7-litres. There was also, in 1928, a 2-litre six Lea Francis car. These Vulcan/ Lea Francis cars ended with the demise of the Vulcan. However, an excellent Lea Francis car with a six was at last introduced for 1931: the Lea Francis Ace of Spades model, with their own 2-litre, single ohc engine. This Lea Francis car continued alongside the old 12/40hp until 1935, together with a new 18hp Lea Francis car, which was a 2¼-litre enlargement of the Lea Francis Ace of Spades. However, a really powerful Lea Francis car was also listed from 1928. This Lea Francis Hyper Sports was a quite different car, with its heavily-modified, Cozette-supercharged Meadows 1½-litre engine, low build and raked radiator. The sports-racing two-seater Lea Francis car could attain 90mph, though a coupé and a short open tourer could also be had by those who did not intend to enter competitions. The Lea Francis Hyper Sports won the 1928 Ulster Trophy race.
A new company introduced two entirely new Lea Francis cars for 1938. These Lea Francis cars were designed by Hugh Rose, who had been responsible for the Riley Nine engine and, like the Riley, had 4-cylinder power units with push-rod overhead valves operated by two high camshafts. The Lea Francis car had ceased to be an entirely assembled car. A 12hp and a 14hp Lea Francis car were available, with cubic capacities of 1½ and 1.6-litres. Both had a 4-speed synchromesh gearbox. A sports version of the 1½-litre Lea Francis car was also sold, thus maintaining the old tradition. These two ‘Leafs’ were good cars, and as they were new, up-to-date Lea Francis carmodels, they could be continued after World War 2. Most of those built in this period were Lea Francis Fourteens, which were heavier but had a bigger bore and a capacity of 1.8-litres. A tuned sports Lea Francis car of the 14hp arrived for 1948. At the end of that year, an export version of the 14hp Lea Francis car, with torsion-bar independent front suspension, was shown and this suspension was adopted for both the 14hp and for the new 18hp, with a 2½-litre engine, in 1950. The sports model of the 18hp Lea Francis car was a fine car, with 100bhp available. The Lea Francis cars for 1953 had hydraulic brakes, but that was the last year in which the Lea Francis car appeared as a competitive production car. By mid-1952, output had fallen to six Lea Francis cars a week. An expensive car of specialist appeal, the post-war years were too hard for it. In 1960 a few prototypes of a new sports Lea Francis car, the Leaf-Lynx, were made, but it never reached production. The power unit of this Lea Francis car was a 2½-litre Ford Zephyr, there was independent front suspension and disc brakes were supplied, but the car was ill-favoured and ill received. No better luck attented the Lea Francis carfirm’s attempt to make the Nobel bubble-car.
Source: Georgano, encyclopedia of motorcar; TRN
The information is written with the greatest of care. However, if you have any suggested amendments please contact us at office@prewarcar.com

