The global magazine and marketplace for classic car enthusiasts, by enthusiasts.
The global magazine and marketplace for classic car enthusiasts, by enthusiasts.



Mitchell and Lweis had been wagon builders since 1834, and their first Mitchell car was a light two-seater powered by a 7hp air-cooled 2-cylinder engine, using single chain drive, and priced at $1.200. In 1905 a 9hp engine was used on the Mitchell car, and air or water cooling was available. 4-cylinder engines of 18 and 30hp appeared in the 1906 Mitchell car range, and in 1907 shaft drive was employed on all Mitchell car models. Until 1910, 20 and 35hp fours were made, having pair-cast cylinders in 1910 when they were joined by a 50hp 6-cylinder Mitchell car. In 1913 a new range of T-head engines was introduced in a Mitchell car designed by René Petard and known as the ‘American-built French car’. A 40hp four and 50 and 60hp sixes were made in this Mitchell car range, which had high-cowled torpedo-style bodies and electric starters. Piston strokes were very long at 7 inches. At this time it was said that the Mitchell car company made 96% of all components. In 1916 a short-lived Mitchell 48hp V8 was made, and the following year the Mitchell car company settled down to making a range of conventional sixes of no great distinction. In 1920 a sloping radiator gave rise to the epithet, ‘the drunken Mitchell’ and this was hastily replaced by a vertical radiator for 1921. However, the company had lost a lot of money on their 1920 Mitchell car models, and few of the redesigned Mitchell cars were sold, as they lacked any distinctive qualities.
The 6-cylinder engines of the Mitchell car had acapacity of 4.7-litres. After production ceased in 1923, the Mitchell car factory was bought by Nash.
Source: Georgano, encyclopedia of motorcar; GNG
The information is written with the greatest of care. However, if you have any suggested amendments please contact us at office@prewarcar.com
Still active as a truck manufacturers within the Leyland Group, Albion was founded at the end of 1899 by T. Blackwood Murray and Norman Fulton, late of Arrol-Johnston and their early products were dogcarts with varnished-wood bodywork much in the Arrol-Johnston idiom, with 2-cylinder opposed-piston underfloor engines, low tension magneto ignition, and Murray’s patent governor. Wheel steering replaced the tiller in 1902, and a year later Albion began production of a 16hp vertical-twin which was made for many years, usually with solid tyres, and often with shooting-brake bodywork. ‘Cars for country houses’, especially Scottish ones, were a speciality of the house, though rather less rustic was a side-valve 5.6-litre chain-driven four introduced in 1906. This 24hp model had a seven-year production run. The last Albion passenger car was a 15hp Monobloc four with side valves in a T-head and worm drive, which sold for £475 in 1912. At the end of 1913 Albion elected to concentrade on commercial vehicles, though large shooting brakes using the 15hp engine continues to be made.
Source: Georgano, encyclopedia of motorcar; MCS
The information is written with the greatest of care. However, if you have any suggested amendments please contact us at office@prewarcar.com

