The global magazine and marketplace for classic car enthusiasts, by enthusiasts.
The global magazine and marketplace for classic car enthusiasts, by enthusiasts.


Mitchell and Lweis had been wagon builders since 1834, and their first Mitchell car was a light two-seater powered by a 7hp air-cooled 2-cylinder engine, using single chain drive, and priced at $1.200. In 1905 a 9hp engine was used on the Mitchell car, and air or water cooling was available. 4-cylinder engines of 18 and 30hp appeared in the 1906 Mitchell car range, and in 1907 shaft drive was employed on all Mitchell car models. Until 1910, 20 and 35hp fours were made, having pair-cast cylinders in 1910 when they were joined by a 50hp 6-cylinder Mitchell car. In 1913 a new range of T-head engines was introduced in a Mitchell car designed by René Petard and known as the ‘American-built French car’. A 40hp four and 50 and 60hp sixes were made in this Mitchell car range, which had high-cowled torpedo-style bodies and electric starters. Piston strokes were very long at 7 inches. At this time it was said that the Mitchell car company made 96% of all components. In 1916 a short-lived Mitchell 48hp V8 was made, and the following year the Mitchell car company settled down to making a range of conventional sixes of no great distinction. In 1920 a sloping radiator gave rise to the epithet, ‘the drunken Mitchell’ and this was hastily replaced by a vertical radiator for 1921. However, the company had lost a lot of money on their 1920 Mitchell car models, and few of the redesigned Mitchell cars were sold, as they lacked any distinctive qualities.
The 6-cylinder engines of the Mitchell car had acapacity of 4.7-litres. After production ceased in 1923, the Mitchell car factory was bought by Nash.
Source: Georgano, encyclopedia of motorcar; GNG
The information is written with the greatest of care. However, if you have any suggested amendments please contact us at office@prewarcar.com
Oscar Seyd’s firm never built a car, though some International car offerings were assembled in their Great Portland Street Showrooms and a certain amount of work was also undertaken at the service depot in Kilburn, where International cars had been operating since 1896. The original International-Benz was in fact a French-built Roger, a car which had become hard to sell in France; International added their own improvements to the International car, among them a reverse, a British-built version of the ‘Crypto’ gear and bodywork made to their order. Single- and twin-cylinder variations on the Benz theme were offered until 1901, later International car being German-built after the demise of M. Roger’s company. In 1899 International presented a ‘light two-seater racing car’ with wheel steering, a Benz-based 12hp with wheel steering, pneumatic tyres and double phaeton coachwork on the International car at £800, and a 9hp ‘vibrationless’ flat-twin (not on Benz lines) in addition to their regular range of International car. International cars became a limited liability company in 1900, when two Coventry firms, Payne and Bates (Godiva) and Allard, were approached to make a new design for the International car. The Payne and Bates-built International car(possibly the twin-cylinder Royal with steel frame and wheel steering, offered for £367 10s) proved unsatisfactory, but Allard’s effort, the International Charette, introduced in November 1900, sold in some numbers. This International Charette car was a belt-driven light car with front vertical 823cc engine of De Dion type (designed to run at only 1.000rpm), a coal-shovel shaped bonnet and rack-and-pinion steering. It sold for £165. Early International cars were rated at 5hp (later increased to 6hp) and there were 2-speed and 3-speed variants. All International Charette chassis were delivered to London under their own power. This type International car was not offered after 1903 and apart form the Mountaineer motorcycle, the later cars of the International company were of French origin. The International Armstrong (1902) was a single-cylinder 1.100cc machine with shaft drive on Renault lines and this gave way in 1903 to the Aster-engined Portlands, also shaft-driven and offered in a variety of sizes from a 6hp single at £205 up to a big 24hp 4-cylinder car with a 4-speed gearbox.
The smallest International car, the Portland was still available in 1904, but by this time the International car company was mainly concerned with importing the Diamant car. International were defunct by 1905.
This International car company showed a light car with a 2-stroke engine designed to run on paraffin at the Madison Square Garden show in 1900, but this International car did not go into production.
Source: Georgano, encyclopedia of motorcar; MCS, GNG
The information is written with the greatest of care. However, if you have any suggested amendments please contact us at office@prewarcar.com

