The global magazine and marketplace for classic car enthusiasts, by enthusiasts.
The global magazine and marketplace for classic car enthusiasts, by enthusiasts.









Ettore Bugatti was perhaps the greatest maker of racing cars until his fellow Italian Ferrari began to dominate the scene in recent years. Born into an artistic family in Milan, Bugatti soon found that the graphic arts were not to his liking and turned to the mechanical. Drawn by speed and racing, at the age of 18 Ettore Bugatti attracted attention in early motorcycle and tricycle races in Northern Italy, enevitably applying his mechanical talent to the improvement and alteration of the machines.
In 1900, at the age of 19 he embarked on the design and production of his own Bugatti 4-cylinder, 90 x 120mm car with the help of Count Gulinelli, and won a medal for it at the Milan Exhibition in 1901. Baron de Dietrich who was attracted by the Bugatti machine and who was searching Europe for designs to produce at his Niederbronn works, signed an agreement with Bugatti to design for him. Bugatti moved to Niederbronn in 1902 to produce in the next two or three years a basic design of 4-cylinder, 114 x 130mm chain-driven chassis with variations, sold commercially as the De Dietrich-Bugatti, or in England as the Burlington, and occasionally raced by Bugatti himself. Engine dimensions varied, as was customary in those days, and larger engines were also listed.
De Dietrich was offering other designs at the same time, particulary the Turcat-Méry, and Bugatti’s car was not a commercial success; the arrangement came to an end around 1904, and Bugatti teamed up with Mathis, moving to Strasbourg, the district where Ettore was to remain for the rest of his active career.
The Mathis collaboration produced the Hermes car, which bore a strong resemblance to the earlier De Dietrich design, certainly in conception – 4 large cylinders, 4-speed gearbox, chain drive, semi-elliptic springs – but by now it had a modern type of radiator with a surrounding shell to replace the earlier exposed film type.
In 1906 Bugatti and Mathis fell out and separated, Bugatti going to the Deutz factory at Cologne to design and produce cars for them. Two chassis were produced, the first another typical 4-cylinder layout with an engine of 145 or 150 x 150mm and chain drive, and later a smaller 92x120mm car with, for the first time Bugatti’s design, a shaft drive.
During this period (about 1908) Bugatti produced at his own expense (and, it is said, in the cellar of his home at Cologne) the miniature Bugatti chassis, with a 4-cylinder, 60x100mm engine, and shaft drive which founded the thoroughbred line of his designs and enabled him later to produce his own car. This prototype (Type 10 in the Bugatti series) is still in existence.
There is at least some evidence that the creation of this Bugatti car owes something to the 1908 Coupe des Voiturettes Isotta Fraschini; it is more than likely that Bugatti saw and was inspired by these beautiful little cars. There is certainly no evidence that the Isotta Fraschini cars owe anything to Bugatti, and their designer Cattaneo has denied the suggestion. The overall conceptual similarity is, however, striking.
Whatever the origins of his thoroughbred, Ettore Bugatti found a backer who would help him to start up production of his own car at the end of 1909, in a disused dye work at Molsheim a few miles west of Strasbourg. Here production was started of the real Bugatti car, with 4-cylinder, 65x100mm, 1327cc and 2 valves per cylinder operated from an overhead camshaft with curved, sliding tappets and three chassis lengths; Bugatti Type 13 with a 6ft 6¾in wheelbase,the Bugatti Type 15, 7ft 10½in, and the Bugatti Type 17, 8ft 4½in and reinforced back springs for heavy bodywork.
Output was a few cars in 1910, but the Bugatti car caused a great deal of favourable comment at the 1910 Paris Salon, and in the early speed events it was entered in; commercial success, in spite of a high price, came immediately and several hundred Bugatti cars had been produced by 1914. During this period Bugatti also sold a licence to Peugeot for an 850cc Baby car(Peugeot Bebe), and kept his interest in large cars by producing a few chassis with a 4-cylinder 5-litre (100x160mm) ohc engine and reverting again to chain drive, for racing. The first chassis went to the aviator Roland Garros and survives as the famous Bugatti Black Bess. Other Bugatti cars competed unsuccessfully at Indianapolis in the 500 mile race in 1914 and 1915.
The early Bugatti 8-valve chassis had conventional semi-elliptic springs and radiators of squarish, 5-sided shape. At the end of 1913, Bugatti introduced his reversed quarter elliptic springs on the two long-length chassis, probably to simplify the fitting of the body: many of Bugatti’s design features show more originality than essential logic. This springs feature was to remain on all Bugatti’s chassis designs produced afterwards. At this time Ettore also introduced his design of oval Bugatti radiator, pearshaped, but later more like an inverted horse shoe.
Just before World War 1 Ettore produced a modified engine for voiturette racing, with 4 valves per cylinder (2 inlet, 2 exhaust), and an enlarged bore (66mm initially, later 68-69mm) giving more power, but the war prevented its use. Molsheim was soon occupied by the Germans and Bugatti found himself spending the next years in Paris working on aero engines.
In 1919 Ettore Bugatti reoccupied the factory himself, finding it happily undamaged, and resumed production of the 8-valve chassis and then the new 16-valve version. Wins at Le Mans in 1920 and at Brescia (1921) in voiturette races once more established his reputation and regular production of the car, now known as the Bugatti Brescia, followed steadily. The long-wheelbase chassis were now known as Bugatti Type 22 (7ft 10½in) and the Bugatti Type 23 (8ft 4½in) but the designation Bugatti Type 13 was retained for the short racing model. Improvements followed such as a crankshaft carried on ball bearings, better crank lubrication, a prettier radiator, and eventually 4-wheel brakes: in spite of these changes the similarity between the last chassis in 1926 and the first in 1910 is striking.
In 1922 Bugatti produced his first 8-cylinder production model, the Bugatti Type 30, with a 2-litre 60x88mm engine, an overhead camshaft and 2 inlet and 1 exhaust valve per cylinder. This 3-valve layout had been seen on the pre-war Bugatti Garros car(Black Bees) and the aero engines. Racing versions were entered in the 1922 French Grand Prix at Strasbourg, Friderich, Bugatti’s faithful mechanic, finishing 2nd. Production continued for the next few years of the 4-cylinder and 8-cylinder cars; an abortive attempt to produce a successful streamlined ‘Bugatti Tank’ with the 2-litre engine was made for the French GP at Tours in 1923 and then for 1924 Bugatti made the successful effort to produce a racing car which combined performance with aesthetic quality – the Bugatti Type 35 was the result.
The new 1924 car had the Bugatti Type 30 engine with its plain bearing crank replaced with a full ball and roller bearing, built-up unit, and a completely new chassis of fine lines carrying a handsome body, and first class brakes inside cast aluminium wheels. Tyre trouble prevented success in its first outing but soon success followed success, culminating in the world championship in 1926.
Although reluctant at first to fit a supercharger as his competitors had, Bugatti eventually in 1926 added one to the car to produce the Bugatti Type 35C (2-litre, 60x88mm), Bugatti Type 35B(2.3-litre, 60x100mm) and Bugatti Type 39 (1.5-litre, 60x66mm). A sports car version (Bugatti Type 35A) used the touring engine, and in 1926 a 4-cilinder (69x100mm, 1.5-litre) engine appeared, similar in layout to the 8-cylinder engine, but with a 5-(plain bearing crankshaft, which when fitted to the GP chassis became the main sports car version (Bugatti Type 37). Later this too had a blower fitted and became very potent (Bugatti Type 37A).
In the period 1926 -1929 a profusion of Bugatti models was listed for sale: racing types T35, T35B, T35C, T39; sports version Types 35A, T37, T37A; the touring model Type 30 replaced with a similar Type 38, later itself replaced by the 3-litre 8-cylinder Type 44 (69x100mm); Type 40 using the 4-cylinder engine from the Type 37; a splendid Bugatti Type 43GP sport four-seater using the Type 35B engine in a long-wheelbase chassis and catalogued as the fastest sports car in the world (110mph) which it was; and to crown all the Bugatti Royale.
The Bugatti Royale (Type 41) was to be Bugatti’s car of kings. It had a 12.7-litre (125x130mm) 8-cylinder engine of typical Bugatti layout producing over 250hp, fitted in an enormous chassis, intended to carry the works of the world’s finest coachbuilders. Although a batch of 25 was projected only six were built and indeed only three were sold (in 1932 – 1933), the financial crisis of 1929 intervening to spoil Bugatti’s plans.
Around 1930 Bugatti continued to produce fine cars mixed with oddities. The Bugatti Type 44 3-litre touring car became the Type 49 with the bore increased from 69 to 72mm, one of the best models. The Bugatti Type 46 5.3-litre with a 3-speed gearbox in the back axle was introduced as a small size Royale and several hundred were produced. A racing Bugatti 16-cylinder (Type 45, 47) was made, having some success in hillclimbs, and later an unsuccessful 4-wheel drive Type 53. The de luxe 5.3-litre had a new twin ohc engine fitted to become the Bugatti Type 50 of 4.9-litres, very exciting and exotic but rather too powerful to be safe, even in the racing version, the Type 54.
The GP Type 35 had a new engine with twin overhead camshafts fitted in 1931 to become the Type 51, a very successful and fine-looking car which was perhaps the most effective racing model Bugatti ever produced, but the search for power and the competition demanded a larger car. Thus in 1933 Bugatti produced the Type 59 3.3-litre racing car which was his last racing production except for specialized single-seaters. Meanwhile a sports version of the Type 51, the Bugatti Type 55, had appeared usually with a roadster body among the handsomest ever fitted to a car.
The touring equivalent of the Type 59, the Bugatti Type 57, was the last Molsheim model to go into production; about 800 T57’s were produced between 1934 and 1939. This had a twin-ohc 72x100mm, 3.3-litre engine, integral 4-speed gearbox, and a conventional Bugatti chassis with semi-elliptic springs at the front and reversed quarter-elliptic at the rear. Later supercharged versions (Type 57C) and sports versions (Type 57S, 57SC) were produced.
Production of Bugatti cars was interrupted by the war, and only sporadic and half-hearted attempts were made ( a few Bugatti Type 101 models were produced) to resume car manufacture after Ettore Bugatti’s death in 1947. In 1956 two Formula 1 GP cars were built. Known as the Bugatti Type 251, they had 2½-litre straight-8 engines mounted transversely behind the driver in a space frame. One was driven by Trintignant in the 1956 French GP at Reims, but retired, and the cars were never heard of again.
Bugatti is now part of the Volkswagen group and is still producing sport cars.
Source: Georgano, encyclopedia of motorcar; HGC
The information is written with the greatest of care. However, if you have any suggested amendments please contact us at office@prewarcar.com
W.R. Morris (later Lord Nuffield), an Oxford cycle and motor agent, launched his Morris-Oxford light car in 1913. This Morris car was made from proprietary parts, the engine being a 1-litre T-head four by White and Poppe. At £175 the Morris car was one of the best of the true light cars (as opposed to cyclecars) and over 1.000 Morris cars had been sold by the end of 1914. A larger model, the famous Morris Cowley, arrived on the scene in 1915; this Morris car was assembled from American components, the engine being by Continental. After World War 1 Morris cars marketed two 1½-litre L-head sv fours, with power units by Hotchkiss of Coventry; the Morris Cowley differed from the Morris Oxford mainly in its more austere equipment and the absence of a starter. In an inflationary climate, Morris cars was brave enough to reduce the prices of its Morris cars(a Morris Cowley two-seater cost £465 in October 1920, £299.10s a year later, and £225 in October 1922) and ensured a steady flow of Morris carproduction by acquiring his suppliers, such as Hotchkiss, Wrigley (transmissions) and Hollick and Pratt (bodies).
The Morris ‘bullnoses’ were soon best-sellers backed by a nation-wide service organization of Morris cars, and in 1925 Morris outsold all his competitors with 54.000 Morris cars. From 1924 to 1926 the staple Morris cars were the 1½-litre Morris Cowley and the 1.8-litre Morris Oxford, both with 3-speed gearboxes and the wet-plate clutches which persisted on some Morris carmodels right up to 1939. The Morris Oxford acquired front wheel brakes in 1925, and they were available as an option on Morris Cowleys a year later. 1927 Morris cars produced the flat radiator and also a venture into the export market with the unsuccessful Empire Oxford Morris car of 2½-litres, which had a 4-speed box and worm drive. Equally unsuccessful was a plan to market Gallicized Morris cars built in the Léon Bollée plant at Le Mans.
Meanwhile Cecil Kimber had produced the first of the Morris-Oxford-based MG sports cars, and a new name had been born. Morris had made a few six-cylinder Morris cars in the early 1920s, but his first serious attempt in this direction with Morris cars was a 2½-litre ohc model for 1928, the engine of this Morris car inspired by the Wolseley 16/45, a make which had come under Morris control the previous year. 1929 saw another ohc Morris car, the 847cc Morris Minor at £125. Never a best-seller, the Morris car none the less served as the basis for MG’s Midget. The 1930 6-cylinder Morris cars had hydraulic brakes, extended down the range until they were universal by 1934 on all Morris cars, and in 1931 Morris managed to offer a simplified sv two-seater version of the Morris Minor for £100. The early 1930s proved very difficult for the Morris car company, which had no obvious best-seller and too many different models of Morris cars. Sliding roofs and electric fuel pumps by the Morris-owned S.U. concern were innovations for 1932 and 1933 Morris cars pioneered the semaphore-type traffic indicator in Britain. That year Morris cars sv 1.3-litre Morris Ten-Four came out as an answer to Austin’s Ten and Hillman’s Minx. All 1934 Morris cars had synchromesh and the bigger sixes the added refinement of a free wheel.
The best-seller Morris car came at last in 1935 with the 918cc sv Series I Morris Eight, which retailed at £132.10s for a fully-equipped Morris car saloon and helped reach their first million Morris cars by the summer of 1939. In a bigger category were the Series II Morris carmodels with modern styling, 3-speed gearboxes, and built-in jacking systems, ranging from a revised Morris Ten-Four up to a 3½-litre 6-cylinder Morris Twenty-Five at £280. These Morris cars were contemporary with the Series I, though introduced some months after that Morris car. All 1938 Morris cars except for the Morris Eight had push-rod ohv engines (already applied to Wolseley and MG). Later that year Riley was absorbed into the Nuffield Morris car empire. Two 1939 winners were a revised Series E 8hp with a 4-speed gearbox and headlamps faired into the wings of the Morris car, and the 1.140cc ohv Series M Ten, which introduced integral construction to Cowley and this Morris car was made after World War 2 by Hindusthan in India.
Only the 8 and 10 Morris cars were made in the first post-war years, the first really new Morris car for ten years being the 1949 Morris cars designed by Alex Issigonis. Of these the MM series Morris Minor used the old 8hp sv engine, but boasted integral construction, rack-and-pinion steering and torsion-bar independent front suspension and set a new standard in popular car handling. A million of the basic design Morris cars had been sold by January 1961. Its companion Morris carmodels, also chassisless, and with independent front suspension were a new sv 1½-litre Morris Oxford and the 2.2-litre ohc Morris MS Type Six.
The amalgamation of Nuffield and Austin to form the British Motor Corporation in 1952 resulted in a gradual process of rationalization. First the Morris Minor went over to Austin’s 803cc ohv A30 engine in 1953. The Series II Oxford Morris car and its less powerful companion, the Morris Cowley, of 1954 had Morris hulls, but their engines were also ohv Austins. In 1955 the Morris carrange was completed by a new Isis using the 2.6-litre BMC 6-cylinder unit – this Morris car was discontinued in 1958. In the late 1950s some Morris cars were made and sold in Australia under the Morris car name which were in fact more closely akin to other makes in the BMC group. The 6-cylinder Morris Marshall was really an Austin A105, while both the Major and its Austin counterpart, the Lancer, were based on the Wolseley 1500.
With the arrival of the Farina-styled 1½-litre Morris car saloons in 1959, differences between Austin and Morris cars had been reduced to house colours and radiator emblems. The front-wheel-drive Mini (1960) was shared between the two makes and though its bigger stablemate, the 1100 of 1963 with Hydrolastic suspension, was initially a Nuffield monopoly Morris car, the inevitable Austin variant followed a year later. In the case of the third front-wheel-drive model, the 1800, Austin were ahead of Morris cars in introducing it by nearly eighteen months. The 1968 Morris car range comprised the fwd Mini, 1100/1300, and 1800 as well as the conventional 1.600cc Oxford and the indestructible Morris Minor 1000, now with 1.098cc engine and still selling close on 60.000 Morris cars a year. This sole survivor of independent Morris car design did not disappear until the end of 1970. Minis became a separate make that year. From 1971 Morris car versions of the 1100 and 1300 disappeared; the name was reserved for the Marina, an orthodox rear-wheel-driven family saloon with Minor 1000 front suspension, semi-elliptics at the rear, and drum brakes on the simpler variant Morris cars. Push-rod 1.300cc and 1.800cc B.L.M.C. 4-cylinder engines were used, and the original 2-door coupé and 4-door saloon were joined by a station wagon Morris car in 1973. The largest fwd cars were still available with Morris car badges – there was a version of the 6-cylinder 2200 in 1972.
Source: Georgano, encyclopedia of motorcar; MCS
The information is written with the greatest of care. However, if you have any suggested amendments please contact us at office@prewarcar.com


