The global magazine and marketplace for classic car enthusiasts, by enthusiasts.
The global magazine and marketplace for classic car enthusiasts, by enthusiasts.









W.R. Morris (later Lord Nuffield), an Oxford cycle and motor agent, launched his Morris-Oxford light car in 1913. This Morris car was made from proprietary parts, the engine being a 1-litre T-head four by White and Poppe. At £175 the Morris car was one of the best of the true light cars (as opposed to cyclecars) and over 1.000 Morris cars had been sold by the end of 1914. A larger model, the famous Morris Cowley, arrived on the scene in 1915; this Morris car was assembled from American components, the engine being by Continental. After World War 1 Morris cars marketed two 1½-litre L-head sv fours, with power units by Hotchkiss of Coventry; the Morris Cowley differed from the Morris Oxford mainly in its more austere equipment and the absence of a starter. In an inflationary climate, Morris cars was brave enough to reduce the prices of its Morris cars(a Morris Cowley two-seater cost £465 in October 1920, £299.10s a year later, and £225 in October 1922) and ensured a steady flow of Morris carproduction by acquiring his suppliers, such as Hotchkiss, Wrigley (transmissions) and Hollick and Pratt (bodies).
The Morris ‘bullnoses’ were soon best-sellers backed by a nation-wide service organization of Morris cars, and in 1925 Morris outsold all his competitors with 54.000 Morris cars. From 1924 to 1926 the staple Morris cars were the 1½-litre Morris Cowley and the 1.8-litre Morris Oxford, both with 3-speed gearboxes and the wet-plate clutches which persisted on some Morris carmodels right up to 1939. The Morris Oxford acquired front wheel brakes in 1925, and they were available as an option on Morris Cowleys a year later. 1927 Morris cars produced the flat radiator and also a venture into the export market with the unsuccessful Empire Oxford Morris car of 2½-litres, which had a 4-speed box and worm drive. Equally unsuccessful was a plan to market Gallicized Morris cars built in the Léon Bollée plant at Le Mans.
Meanwhile Cecil Kimber had produced the first of the Morris-Oxford-based MG sports cars, and a new name had been born. Morris had made a few six-cylinder Morris cars in the early 1920s, but his first serious attempt in this direction with Morris cars was a 2½-litre ohc model for 1928, the engine of this Morris car inspired by the Wolseley 16/45, a make which had come under Morris control the previous year. 1929 saw another ohc Morris car, the 847cc Morris Minor at £125. Never a best-seller, the Morris car none the less served as the basis for MG’s Midget. The 1930 6-cylinder Morris cars had hydraulic brakes, extended down the range until they were universal by 1934 on all Morris cars, and in 1931 Morris managed to offer a simplified sv two-seater version of the Morris Minor for £100. The early 1930s proved very difficult for the Morris car company, which had no obvious best-seller and too many different models of Morris cars. Sliding roofs and electric fuel pumps by the Morris-owned S.U. concern were innovations for 1932 and 1933 Morris cars pioneered the semaphore-type traffic indicator in Britain. That year Morris cars sv 1.3-litre Morris Ten-Four came out as an answer to Austin’s Ten and Hillman’s Minx. All 1934 Morris cars had synchromesh and the bigger sixes the added refinement of a free wheel.
The best-seller Morris car came at last in 1935 with the 918cc sv Series I Morris Eight, which retailed at £132.10s for a fully-equipped Morris car saloon and helped reach their first million Morris cars by the summer of 1939. In a bigger category were the Series II Morris carmodels with modern styling, 3-speed gearboxes, and built-in jacking systems, ranging from a revised Morris Ten-Four up to a 3½-litre 6-cylinder Morris Twenty-Five at £280. These Morris cars were contemporary with the Series I, though introduced some months after that Morris car. All 1938 Morris cars except for the Morris Eight had push-rod ohv engines (already applied to Wolseley and MG). Later that year Riley was absorbed into the Nuffield Morris car empire. Two 1939 winners were a revised Series E 8hp with a 4-speed gearbox and headlamps faired into the wings of the Morris car, and the 1.140cc ohv Series M Ten, which introduced integral construction to Cowley and this Morris car was made after World War 2 by Hindusthan in India.
Only the 8 and 10 Morris cars were made in the first post-war years, the first really new Morris car for ten years being the 1949 Morris cars designed by Alex Issigonis. Of these the MM series Morris Minor used the old 8hp sv engine, but boasted integral construction, rack-and-pinion steering and torsion-bar independent front suspension and set a new standard in popular car handling. A million of the basic design Morris cars had been sold by January 1961. Its companion Morris carmodels, also chassisless, and with independent front suspension were a new sv 1½-litre Morris Oxford and the 2.2-litre ohc Morris MS Type Six.
The amalgamation of Nuffield and Austin to form the British Motor Corporation in 1952 resulted in a gradual process of rationalization. First the Morris Minor went over to Austin’s 803cc ohv A30 engine in 1953. The Series II Oxford Morris car and its less powerful companion, the Morris Cowley, of 1954 had Morris hulls, but their engines were also ohv Austins. In 1955 the Morris carrange was completed by a new Isis using the 2.6-litre BMC 6-cylinder unit – this Morris car was discontinued in 1958. In the late 1950s some Morris cars were made and sold in Australia under the Morris car name which were in fact more closely akin to other makes in the BMC group. The 6-cylinder Morris Marshall was really an Austin A105, while both the Major and its Austin counterpart, the Lancer, were based on the Wolseley 1500.
With the arrival of the Farina-styled 1½-litre Morris car saloons in 1959, differences between Austin and Morris cars had been reduced to house colours and radiator emblems. The front-wheel-drive Mini (1960) was shared between the two makes and though its bigger stablemate, the 1100 of 1963 with Hydrolastic suspension, was initially a Nuffield monopoly Morris car, the inevitable Austin variant followed a year later. In the case of the third front-wheel-drive model, the 1800, Austin were ahead of Morris cars in introducing it by nearly eighteen months. The 1968 Morris car range comprised the fwd Mini, 1100/1300, and 1800 as well as the conventional 1.600cc Oxford and the indestructible Morris Minor 1000, now with 1.098cc engine and still selling close on 60.000 Morris cars a year. This sole survivor of independent Morris car design did not disappear until the end of 1970. Minis became a separate make that year. From 1971 Morris car versions of the 1100 and 1300 disappeared; the name was reserved for the Marina, an orthodox rear-wheel-driven family saloon with Minor 1000 front suspension, semi-elliptics at the rear, and drum brakes on the simpler variant Morris cars. Push-rod 1.300cc and 1.800cc B.L.M.C. 4-cylinder engines were used, and the original 2-door coupé and 4-door saloon were joined by a station wagon Morris car in 1973. The largest fwd cars were still available with Morris car badges – there was a version of the 6-cylinder 2200 in 1972.
Source: Georgano, encyclopedia of motorcar; MCS
The information is written with the greatest of care. However, if you have any suggested amendments please contact us at office@prewarcar.com
Although the Hispano Suiza car became most famous as a French make, the origins of Hispano Suiza were Spanish, it was always made in Spain as well as in France (indeed, in greater numbers) and in the country of its birth Hispano Suiza cars outlived its French offshoot as far as serious production was concerned. The Swiss engineer Marc Birkigt, who had designed the Barcelona-built La Cuadra car in 1900, was responsible for the design of a car made in the same city from 1901 to 1904 and called the Castro. The first Hispano Suiza car, of 1904, was in fact the 20hp Castro renamed. A range of Hispano Suiza cars, with large, beautifully-built T-head pair-cast fours with live-axle drive and the luxury of water-cooled brakes was established and by 1907 these Hispano Suiza cars had found their way into the stables of King Alfonso XIII. Two similar sixes with 6.2- and 10.4-litre engines (the Hispano Suiza 30/40 and the Hispano Suiza 60/65) joined them in the following year. All were expensive machines of conventional design, intended mainly for the carriage trade – although not the Alfonso XIII model of 1912. In 1910 an Hispano Suiza racing voiturette won the Coupe de l’Auto race in France. This Hispano Suiza car had a T-head engine with a very long stroke. The Hispano Suiza Alfonso was based on it. Various versions were made, but the best-known, a 3.6-litre car, had cylinder dimensions of 80x180mm. The range of Hispano Suiza cars of tourer type was retained. While the design of the Hispano Suiza Alfonso did not change, thanks to its extreme popularity abroad, the rest of the Hispano Suiza models by 1913, were much more modern, consisting of monobloc 4-cylinder cars, still with long strokes, but with overhead valves operated by an overhead camshaft, all neatly enclosed. V-radiators relaced the former flat pattern in 1914. Two ohc fours, a Hispano Suiza 16hp and a Hispano Suiza 30hp, were listed until 1924. They were solid, reliable machines without front-wheel brakes, seen usually as taxis. By then, they had been overshadowed completely in the international field by the radically new Hispano Suiza H6B of 1919, which was made at the Paris factory and is dealt with under Hispano Suiza France. The next Hispano Suiza car model to originate in Spain, and the first six since before 1914, was a cheaper version of the Hispano Suiza H6B intended for the less opulent Spanish market, consisting of a basically similar but smaller engine of 3.7-litres, with an detachable cylinder head, installed in an H6B chassis. This power unit needed the assistance of a lower set of gear rations than those of the H6B, as it was expected to pull the same weight. This Hispano Suiza car was replaced by another ‘utility’ Hispano Suiza car in 1930, a 3-litre model with pushrod-operated overhead valves like the contemporary small Hispano Suiza car model in France. It had an interesting history; the design of this Hispano Suiza car was to have been taken up by Hudson in America, but because of the Depression American motorists were denied a Birkigt car. By 1935 the Hispano Suiza car had been enlarged to 3.404cc and there were three other sixes in the range: the 3.750cc Hispano Suiza Type 49, the 4.580cc Hispano Suiza Type 65, and the 8-litre Type Hispano Suiza 56bis, which had the same engine dimensions as the French-built car, Hispano Suiza H6C. The smaller sixes were made until 1944. In all, some 6.000 Hispano Suiza cars were produced by the Barcelona works, against about 2.600 from the Paris factory. One or two prototype Hispano Suiza cars of the French V12 were built at Barcelona but there was no series production.
In 1911, a French company with a Paris factory was founded to assemble the Hispano Suiza car from Spain, a hitherto obscure make that had recently won sporting renown in France and was already an established manufacturer of luxury vehicles in its home country, enjoying royal patronage. The Spanish market was poor compared with the rich potential of France and other motoring countries and so it was that when a superb new model of Hispano Suiza cars of the most modern and advanced design was introduced, it came from the French factory. This was the Hispano Suiza H6B of 1919, the first French-developed Hispano Suiza car. It gained such immediate and lasting fame that henceforth, Hispano Suiza car was regarded as a primarily French make, and the products of the Spanish Hispano Suiza car factory (though made in great numbers) fell into onscurity. The Hispano Suiza H6B was designed as the last word in advanced transport for the rich. The engine of this Hispano Suiza car was the outcome of the company’s experience of aircraft engine manufacture during World War 1 – a field in which it was already famous. Its six cylinders, totalling 6.6-litres, were of aluminium, with light steel liners. The cylinder head was fixed on the Hispano Suiza car. A single overhead camshaft operated two valves per cylinder. This engine gave 135bhp at 3.000rpm. A 7-bearing, pressure-fed crankshaft coped with the power. Thus a good power-to-weight ratio was combined with reliability on Hispano Suiza cars, according to the best aviation practice. The chassis was light, yet rigid, and extremely efficient servo-assisted four-wheel brakes were provided to check the 85mph which was available on Hispano Suiza cars in top gear. In spite of a high final drive ratio of 3.4 to 1, the engine developed such excellent low-speed torque that 6 to 50mph in an Hispano Suiza car in top gear occupied only 21 seconds.
The new Hispano Suiza car was not quiet compared with the cars of competitors who counted silence above mechanical efficiency, but in its combination of most of the desirable qualities of a true luxury car – comfort, flexibility – and of the sporting machine – first rate reliability, performance, brakes and handling – the Hispano Suiza car was unique in 1919. Not surprisingly, what amounted to a single-model policy was pursued for many years. Alongside the Hispano Suiza H6B, the Hispano Suiza H6C Sport or Boulogne model appeared in 1924. Bore and stroke were 110x140mm against the H6B’s 100x140mm, giving eight litres. This fabulous Hispano Suiza car was capable of up to 110mph and could be had in short-chassis form. Modified Hispano Suiza H6B’s had won the Coupe Boillot at Boulogne in 1921, 1922 and 1923, in the last instance with the 8-litre engine, which accounted for the new Hispano Suiza car’s name. The H6B and H6C were both still available in 1929, and, as the Hispano Suiza car Tipo 56bis, the latter was made in Spain well into the 1930s. From 1924 to 1927, the former was made by Skoda of Czechoslovakia, under licence. In 1930 Hispano Suiza took over Ballot and fitted a smaller, 4.6-litre, 6-cylinder engine into a Ballot chassis. This Hispano Suiza Junior model, which had central gearchange, was not a car in the same class as its predecessors. In spite of the coming of the Depression, however, in 1931 Hispano Suiza cars produced their biggest, most complex and most expensive design. This Hispano Suiza car was the V12 which abandoned, for the first time since 1919, the six-in-line, overhead-camshaft layout. Cylinder dimensions were ‘square’, at 100x100mm, providing 9½-litres and even greater low-speed torque than that of the old H6B. The overhead valves were operated by push-rods and rockers. Top gear ratio was now 2,75:1 and bottom 5,4:1, or about the same ratio as the top gear of many family saloons of the period. All Hispano Suiza V12s could exceed 100mph and in its fastest, short-chassis open form, the Hispano Suiza car was said to attain 115mph. The V12 was made until 1938. Meanwhile, the Hispano Suiza Junior had been superseded in 1935 by the 4.9-litre, 6-cylinder Hispano Suiza K6, which used push-rod overhead valves like its big brother Hispano Suiza car. It too was current until 1938. Hispano Suiza of Paris then abandoned car production, never to resume it. A prototype Hispano Suiza car was built after World War 2, with front-wheel drive and a Ford V8 engine, but it never achieved catalogue status.
Source: Georgano, encyclopedia of motorcar; TRN
The information is written with the greatest of care. However, if you have any suggested amendments please contact us at office@prewarcar.com

