The global magazine and marketplace for classic car enthusiasts, by enthusiasts.
The global magazine and marketplace for classic car enthusiasts, by enthusiasts.









The brothers J.W. and W.D. Packard bought a Winton in 1898 and determined to improve upon it. The result was the first 12hp Packard car of 1899. This Packard car followed traditional early-American lines with a single horizontal cylinder, central chain drive, buggy styling and wire wheels, but the Packard car was more advanced than its competitors in having a 3-speed and reverse gearbox and automatic spark advance. This gave way to the wheel-steered Model C Packard car, which proved capable of 40mph. An even more powerful Packard car, a single old for $3.000 in 1903 and on one of these Fetch and Krarup Packard cars successfully drove from San Francisco to New York in 61 days. In the same year a very big Packard car four of over 12 litres’ capacity was designed on European lines by Charles Schmidt, late of Mors. This Packard car sold for $7.500 and led to the famous Packard Model L, the first Packard car to bear the classic Packard radiator. This Packard car had side valves in an L-head and the gearbox was mounted in unit with the back axle; a similar engine was used in the racing car Gray Wolf, a streamlined lightweight Packard car capable of 75mph. 1906 Packard cars had T-head engines and magneto ignition in place of coil; engine capacity was 5¾-litres, increasing to 7-litres Packard cars in 1907 with the introduction of the famous ‘Packard 30’, from which 60bhp was claimed. For the next few years these high-quality four-cylinder Packard cars engaged all Packard’s attentions, the ‘Packard 30’ at $4.200 being joined by a short-wheelbase Packard 18 intended for use as a town carriage. Dry-plate clutches were adopted on Packard cars in 1910 and in 1911 a third model joined the range: Packard cars first six, the 7¼-litre ‘Packard48’.
Six-cylinder Packard cars only were offered in 1913, when electric lighting and starting were standardized. Spiral bevel final drive followed in 1914. Revolutionary was the world’s first series-production 12-cylinder, the Packard Twin-Six, which Packard car was announced in 1915 for 1916: this Packard car was also the first American touring car to use aluminium pistons and was quite modestly priced at $2.600. First series Packard cars had the unusual combination of left-hand drive and left-hand gear-change, abandoned on later series Packard car which also had detachable cylinder heads. A special racing car version of the Packard car, the 905 with a much bigger engine, recorded 149.9mph in the hands of Ralph de Palma at Daytona in 1919. From 1916 to 1920 only the Packard Twin Six was made, but this Packard car was then joined by a straightforward sv Single-Six selling from $2.350 up. This Packard car was given front-wheel brakes as standard replaced the Packard Twin-six during 1923; the Packard car came in two wheelbase lengths. A tourer Packard car cost $3.750 and it was the ancestor of the whole line of ‘Senior’ Packard cars up to 1939. 1925 Packard cars had centralized chassis lubrication and over 40.000 sixes were sold, as against less than 5.700 eights. Innovations on Packard cars for 1927 were a hypoid back axle, and a bigger 8-cylinder engine of 6.3-litres’ capacity, developing 106bhp. Only eight-cylinder Packard car were made in 1929, in which year a 5.3-litre Standard model was catalogued at $2.435, while in 1930 a limited series of ‘Packard 734’ sports models with high axle ratio, 145 bhp engines and 4-speed gearboxes was introduced. 1932 Packard cars had V-radiators. An inexpensive Packard Light 8 at $1.750, using the 5.3-litre engine, proved uneconomic to make, but there was also an excellent 7-litre V12 and all Packard cars had synchromesh gearboxes and vacuum-servo brakes. The Packard car company’s styling with its traditional radiator shape continued up to 1939.
In 1935 the Packard car company made a bid for the low-priced market with the 3.7-litre straight-8 ‘Packard 120’ with hydraulic brakes and independent front suspension, priced from $980, as against $2.475 for the Packard Standard-eight, $2.990 for the Packard Super-eight and $3.820 for the Twelve. The new Packard car model accounted for 24.995 of the 31.889 cars sold by Packard cars that year and was joined two seasons later by a very similar 3.6-litre six, the ‘115’ at $860; this and the ‘120’, now enlarged to 4.6-litres, were made in a separate factory. In 1938, 50 percent of the Packard car company’s labour force was engaged in making the senior Packard cars which accounted for no more than 8 percent of total production.
In 1937 hydraulic brakes and independent front suspension were standardized on Packard cars throughout the range. 1939 was the last year of the true senior Packard cars; column change was introduced and overdrive was available on all Packard cars except the Twelve. Air conditioning was a 1940 option and 1941 brought the first of the handsome Packard Clipper line, made in 4-litre 6-cylinder and 4.6-litre straight-8 versions. Expensive Packard cars were still made, with custom bodywork by Rollson, Le Baron and Darrin available on the 5.8-litre chassis. During World War 2, body dies for the bigger, conventionally-bodied Packard cars were sold to the Soviet Government, the result being the 1945 Z.I.S.
Production of Packard cars was resumed with the Clipper 6 and 8 in 1946, but Packard never regained their former pre-eminence. Styling was unfortunate and the Packard car company retained the old straight-8 until 1954, though they evolved their own ‘Ultramatic’ automatic transmission in 1949 and had power brakes, steering and window lifts in 1954. Super-luxury Packard cars included the eight-seater Executive limousine at $6.900 in 1953 and the big Caribbean convertible.
The 1954 merger of Packard cars with Studebaker brought about a new 260bhp, ohv V8 with an ingenious inter-linked torsion-level suspension, while engines were sold to American Motors for their Nash and Hudson lines. Sales fell to a depressing 13.000 in 1956 and though the Packard lingered on until 1958, the last two seasons’ cars were nothing more than disguised Studebakers.
Source: Georgano, encyclopedia of motorcar; MCS
The information is written with the greatest of care. However, if you have any suggested amendments please contact us at office@prewarcar.com
The American Benjamin Berkeley Hotchkiss set up his ordnance Horchkiss car factory at St. Denis in 1867; the Hotchkiss cars were the result of an arm slump. The work of Terrasse, these first Hotchkiss cars were T-headed fours with pair-cast cylinders, 5-ball-bearing crankshafts, low-tension magneto ignition, round honeycomb radiators, 4-speed gearboxes, and the famous Hotchkiss drive by live axle and open propeller shaft. Initially cylinder capacities of Hotchkiss cars were 4.6-litres and 7.4-litres, but the Hotchkiss car company’s first racers of 1904 were 17.8-litre monsters notable for their aiv and chain drive. Though their 1905 successors conformed once more to touring-car practice, they were even bigger Hotchkiss cars, with 18.815cc and an alleged 130bhp. Hotchkiss’s last racing season was 1906 with their Grand Prix Hotchkiss cars had 16.3-litre L-head units and quick-detachable wire wheels. Though these Hotchkiss cars were unsuccessful, Hotchkiss sold 167 cars that year, with gate change standardized, and a choice of five Hotchkiss car models: a short-lived 4.2-litre petrol brougham, fours of 18, 30 and 42hp, and their first six. The last-mentioned Hotckiss car was the large V-type that evolved into a 9½-litre machine and was still being offered in 1912 as a Hotckiss car. Chassis price was £1.000 and it was capable of 60mph.
The slump following the Agadir crisis led to the abandonment of ball-bearing crankshafts on Hotchkiss cars; at the same time there was a move towards smaller Hotchkiss cars with the 3.1-litre T-type, with side valves in an L-head and high-tension magneto ignition. Two years later came something even smaller and more modern, the 12/16hp Hotchkiss X-type with 2-bearing crankshaft and three forward speeds at £390. Soon monobloc engines spread up the range to the 3.7-litre Hotckiss AB of 1912. From 1911 there were some smaller L-head sixes, the 4.678cc Hotchkiss X6 and the 5½-litre Hotchkiss AC6; 1912 sales were a record 598 Hotchkiss cars. Electric lighting was available from 1913, and all the 1914 Hotchkiss car models – the 2.6-litre Hotchkiss AG, the 4-litre Hotchkiss AF, the 5.7-litre Hotchkiss AC, and the 6-cylinder Hotchkiss AC6 – had semi-elliptic suspension all round.
The wartime demand for Hotchkiss machine guns led to the establishment of a branch factory under the Englishman Harry Ainsworth, this subsequently making engines for W.R. Morris until it was absorbed by him in 1923. At home Hotchkiss sold off their surplus works capacity at Lyons and concentrated on a revised Hotchkiss car again, the AF with full electrics and a horseshoe-shaped radiator in place of the traditional round one. Its successor, the Hotchkiss AH of 1921, had cantilever rear springs and torque tube drive, and a year later came the Hotchkiss AL with ohv, and a detachable head; front-wheel brakes were added for 1923. There was also a prototype luxury Hotchkiss car at the 1921 Paris Salon; this Hotchkiss AK had a 6.6-litre 6-cylinder ohc engine, dual ignition, 4-speed unit gearbox, servo-assisted 4-wheel brakes, and a cruciform-braced frame, but it never went into production.
The return of Ainsworth to St. Denis in 1923, coincided with the construction of a new Hotchkiss car factory and a more realistic type of car, the 2.4-litre 12CV Hotchkiss AM, with 4-cylinder sv engine, 4-speed unit box, four-wheel brakes, wire hwwls, and Hotchkiss drive once more. Between 1924 and 1928 it was the Hotchkiss car company’s staple product, selling at the rate of over a thousand a year and offering a 70mph performance at a modest outlay. It persisted until 1932, acquiring ohv in 1926 and rod-operated brakes in 1928, and its engine was used in some Morris-Léon Bollées. Even better was the Hotchkiss AM80 of 1929, largely the work of Bertarione. This was a short-stroke (80x100mm), 7-bearing ohv 3-litre six that owed a good deal to the AM2, though early cars featured torque tube drive; it was to be the basis from which all subsequent Hotchkisses were evolved. A silent 3rd gearbox featured on 1931 Hotchkiss car models, Hotchkiss drive reappeared in 1932, and 1933 improvements included Bendix brakes, cruciform-braked frames, down-draught carburetors and mechanical fuel pumps. Hotchkiss AM80 engines were also fitted to Sizaire Frères and Tracta cars.
The 1933 Hotchkiss car range was expanded both up and down, with new Hotchkiss 12CV (2-litre) and 13CV (1.3-litre) fours for the economy market, and an 85mph fast tourer, the 100bhp 3½-litre Hotckiss AM80S, for the enthusiast. This Hotchkiss car was based on the car with which Vasselle won the 1932 Monte Carlo Rally. Hotchkiss cars repeated this success in 1933 and 1934: in the latter year the Hotchkiss cars collected two Glazier Cups in the Alpine Trial. There were further wins in the Monte Carlo in 1938 and 1939; on the latter occasion a Grand Sport Hotchkiss car tied with a 3½-litre Delahaye. Radiators were moved forward on the 1934 Hotchkiss cars, and the 3-litre gave way to a 2.650cc 15CV that was not a success and lasted only one season. The 1935 Hotchkiss cars had synchromesh and integral boots, and at the top of the 3½-litre 20CV range was the twin-carburettor Hotckiss Paris-Nice, a 115bhp sports car capable of 95mph. Hydraulic brakes appeared in 1936 on Hotchkiss cars (to be quietly dropped halfway through 1937). The sports 20CV engine was now giving 125-130bhp and when allied to a short 9ft 2in wheelbase resulted in the Hotchkiss Grand Sport, a true 100mph saloon.
By 1938 the horseshoe radiator on the Hotchkiss car was now a wire-mesh grille, but despite the exigencies of French rearmament programmes the Hotchkiss car company managed to deliver 2.751 Hotchkiss cars that year, made up of the two fours, the reinstated 3-litre Hotchkiss 680, and the 3½-litre Hotchkiss 686 in various forms, including seven-seater limousines with the single-carburettor 100bhp engine. Hotchkiss also came to the rescue of the ailing Amilcar concern, helping to make the Grégoire-inspired 1.185cc Compound, a small fwd saloon with unitary construction in Alpax; this was sold in England, though not in France, as a Hotchkiss car. A 1.3-litre ohv development, the Hotchkiss B67, was ready for production when France collapsed in the summer of 1940.
Hotchkiss never really recovered from World War 2, though Peugeot were briefly interested in the Hotchkiss car company and Hotchkiss 686 cars won the first two post-war Monte Carlo Rallies of 1949 and 1950. The Hotchkiss 12CV and Hotchkiss 20CV were back in production, unchanged, by 1946, but the first year’s output was a miserable 117 Hotchkiss cars. Hydraulic brakes and independent front suspension did not appear until 1949 on Hotchkiss cars (though Hotchkiss had experimented with the latter in 1937), and a Cotal electric gearbox became a factory option. The 1951 Hotchkiss car models were ‘facelifted’ with V-screens, recessed headlamps and auxiliary coil rear suspension, but in the meantime there had been an expensive mistake: the acquisition by Hotchkiss of the rights to the Grégoire flat-4. This ingenious device was a development of the 1938 Amilcar theme featuring all-round independent suspension and a 4-speed overdrive gearbox, as well as front wheel drive. Production Hotchkiss car models with 2.2-litre engines were said to achieve 95mph and 30mpg, but the teething troubles were endless, and Hotchkiss only managed to make 250 Hotchkiss cars in the end. There was a shutdown in 1952 and the price of recovery was a merger with Delahaye that led inevitably to concentration on commercial vehicles. The old Hotchkiss cars 13CV and 20CV received another facelift in time for the 1954 Paris Salon, but his was their swansong, though medium-powered trucks continued to be made until 1970, along with a version of the American Jeep built under licence.
Hotchkiss of Coventry, a British offshoot of the famous French Hotchkiss car firm, was set up during World War 1 to make engines in Britain. Their units became best known as the motive power for Morris and BSA light cars, but before they were taken over by William Morris, Hotchkiss experimented with a small car of their own. The Hotchkiss car consisted of their 1.080cc air-cooled V-twin ohv engine installed with a 3-speed gearbox in a pre-war Morris Oxford chassis. It never went into production.
Source: Georgano, encyclopedia of motorcar; MCS, TRN
The information is written with the greatest of care. However, if you have any suggested amendments please contact us at office@prewarcar.com


