The global magazine and marketplace for classic car enthusiasts, by enthusiasts.
The global magazine and marketplace for classic car enthusiasts, by enthusiasts.




W.R. Morris (later Lord Nuffield), an Oxford cycle and motor agent, launched his Morris-Oxford light car in 1913. This Morris car was made from proprietary parts, the engine being a 1-litre T-head four by White and Poppe. At £175 the Morris car was one of the best of the true light cars (as opposed to cyclecars) and over 1.000 Morris cars had been sold by the end of 1914. A larger model, the famous Morris Cowley, arrived on the scene in 1915; this Morris car was assembled from American components, the engine being by Continental. After World War 1 Morris cars marketed two 1½-litre L-head sv fours, with power units by Hotchkiss of Coventry; the Morris Cowley differed from the Morris Oxford mainly in its more austere equipment and the absence of a starter. In an inflationary climate, Morris cars was brave enough to reduce the prices of its Morris cars(a Morris Cowley two-seater cost £465 in October 1920, £299.10s a year later, and £225 in October 1922) and ensured a steady flow of Morris carproduction by acquiring his suppliers, such as Hotchkiss, Wrigley (transmissions) and Hollick and Pratt (bodies).
The Morris ‘bullnoses’ were soon best-sellers backed by a nation-wide service organization of Morris cars, and in 1925 Morris outsold all his competitors with 54.000 Morris cars. From 1924 to 1926 the staple Morris cars were the 1½-litre Morris Cowley and the 1.8-litre Morris Oxford, both with 3-speed gearboxes and the wet-plate clutches which persisted on some Morris carmodels right up to 1939. The Morris Oxford acquired front wheel brakes in 1925, and they were available as an option on Morris Cowleys a year later. 1927 Morris cars produced the flat radiator and also a venture into the export market with the unsuccessful Empire Oxford Morris car of 2½-litres, which had a 4-speed box and worm drive. Equally unsuccessful was a plan to market Gallicized Morris cars built in the Léon Bollée plant at Le Mans.
Meanwhile Cecil Kimber had produced the first of the Morris-Oxford-based MG sports cars, and a new name had been born. Morris had made a few six-cylinder Morris cars in the early 1920s, but his first serious attempt in this direction with Morris cars was a 2½-litre ohc model for 1928, the engine of this Morris car inspired by the Wolseley 16/45, a make which had come under Morris control the previous year. 1929 saw another ohc Morris car, the 847cc Morris Minor at £125. Never a best-seller, the Morris car none the less served as the basis for MG’s Midget. The 1930 6-cylinder Morris cars had hydraulic brakes, extended down the range until they were universal by 1934 on all Morris cars, and in 1931 Morris managed to offer a simplified sv two-seater version of the Morris Minor for £100. The early 1930s proved very difficult for the Morris car company, which had no obvious best-seller and too many different models of Morris cars. Sliding roofs and electric fuel pumps by the Morris-owned S.U. concern were innovations for 1932 and 1933 Morris cars pioneered the semaphore-type traffic indicator in Britain. That year Morris cars sv 1.3-litre Morris Ten-Four came out as an answer to Austin’s Ten and Hillman’s Minx. All 1934 Morris cars had synchromesh and the bigger sixes the added refinement of a free wheel.
The best-seller Morris car came at last in 1935 with the 918cc sv Series I Morris Eight, which retailed at £132.10s for a fully-equipped Morris car saloon and helped reach their first million Morris cars by the summer of 1939. In a bigger category were the Series II Morris carmodels with modern styling, 3-speed gearboxes, and built-in jacking systems, ranging from a revised Morris Ten-Four up to a 3½-litre 6-cylinder Morris Twenty-Five at £280. These Morris cars were contemporary with the Series I, though introduced some months after that Morris car. All 1938 Morris cars except for the Morris Eight had push-rod ohv engines (already applied to Wolseley and MG). Later that year Riley was absorbed into the Nuffield Morris car empire. Two 1939 winners were a revised Series E 8hp with a 4-speed gearbox and headlamps faired into the wings of the Morris car, and the 1.140cc ohv Series M Ten, which introduced integral construction to Cowley and this Morris car was made after World War 2 by Hindusthan in India.
Only the 8 and 10 Morris cars were made in the first post-war years, the first really new Morris car for ten years being the 1949 Morris cars designed by Alex Issigonis. Of these the MM series Morris Minor used the old 8hp sv engine, but boasted integral construction, rack-and-pinion steering and torsion-bar independent front suspension and set a new standard in popular car handling. A million of the basic design Morris cars had been sold by January 1961. Its companion Morris carmodels, also chassisless, and with independent front suspension were a new sv 1½-litre Morris Oxford and the 2.2-litre ohc Morris MS Type Six.
The amalgamation of Nuffield and Austin to form the British Motor Corporation in 1952 resulted in a gradual process of rationalization. First the Morris Minor went over to Austin’s 803cc ohv A30 engine in 1953. The Series II Oxford Morris car and its less powerful companion, the Morris Cowley, of 1954 had Morris hulls, but their engines were also ohv Austins. In 1955 the Morris carrange was completed by a new Isis using the 2.6-litre BMC 6-cylinder unit – this Morris car was discontinued in 1958. In the late 1950s some Morris cars were made and sold in Australia under the Morris car name which were in fact more closely akin to other makes in the BMC group. The 6-cylinder Morris Marshall was really an Austin A105, while both the Major and its Austin counterpart, the Lancer, were based on the Wolseley 1500.
With the arrival of the Farina-styled 1½-litre Morris car saloons in 1959, differences between Austin and Morris cars had been reduced to house colours and radiator emblems. The front-wheel-drive Mini (1960) was shared between the two makes and though its bigger stablemate, the 1100 of 1963 with Hydrolastic suspension, was initially a Nuffield monopoly Morris car, the inevitable Austin variant followed a year later. In the case of the third front-wheel-drive model, the 1800, Austin were ahead of Morris cars in introducing it by nearly eighteen months. The 1968 Morris car range comprised the fwd Mini, 1100/1300, and 1800 as well as the conventional 1.600cc Oxford and the indestructible Morris Minor 1000, now with 1.098cc engine and still selling close on 60.000 Morris cars a year. This sole survivor of independent Morris car design did not disappear until the end of 1970. Minis became a separate make that year. From 1971 Morris car versions of the 1100 and 1300 disappeared; the name was reserved for the Marina, an orthodox rear-wheel-driven family saloon with Minor 1000 front suspension, semi-elliptics at the rear, and drum brakes on the simpler variant Morris cars. Push-rod 1.300cc and 1.800cc B.L.M.C. 4-cylinder engines were used, and the original 2-door coupé and 4-door saloon were joined by a station wagon Morris car in 1973. The largest fwd cars were still available with Morris car badges – there was a version of the 6-cylinder 2200 in 1972.
Source: Georgano, encyclopedia of motorcar; MCS
The information is written with the greatest of care. However, if you have any suggested amendments please contact us at office@prewarcar.com
One of the greatest names in the history of motoring, Panhard et Levassor car sprang from a woodworking-machinery firm founded by Périn and Pauwels in 1845, which passed into the hands of René Panhard and Emile Levassor on Périn’s death in 1886. In the same year Levassor’s friend Edouard Sarazin acquired the Daimler patents rights for France; he died in 1887 and his widow subsequently married Levassor.
A Panhard et Levassor car with a centrally-mounted V-twin Daimler engine was running successfully in 1891, and after experiments with rear engines the partnership settled for what was to become the classic automobile layout – engine at the front, gearbox amidships, and driven rear hweels, though as yet the gears were exposed, and final drive was by central chain. These early Panhard Levassor cars had 4 speeds forward and reverse, and sold for 3.500fr. Solid rubber tyres were adopted on Panhard Levassor cars in 1892, and in 1894 a Panhard Levassor car was fitted with a Maybach float-feed carburetor in place of the surface type, an improvement standardized in 1895. A Panhard Levassor car was awarded joint 1st place (with Peugeot) in the 1894 Paris-Rouen Trial, and the following year enclosed gearboxes were used for the first time on the Panhard Levassor car. Emile Levassor was the moral (if not the technical) victor of the Paris-Bordeaux-Paris Race that year with a Panhard Levassor car, when wheel steering and the 2.4-litre vertical-twin Phénix engine also made their appearance. On all Panhard Levassor cars up to 1900 the side-brake was inter-connected with the clutch. 4-cylinder engines were used in 1896 Panhard Levassor racers, and made available to the public in 1898; the Panhard Levassor car marque’s win in the Paris-Marseilles-Paris Race was, however, clouded by Emile Levassor’s death as the result of a spull during the race.
Gradually the classic Panhard Levassor car configuration took shape; aluminium gearbox casings were first seen in 1897, as was the rear-mounted G and A radiator. Wheel steering and pneumatic tyres came into general use on Panhard Levassor cars in 1898, and frontal tubular radiators in 1899. By 1900 the touring Panhard Levassor car had crystallized into the archetype of the medium-sized Panhard Levassor car: armoured-wood frame, quadrant change, automatic inlet valves, drip-feed lubrication, final drive by side chains, plus such features as piano-type pedals (dropped in 1907), and cylindrical controls on the steering-wheel (still founded in 1911). Makers like MMC and Star in Britain, and Dürkopp in Germany produced near- Panhard Levassor cars, and Montague Napier installed his first car engine of 1899 in a Panhard Levassor car chassis. In 1899 Commandant Krebs of the Panhard Levassor car company’s board produced a rear-engined single-cylinder voiturette of retrogressive design, with centre-pivot steering, but the licence was quietly sold to Clément.
So far only Mors had challenged Panhard Levassor cars racing supremacy. 1898 victories included the Marseilles-Nice Race, Paris-Amsterdam-Paris and the Paris-Bordeaux Race, in which last Charron averaged 26.9mph with a Panhard Levassor car. A year later Girardot (later to partner Charron in the CGV venture) was averaging 32.5mph with a Panhard Levassor car to win the Paris-Ostend Race. Though 1900 was a Mors year apart from Charron’s victory in the first Gordon Bennett Cup with a Panhard Levassor car, and in 1901 was little better, apart from the exploits of the voitures légères with 3.1-litre 4-cylinder engines, Panhard Levassor cars did well under the 1.000-kilogram formula of 1902 with their 13.7-litre 70: this Panhard Levassor car retained automatic inlet valves and the flitch-plate frame, but recorded wins in the Circuit des Ardennes and the Circuit du Nord. Mechanically-operated inlet valves were seen on the 1903 racer Panhard Levassor cars, while in 1904 the Panhard Levassor car firm was using 15.4-litre engines, vast V-radiators, and shaft drive on their competition Panhard Levassor cars, being awarded with victories in the Circuit des Ardennes and the Vanderbilt Cup, the driver of the Panhard Levassor car in both races being the American, George Heath, Mercedes, Brasier, and FIAT were, however, in the ascendant, and though Panhard Levassor car continued to race up to 1908 (trying dashboard radiators in 1907) they never regained their former position.
The same conservatism permeated their touring Panhard Levassor cars. In 1900 the Hon. C.S. Rolls’s Panhard Levassor car was by far the fastest machine in the 1.000-Miles Trial, and the 1.7-litre 7hp twin Panhard Levassor car of 1901 (still with tube as well as low tension electric ignition) was a good seller at £340. That year brought the Krebs automatic carburetor and the Centaure engine governed on the inlet, while the Panhard Levassor car company briefly took up the manufacture of the De Boisse 3-wheeler. Tube ignition was still available as a standby on a Panhard Levassor car in 1902, in which year Dr. Lehwess tried to drive round the world in a 25hp Panhard Levassor omnibus weighing 3 tons – he got no further than Nizhni Novgorod. Sales were still a respectable 1.200 Panhard Levassor cars in 1904, but the Panhard Levassor cars were hard to sell, and the Hon. C.S. Rolls gave up his London agency for this reason. A chain-driven 3-cylinder 8/11hp Panhard Levassor car with a 1.8-litre engine at £425 was hardly the answer (though this Panhard Levassor car was still catalogued in 1908), but in 1904 the bigger Panhard Levassor cars went over to shells for their tubular radiators, mechanically operated inlet valves, and high-tension magneto ignition.
At the top end of the range in 1905/ 1906 were the Model Q Panhard Levassor car, a 50hp 4-cylinder of 10.5-litres with 5-bearing crankshaft at £1.580, and an even bigger 11-litre 6-cylinder with a bonnet 5ft long which sold for £1.400 in 1906. Multiplate clutches arrived on Panhard Levassor cars in 1907, and shaft drive (on the smaller Panhard Levassor cars) in 1908, in which year compressed-air starters were alo available, and the range of Panhard Levassor cars included a 1.2-litre twin and a 5-litre chain-drive six. Pressed-steel frames at last ousted armoured wood, and though a monstrous chain-driven 4-cylinder Panhard Levassor cars could still be bought in 1909, a true sign of the times was a monobloc 2.4-litre 12/16 with high tension magneto ignition. Gate change was standard on Panhard Levassor cars in 1910, and the biggest model Panhard Levassor car was not a chain-driven 6-cylinder 6-litre. 1911 was the last year of the twin, and also the first production year for the Knight sleeve-valve engine introduced on a 4.4-litre 25hp Panhard Levassor car with separate cylinders, a choice of chain or shaft drive, and a chassis price of £580. 42bhp and 59mph were claimed for this, and a smaller Knight-engined 2.6-litre 15hp Panhard Levassor car was available in 1912, when Panhard Levassor cars had all their brakes on the rear wheels, the classic V-radiator (used Panhard Levassor cars until 1936) made its appearance on de luxe versions, and wire wheels were available. V-radiators and 4-cylinder engines were universal in 1914; only the small Panhard Levassor cars had poppet valves, and the big sleeve-valve 4.8-litre and 7.4-litre Panhard Levassor cars were seen with skiff-type bodywork of great elegance.
Though 2.2-litre poppet-valve Panhard Levassor cars were made from 1919 to 1922, Panhard Levassor settled down to a long association with the Knight engine, and managed to extract some performance from it by the use of light steel sleeves from the middle 1920s. Other oddities on Panhard Levassor cars were expanding-band brakes, a push-on handbrake, and a peculiar X-gate gear change which took some learning. In 1922 the sleeve-valve range on Panhard Levassor cars was extended at both ends by a rather ponderous 1.2-litre ten with central change, left-hand drive, thermo-syphon cooling and a cone clutch instead of the usual wet-plate, and by a big 6.3-litre straight-8 Panhard Levassor car with front-wheel brakes, twin magnetos, and twin carburetors, which Panhard Levassor car was made until 1930.
All 1924 Panhard Levassor cars had front-wheel brakes, dynamotos, and 4-speed gearboxes and the smaller ones had splash lubrication. The 4.8-litre 4-cylinder Panhard Levassor car was quite a fast car which took the World Hour Record at 115.3mph in 1925, and in its 5.3-litre 1929 form the Panhard Levassor car could exceed 90mph. The straight-8 Panhard Levassor cars with bored-out 7.9-litre engines also had a long career in record work which did not until 1934, but another aspiring record-breaker – an ultra-narrow 1½-litre single-seater Panhard Levassor car steered by a hoop around the cockpit – came to nothing.
The first 6-cylinder sleeve-valve Panhard Levassor car was the 3.4-litre Panhard Levassor 20/60 of 1927, soon followed by the 1.8-litre 16/45 and the 2.3-litre twin-carburettor Panhard Levassor 18/50. Silent-3rd gearboxes were adopted on Panhard Levassor cars in 1929, and a year later an all-silent type had been evolved – in 1931 this was fitted to 3.5-litre 6-cylinder Panhard Levassor car and 5-litre 8-cylinder cars were centralized chassis lubrication coil ignition, a sheet steel platform between the rear cross-members of the frame, but still having wood wheels and the X-gate. This Panhard Levassor car range continued until 1936, though later Panhard Levassor cars had free wheels, automatic clutches and wrap-round windscreens reminiscent of the Arrol-Johnstons of the early 1920s; the Panhard Levassor cars were expensive, the big 8-cylinder Panhard Levassor 8DSR costing 95.000fr or 15.000fr more than the most luxurious Renault.
For 1937 there was the startling Panhard Levassor Dynamic, still a sleeve-valve six (it came in 2.5-litre, 2.7-litre and 3.8-litre sizes) but this Panhard Levassor car was with backbone chassis, hydraulic brakes, worm drive, and all-round rosion bar independent suspension. Faired-in headlamps, wheel spats front and rear, and a central driving position completed a bizarre ensemble, though a reversion to left-hand drive was made with the 1939 Panhard Levassor cars.
There was a complete volte face after 1945, and the Panhard Levassor car became a utility car of considerable performance with the advent of the Dyna series. These Panhard Levassor cars were air-cooled front wheel drives flat-twins of 610cc based on a Grégoire design, in which torsion bars served as valve springs for the ohv gear; the light alloy bodywork of the Panhard Levassor car was by Facel-Métallon, front suspension was independent, rear suspension by a live axle and torsion bars, and the 4-speed gearbox had an overdrive top and dashboard change. The original version of this Panhard Levassor car was followed by a 32bhp 750cc version in 1950, and two years later there was an 850cc 5CV Panhard Levassor car as well. Specialist cars using Panhard mechanical elements were D.B. (from 1948), Veritas (1950), Marathon (1954), and Arista (1957). Even faster Dyna Panhard Levassor cars were evolved and the special Monopole of Hémard and de Montrémy won the index of Performance at le Mans three years in succession (1950-1952); further wins in this category were scored in 1953 (with a Panhard Levassor car works-sponsored streamliner designed by Riffard) and again in 1963. Rally successes of Panhard Levassor cars included a Coupe des Alpes in the 1952 Alpine Rally, a class win in the 1954 Monte Carlo Rally, and an outright win in 1961. The Panhard Levassor car company offered their own sports variant, the Panhard Levassor Junior, in 1953; this 38bhp roadster was followed a year later by a supercharged Panhard Levassor car, the 62bhp version.
Far more ambitious was the 1954 Panhard Levassor Dyna saloon, a bulbous and ugly machine in alloy (no castings were used). Both the engine-transmission group and the dead rear axle were removable as units, a petrol heater was standard, and the Panhard Levassor car could carry six people at 80mph with a 40mpg petrol consumption. The Panhard Levassor car was expensive in England at £1.055, but it pushed sales up from around 14.000 in 1951 to 30.000 Panhard Levassor cars in 1957, and it survived in the range for ten years. All-steel bodywork was standardized on the Panhard Levassor car in 1958, and from 1961 there was a high-performance (over 90mph) version, the 60bhp Panhard Levassor Tigre at £1.127. Over 100mph was claimed from the hotter Panhard Levassor 24CT and CD sports coupés introduced for 1964. In 1955 Citroën took an interest in the Panhard Levassor car company, and ten years later the old-established Panhard Levassor car concern was fully integrated into the SA André Citroën, thus giving its new owners greater factory space. In 1967, Panhard Levassor cars last year, only the coupé versions of the Dyna were being manufactured, in 50bhp and 60bhp 850cc forms, the 24CT with all-round disc brakes.
Source: Georgano, encyclopedia of motorcar; MCS
The information is written with the greatest of care. However, if you have any suggested amendments please contact us at office@prewarcar.com


