D.F.P.
France, 1906 – 1926
Doriot, Flandrin et Parant, Courbevoie, Seine
Doriot and Flandrin had worked for Clément-Bayard and Peugeot, and their first products were straightforward shaft-driven single-cylinder voiturettes with transverse rear suspension, sold as Doriot-Flandrins until Parant arrived to complete the triumvirate. The singles DFP cars were still being marketed with 1100cc engines as late as 1910, but the 1908 DFP car range already included two 4-cylinder cars with sv Chapuis-Dornier engines of 2.4-litres and 2.8-litres capacity. By 1910 there was a small DFP four, the very successful DFP 10/12hp of 1.6-litres, with L-head Monobloc engine, magneto ignition, thermos-syphon cooling, cone clutch and 3-speed gearbox. There was also a DFP 25/30hp 6-cylinder car in 1911. In 1912 DFP started to make their own engines the ‘DFP 10/12’ being joined by an excellent 2-litre ‘DFP 12/15’ with pressure lubcrication, 3-bearing crankshaft and 4-speed gearbox, capable of 2500rpm and 55mph. Further, the British concession was acquired by the brothers W.O. and H.M. Bentley, who ran the ‘12/15’ in competitions; by the end of 1913 a specially prepared example of the DFP car had been timed of the half-mile at 89.70mph. Nothing, however, could be done with the DFP 16/22hp, a 2.8-litre (later 3-litre) machine with pair-cast cylinders and poor performance. In 1914 came the sporting DFP 12/40hp with V-radiator and electrics: for this model the Bentleys persuaded D.F.P. to fit aluminium pistons, as a consequence of which a 65mph performance was available for only £320. W.O. Bentley finished 6th in that year’s T.T., an excellent effort for a 2-litre car competing against specialized 3.3-litre machines.
DFP never recovered fully from World War 1 and Bentley’s decision to set up as a manufacturer in his own right meant that the DFP car company lost its best export market. A DFP 12/15hp chassis now cost £675 as against £290 in 1914. Failing finances forced the DFP company to use proprietary engines, Altos for the 2-litre models, and a Sergant in the ‘10/12’, which went American in 1922 with central change and coil ignition, but reverted to a magneto in 1923. 1922 ‘DFP 12/40s’ had 4-wheel brakes, and a year later this model was supplanted by an ohv 4-speed ‘13/50’, once again with a DFP-built engine. At the same time the DFP company marketed the little D.F.Petite, a sporting machine in the Amilcar idiom, with an ohv 1100cc engine, 3-speed gearbox, quarter-elliptic springing all round and a back axle without differential. This DFP car had front-wheel brakes by 1925, but a year later production had ceased, the DFP car factory being acquired by the Lafitte concern.
Source: Georgano, encyclopedia of motorcar; MCS
The information is written with the greatest of care. However, if you have any suggested amendments please contact us at office@prewarcar.com
Rauch & Lang
US, 1905 – 1928
(1) Rauch & Lang Carriage Co, Cleveland, Ohio, 1905 – 1916
(2) Baker, Rauch & Lang Co, Cleveland, Ohio, 1916 – 1922
(3) Rauch & Lang Electric Car Manufacturing Co, Chicopee Falls, Mass., 1922 – 1928
Rauch & Lang were an old-established carriage building firm (founded 1853) when they began to make electric Rauch & Lang cars in 1905. These Rauch & Lang cars followed the usual pattern for such electric vehicles, being mainly closed town cars, although a few open phaeton Rauch & Lang cars were also made. The biggest Rauch & Lang cars were heavier vehicles and included a six-seater limousine with separate outside seat for the chauffeur. Some Rauch & Lang cars had 4-doors, a very unusual feature in electric cars. In 1916 the Rauch & Lang cars became part of the Baker, Rauch & Lane group and production declined. From 1919 onwards the Rauch & Lang cars were sometimes listed as Raulangs, and from 1922 this became the official name of the Rauch & Lang cars.
By this time production of Rauch & Lang cars had been transferred to the Stevens-Duryea factory at Chicopee Falls where the number of private cars made was very small. The factory, which was still turning out a few Stevens-Duryeas, also made petrol and electric taxi-cabs under the name Rauch & Lang cars, and bodies for Stanley Steamers.
Source: Georgano, encyclopedia of motorcar; GNG
The information is written with the greatest of care. However, if you have any suggested amendments please contact us at office@prewarcar.com