The global magazine and marketplace for classic car enthusiasts, by enthusiasts.
The global magazine and marketplace for classic car enthusiasts, by enthusiasts.


The brothers Henry and Clem Studebaker opened a blacksmith’s and wagon-building shop in South Bend in 1852, horse-drawn vehicles of their construction serving in both the American Civil War and World War 1, and production continuing until 1919. Their first Studebaker cars were electrics, made in modest numbers from 1902 to 1912: these Studebaker carwere joined in 1904 by the Model-C petrol Studebaker car, a typically American 16hp flat-twin with amidships engine, 2-speed gearbox, and chain drive. This Studebaker carwas followed a year later by a vertical 4 on more European lines, this Studebaker car was selling for $3.000. For the next few seasons, however, Studebaker electred to act as selling gents for Studebaker cars built to their order, and their more expensive offerings of Studebaker cars were built by Garford of Elyria. The cheaper machines were the EMF and Flanders built by the Everitt-Metzger-Flanders Co, and these two makes accounted for 9.700 Studebaker cars in 1910. 1913 saw a brace of Studebaker cars made at South Bend, both with sv monobloc engines, dual ignition, and electric lighting and starting: the 3-speed gearboxes on the Studebaker cars were mounted in unit with the back axles, and the 6-cylinder Studebaker car was claimed to be the first such car to retail in the USA for less than $2.000. In 1914 there was a smaller, 15/20hp Studebaker car with 3.2-litre 4 with coil ignition only. Studebaker sold over 45.000 Studebaker cars in 1915, and their sixth position in 1916 US sales was matched by a seventh place in 1920. 1919 was the last year for 4-cylinder Studebaker cars, and the 1920 Studebaker cars, while retaining separate gearboxes, abandoned the transaxle layout. Studebaker carmodels available were 6s of 4.7-litres and 5.8-litres, the latter establishing a line of really large 6-cylinder Studebaker cars which survived until 1928. An inexpensive 3.3-litre Studebaker Light 6 joined the range in 1921, and 1923 Studebaker cars had all-metal bodies with welded steel pressings. Balloon tyres were standardized on Studebaker cars in 1925, in which year contracting-type hydraulic front wheel brakes were an option: open Studebaker cars were made with permanent tops of the ‘California’ type and detachable side-curtains. Front wheel brakes were standard on the Studebaker carin 1926, but the Studebaker carcompany reverted to mechanical actuation in 1927, in which year a ‘compact’, the Studebaker Erskine, was marketed. Studebaker cars went after stock-car records in a big way in the later 1920s, an outstanding performance of a Studebaker car being 25.000 miles in 25.000 minutes. The 1929 range Studebaker cars consisted of two 6s, the ‘Studebaker Dictator’ and ‘Studebaker Commander’ (at $1.265 and $1.495 respectively), and a brace of straight-eights of 4-litres’ and 5.5-litres’ capacity. Pierce-Arrow was acquired by the Studebaker car company in 1928, but regained its independence five years later. In 1930 Studebaker cars, with Plymouth, pioneered the free wheel, offered initially on 8-cylinder Studebaker cars alone, but available throughout the range by the latter part of the year, when the cheapest Studebaker car, the Light 6, could be bought in England for £295.
Another compact Studebaker carappeared under the Rockne nameplate in 1932. Special versions of the ‘Studebaker President 8’ distinguished themselves in the Indianapolis 500-Mile Race. Cliff Bergere’s Studebaker Special finishing 3rd, while in 1933 6th to 12th places were filled by similar Studebaker cars. Studebaker cars went into receivership in 1933, but came back strongly in 1934 with an unattractively-styled three-model range of Studebaker cars – the 3.4-litre ‘Studebaker Dictator 6’, the 3.6-litre ‘Studebaker Commander 8’, and the 4.1-litre ‘Studebaker President 8 ‘, all with synchromesh, free wheel, and X-braced frames. Subsequent evolution of Studebaker cars followed accepted American lines: transverse independent front suspension, automatic overdrive, and hydraulic brakes once more in 1935: a hill-holder (modernized version of the sprag) in 1936: headlamps half-faired into the wings of the Studebaker car in 1938: and column change in 1939, when Raymond Loewy became responsible for the Studebaker car Corporation’s styling. 1939 was also the first year for one of America’s longest-lived modern economy cars, the 2.7-litre 6-cylinder sv ‘Studebaker Champion’ selling at $765. Fluid couplings was available on the 1942 Studebaker car range, which included Studebaker cars last straight-8s. The revolutionary post-war ‘coming or going’ style with wrap-around rear window on Studebaker cars was launched by Loewy on the 1946/ 1947 Studebaker cars with 2.8-litre and 3.7-litre 6-cylinder engines. Sales climbed to 239.000 Studebaker cars in 1949, and the inevitable ohv V8 – a relatively small one of 3.8-litres – replaced the bigger 6 in 1951 Studebaker cars. Studebaker car companys answer to the big battalions was the low and elegant line of the 1953 Studebaker cars, which unfortunately became more cluttered down the years, and finances were not impoved by the merger of the Studebaker car company with Packard in 1954. An interesting departure was the sporting ‘Studebaker Hawk’ coupé powered by Packard’s V8 engine and Ultramatic transmission in 1956: 1957 versions had blown Studebaker car engines, the only example of a factory-equipped super-charger (save the 1954 Kaiser) since the Graham. The Studebaker car company managed to get their ‘Studebaker Lark’ compact sedan tooled and into production in ten months in 1959, and this descendant of the old sv ‘Champion’ was the only Studebaker car now offered with the exception of the ‘Studebaker Hawk’. The small 6 Studebaker car achieved ohv at long last in 1961, and 1962 saw the exciting fiberglass-bodied ‘Studebaker Avanti’ coupé with disc brakes on the front wheels, a 4-speed gearbox, and optional supercharger. The Studebaker car annexed 29 stock-car records, including a flying mile at 168.15mph, but neither this nor the continuing ‘Lark’ range could save Studebaker cars. A wide choice of Studebaker car models – two 6s and three 8s – was listed for 1964, but early in the season South Bend stopped making Studebaker cars, and production was transferred to the Canadian plant which had been assembling Studebaker cars since 1912. Even as an ‘import’, the Studebaker car did not sell well: the last examples of the Studebaker car marque had 3.2-litre 6-cylinder and 4.7-litre 8-cylinder Chevrolet engines, but even these were abandoned in the spring of 1966. Production of the ‘Studebaker Avanti’ was continued on a small scale by an independent factory in South Bend.
Source: Georgano, encyclopedia of motorcar; MCS
The information is written with the greatest of care. However, if you have any suggested amendments please contact us at office@prewarcar.com
The development of the Volkswagen car is closely linked with the name Ferdinand Porsche. After World War 1 he tried to realize one of his favourite schemes: a small economical car for a wide public. One of his attempts was the Austro-Daimler Sascha. He continued his efforts while working for Daimler-Benz at Stuttgart. His plan was brought a step nearer to fruition when he set up his own office at Stuttgart. There he designed small cars for Zündapp in 1932 with 5-cylinder radial engines, and for NSU in 1933 with 4-cylinder horizontally opposed units. But neither Zündapp nor NSU were able to invest vast sums during the Depression years and neither design was put into production, although a few prototypes were built.
In 1934 Porsche was directed by the Nazi government of the day to develop a small car and to build three prototypes. These prototypes Volkswagen cars were constructed by Porsche and his team in his own garage. They were ready in 1936 and the design became known as the VW3. Another series of 30 prototypes Volkswagen cars (VW30) was built in 1937 by Daimler-Benz and in Porsche’s newly founded workshops at Stuttgart-Zuffenhausen, the site of the present Porsche works. In 1938 the final version Volkswagen car, the VW38, was introduced. These types Volkswagen car had 704 or 984cc air-cooled engines. Also in 1938 the foundation stone for the new Volkswagen car factory was laid, and the name KdF-Wagen was officially adopted. KdF was the abbreviation for ‘Kraft durch Freude’ (strength through Joy), the Nazi organization which sponsored and financed the development of the Volkswagen car, controlling it through its newly founded Gesellschaft zur Vorbereitung des Volkswagen cars.
In his Stuttgart workshops, Porsche built three streamlined, Volkswagen-based sports cars with tuned engines for the intended Berlin-Rome Race of 1939, but this event was cancelled as a result of the outbreak of World War 2. They can be regarded as the forerunners of the Porsche sports car which appeared after the war. Until 1939 no Volkswagen cars were available for the public and only prototype Volkswagen cars existed. During the war the Volkswagen car was built in various versions for the armed forces with an increased engine capacity of 1.131cc. The Jeep-type Kübelwagen and an amphibious Volkswagen car, the latter with 4-wheel drive, were produced in large numbers and were the first Volkswagen cars to become widely known. After the war the Volkswagen car factory came under British control and a number of Volkswagen cars were assembled from parts. In 1945 a total of 1.785 Volkswagen cars was produced, this number being increased to 10.020 Volkswagen cars in 1946, all of them delivered to the British army. These private versions Volkswagen cars used the 1.131cc engine, developing 25bhp. In 1949 the Volkswagen car factory was released from British control and returned to German administration.
The Volkswagen car works themselves produced only the saloon version Volkswagen car but several convertible Volkswagen cars were offered by various firms. The four-seater convertible Volkswagen car by Karmann – one of Germany’s oldest coach-building firms – and the Karmann-Ghia two-seater convertible and coupé versions Volkswagen cars became part of the official sales programme. The Volkswagen car became known as a car which made no changes in body style although the technical details of the Volkswagen car were constantly improved. In 1954 the engine of the Volkswagen car was developed to 1.192cc and 30bhp and a further increase in engine output to 34bhp came in 1960. In 1961 the five millionth Volkswagen car was produced. In the same year a new model Volkswagen car was introduced, the Volkswagen 1500 with a 1.493cc 45bhp engine and new body, followed two years later by the 1500S Volkswagen car developing 45bhp. 1965 saw the ‘Beetle’ Volkswagen car with a 1.285cc 40bhp engine and the introduction of another new model the 1600TL Volkswagen car with a 1.584cc 54bhp engine. Since 1966 the Beetle Volkswagen car has also been available with the 1.493cc engine. The 1968 versions Volkswagen car of the 1500 Beetle and 1600 were available with a selective automatic transmission; at the same time 12-volt electrics were standardized on all Volkswagen cars save the basic 1200. In 1969 Volkswagen cars attempted to broaden their range with the Volkswagen 411, still an air-cooled flat-4, but this Volkswagen car was now featuring unitary construction, McPherson strut independent front suspension, and a new type of semi-trailing link independent rear suspension already tried on 1600s. The 1.679cc pushrod engine of the Volkswagen car developed 68bhp, and the Volkswagen car was sold as a 4-door saloon or estate car. The 1970 Volkswagen cars could be had with fuel injection. Another new Volkswagen car was the VW 181, an open jeep-type vehicle available in civilian or military guises. Sales that year were 1.621.197 Volkswagen cars. Prices for the Volkswagen cars ranged from DM4.626 for a 1200 saloon up to DM8.755 for the most expensive 411.
The Volkswagen 411, however, did not prove a great commercial success, and for 1971 Volkswagen cars took advantage of their ownership of the Audi-NSU combine to issue the latter firm’s piston-engined Ri80 derivative, the K70, under their own imprint. This development smacked of heresy at Wolfsburg, for the new Volkswagen car had a vertical 5-bearing water-cooled 4-cylinder ohc engine mounted at the front and driving the front wheels. The Volkswagen car came in 75bhp and 90bhp forms; other differences from the NSU prototype were the 4-speed manual gearbox, a wheelbase 6½in shorter, and a far lower price – DM 9.450 as against the DM17.300 asked for the Ro80. The Volkswagen Beetle was now available with a 60bhp 1.584cc engine and front disc brakes, McPherson strut front suspension being used on this version Volkswagen car. During 1972 the Volkswagen car firm began production of electrically-propelled light vans and Kombis. On 17 February 1972 the Volkswagen Beetle officially broke the Model-T Ford’s record of 15.007.003 units of an individual model. The 1973 Volkswagen Beetles had panoramic windscreens, an came in 1.2-litre, 1.3-litre and 1.6-litre sizes, with disc brakes available on all Volkswagen cars but the 1200. At the same time the 411E Volkswagen car with fuel injection was replaced by an improved 412E. The 1600 series Volkswagen car, the Karmann-Ghia coupés and the K70 were continued, as was the open VW 181.
Volkswagen cars are currently manufactured or assembled in several foreign countries and is one of the biggest car manufacturers in the world.
Source: Georgano, encyclopedia of motorcar; HON
The information is written with the greatest of care. However, if you have any suggested amendments please contact us at office@prewarcar.com

