The global magazine and marketplace for classic car enthusiasts, by enthusiasts.
The global magazine and marketplace for classic car enthusiasts, by enthusiasts.


Still active as a truck manufacturers within the Leyland Group, Albion was founded at the end of 1899 by T. Blackwood Murray and Norman Fulton, late of Arrol-Johnston and their early products were dogcarts with varnished-wood bodywork much in the Arrol-Johnston idiom, with 2-cylinder opposed-piston underfloor engines, low tension magneto ignition, and Murray’s patent governor. Wheel steering replaced the tiller in 1902, and a year later Albion began production of a 16hp vertical-twin which was made for many years, usually with solid tyres, and often with shooting-brake bodywork. ‘Cars for country houses’, especially Scottish ones, were a speciality of the house, though rather less rustic was a side-valve 5.6-litre chain-driven four introduced in 1906. This 24hp model had a seven-year production run. The last Albion passenger car was a 15hp Monobloc four with side valves in a T-head and worm drive, which sold for £475 in 1912. At the end of 1913 Albion elected to concentrade on commercial vehicles, though large shooting brakes using the 15hp engine continues to be made.
Source: Georgano, encyclopedia of motorcar; MCS
The information is written with the greatest of care. However, if you have any suggested amendments please contact us at office@prewarcar.com
The Wanderer firm – like many others – started with bicycle manufacture; motor cycles followed and led the way to Wanderer cars. Extensive experiments with Wanderer cars were undertaken. In 1905 the 2-cylinder Wanderermobil was ready, but this Wanderer car remained a prototype. Another Wanderer car – which is still in existence – is claimed to date from 1904.
It is reported by some sources that Ettore Bugatti offered a small car design to Wanderer in 1910 before starting manufacturing on his own. But Wanderer cars did not take over the Bugatti car, as their own Wanderer car designs were ready and they started production of these Wanderer cars in 1911. Their first production Wanderer car had a 4-cylinder 1.150cc, 5/12PS engine and a two-seater tandem body. This Wanderer car was popularly known as the Püppchen (doll). Engine capacity was increased to 1.220cc in 1914 and the output raised to 5/15PS. Three- and four-seater Wanderer cars were also available and this model Wanderer carwas listed until 1922. Some 4-cylinder models Wanderer car in the 1½- and 2-litre range followed udring the 1920s. A 6-cylinder Wanderer car (the W11) with a 2.540cc 50bhp engine was built under licence by Martini of Switzerland. The W11 was also available in a sports version of 2.995cc and 65bhp. In addition to 4-cylinder Wanderer cars, a range of 6-cylinder cars was built during the 1930s which were based on a Porsche design. These Wanderer cars had push-rod ohv engines, and later cars had swing-axle rear suspension.
A very sporty looking Wanderer car appeared in 1936, the W25K (K for Kompressor). The 1.936cc engine with blower developed 85bhp and the Wanderer car easily reached 93mph. However, this Wanderer car did not figure much in competitions and was produced in limited numbers only. After 1932 Wanderer was a member of the Auto Union. Their cars had a reputation for quality, finish and good performance although they were intended for workaday use. In the Auto Union catalogues they represented the ‘upper middle-class’. Wanderer car production ceased at the outbreak of World War 2 in 1939, by which time two sv models, with all-round independent suspension, a 1.8-litre four and a 2.6-litre six, were being offered.
Source: Georgano, encyclopedia of motorcar; HON
The information is written with the greatest of care. However, if you have any suggested amendments please contact us at office@prewarcar.com


